PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I just received an order with two different Solani blends in 50g tins, and the Solani Silver in 100g tins. The 50g tins are the square tins that look exactly like Dunhill Flake and many others. I assume they are vacuum sealed and suitable for long term storage.
But the 100g tins don't look like they are vacuum sealed. They have a paper "seal" to show if the tin has been opened or not. I don't want to rip the paper seal if I don't need to. But maybe I need to?
The simple question: Do I need to jar up the 100g Solani tins?

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Can these 100g tins be foodsaver baged and vacuumed for long term? Like to keep in tin if possible.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
What an asinine move on their part not to make the 100g tins airtight. I have 2 pounds of Silver Flake in jars. To my mind they make a higher grade of tobacco, but the packaging is abominable.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
The OP was 2 years ago. Square tins are long gone if you order feom the major online sources.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Those aren't like the sealed square tins, they are just hinged flip top containers and the tobacco is in a taped cellophane bag.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"Can these 100g tins be foodsaver baged and vacuumed for long term? Like to keep in tin if possible."
A much better choice would be 5 mil aluminized Mylar bags that can be heat sealed. Vacuum sealing is not necessary.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I bought 2 100 gram tins of Solani 633. I put them in 2 Mylar bags and heat sealed them with an iron.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you re-tighten the ring periodically, jars can be used as the premium storage device long past your death; mylar? Tobacco compared to pipes is inexpensive, but why trust anything else? Last I posted this a guy started quoting his or someone's else's research as his justification for using an alternative. I have no facts to support jars and thus concede your superior position.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Duane, didn't know that about Sixpence. As good but less expensive, that's a win. Silver Flake is utterly wonderful!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Perhaps Solani considers their 100g tins bulk, as they are getting less money for it, $24.07/100g vs. $13.15/50g (smokingpipes). They may be refusing to be paid less and cut costs with a cheaper 100g tin. I would rather pay more for a seal but I suppose more wouldn't. So they are sacrificing quality to sales and earnings.
But I shudder to think of the sap that gets the 100g after it sits on a shelf for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.