Chamber problem? I need answers...please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'll try to explain this chamber issue the best that I can.
If I stick my finger inside the chamber of an estate pipe and feel all the way around, the chamber walls feel smooth and cylindrical except for one spot. That one spot feels like a smooth divot...the pad of my index finger fits perfectly in the divot. Does that make sense? I was thinking about trying to fill it in with some pipe mud. Any suggestions or comments?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
If it isn't very deep I would just smoke it gently and let some cake build up in it and forget about it...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you are concerned, a little pipe mud for a patch would work, but I wouldn't worry personally. Carbon will eventually cover it over.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have had this problem occurred in two of my estate pipes which were reamed and due to overheating the lower part chamber got a smooth divot as was described above (My fault!)but eventually I managed to find a remedy, applying honey into the chamber then smoking gently, repeated the process and the issue was more or less solved satisfactorily.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@Paulie66, That's an interesting idea. I'll do a bit more research on that method. Thanks.
Thanks everyone for your responses. For now, I'm not going to worry about it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Honey=sugars=carbonization. You can do the same with sugar. Dampen the area, apply the sugar, let dry, perhaps repeat, then load carefully to just above the problem are.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank You JpMcWjr, Will keep this in mind for the future use(hope I'm not facing to these overheat caused issues no more,shame on me, I still wonder how on earth I managed to get two naked chambers to overheat to a degree that it was close to burnout I guess)in one of these pipes (Stanwell Flame Grain of Danish era)I had removed pre-carbonation or should I say it was rather a thick pre coating and another almost burned out pipe was an estate Gbd which has been professionally reamed by the previous owner,I'm so gland I got this issue fixed and now both these performs today quite nicely,as a side note,I must point out,both these 'almost burn out' pipes are quite thin walled especially that Ole Gbd.

Status
Not open for further replies.