PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
So at a high mass Sunday, the censer caught my attention. I was sitting there, "My God, look at the bowl on that thing!"
Then I set in to assessing the quality of its smoke (thin, seemed to me) and its room note. I couldn't help but think I could do better. (I am adult ADD. This is normal). I pictured myself walking around up there, swinging up my chin three times at things, a billiard jutting out prominently. People making the Sign of the Cross as I walked down the aisles.
So before mass ended, I was wondering: Is there a blend that smells like that, but tastes like tobacco? That's my question.
If so, I might have a calling.
(Where's the confessional. I'm going to hell-- *sigh*. Again.)
--

Censer_PSF_zps689ed6d5.jpg

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
You were an acolyte? Me, too. Ever pass out from that? Oh, boy. Once the other altar boy had to come catch me. I LOVED that smell. But kneeling in the cloud coming out of it? I remember much, much more smoke in the old days. Altar boy could disappear in that.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My brother in law caught on fire while an acolyte. He walked past a vent and it blew embers onto his robe. He was really confused why a man jumped out of the pew and started slapping him.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
@Winton:

This past Sunday, we had a young teen girl carrying one of the torches. She rested the torch on the ground during the Gospel Procession. She has rather long bangs, and she was lazily drooping her head over and over. Instead of listening to the reading, I was poised to slap her forehead when her hair caught on fire. Luckily, it never happened. She got within a fraction of an inch several times though. Sheesh... free help.......

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
My brother in law caught on fire while an acolyte. He walked past a vent and it blew embers onto his robe. He was really confused why a man jumped out of the pew and started slapping him.
He must have been absolutely incensed.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Pitchfork:
When other people are smoking Penzance, it always reminds me of incense.

Is it good?
As curmudgeonly as I am, I have to admit that it really is as good as everyone says it is. I'm not crazy about Latakia blends, but it's one of the very best. At the very least, it's one of the most fragrant and unique Lat blends out there.
What I meant was that you can really get a good sense of the room note when someone else (not you) is smoking it. It smells wonderful to me -- even my wife liked the smell and thought it smelled like incense.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Russ Ouellette said that the incense aroma is created by mixing Latakia with an Oriental variety.

Exactly which Latakia, Cyprian or Syrian, I don't know; and I have no idea which variety of Oriental would be used.

Email Russ, and he could help you out.
I loved that aroma in a tobacco produced by Sobranie Reserve Blend Oriental Mixture back in the mid '70s.

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I'm the acolyte master at our Episcopal (Anglican) parish. We have a mixture of kids and adults serving. I took a group of our acolytes to the National Acolyte Festival at Washington National Cathedral this past October. It was quite a sight to see approximately 1,000 acolytes participate in the opening procession. Each parish had to bring their own "hardware" to use at the event. The instructions were explicit that there be no live fire in the thuribles (censers). Only the Cathedral acolytes were allowed to use real smoke.
While we were there we learned about the incense that they use at National Cathedral. They have switched to a blend from Trinity called "Powder Blend", and complaints from the parishioners went down more than 90 percent. We purchased this blend for our own parish just before Holy Week, and we had ZERO complaints. We have been searching for a long time for a blend where we wouldn't get so many negative comments. I guess they know their stuff at the National Cathedral!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Ditto on the Westmoreland mixture. I would say the taste and aroma are pretty similar to the smell in old churches in France. Also, one of the few mixtures with Latakia that I smoke every couple months. Good stuff.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
With the exception of two funerals last year I haven't been to Mass in quite awhile. But I can still remember the smell of the incense they use.
On the subject of infrequent church-going. when did they change the call and response part of the liturgy? Threw me and about half the church off. (Catholic)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
On the subject of infrequent church-going. when did they change the call and response part of the liturgy? Threw me and about half the church off. (Catholic)
About a year ago, I think.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
When I was a kid on Opening Day of Fishing Season our priest wore waders under his robes. It was always a short mass that day, and as soon as it was over, he'd throw the robes off while saying good-bye to the parents. Then he'd load up 20 kids, fishing poles, and someone's old dog in an ancient station wagon and take us all fishing. Some of the dads would join us too. We all looked forward to "Opening Day Mass".
I remember Father Hamilton always had a bent apple shaped pipe in his mouth while he was baiting hooks. I wish the priests were like him now days, I'd probably still go to church even though the kneeling benches are hard on old knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.