PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

duggadugdug

Lurker
Sep 27, 2018
Seattle Pipe club makes some fine blends, and I'd buy a lot more of them if they used proper, metal tins that would withstand long-term cellaring (as they used to, with their inaugural commercial release of Plum Pudding a decade ago). Currently they use the cheaper, Sutliff-style cardboard "tins" constructed with a metal top and bottom crimped to foil-lined, cardboard sides. Sorry, but I don't trust those to keep a hermetic, moisture-maintaining seal long term. The anecdotal evidence is spotty and doesn't instill confidence. I saw someone opened an 8-year-old tin and pronounced it "fine," while someone else said 2 out of 25 of his tins had problems (spoilage or dehydration) -- an 8% failure rate. I'd be interested in hearing other folks' longer-term experiences.
The conventional wisdom when faced with such uncertainty is "jar it." That's fine as far as tobacco protection. But the SPC packaging is quite pretty, and decanting things into a mason jar reduces the value, should I want to sell or trade down the road. It's generally much cooler to have the authentic, period packaging.
So far, my chosen workaround is to enclose the entire, sealed tin in a heat-sealed 7.5mil food-grade mylar bag, which (if the manufacturing specs are to be believed) should provide gas-impermeable, moisture-retaining protection for at least 25 years. In case the cardboard tins aren't airtight, I don't vacuum seal the bag, so aerobic aging should continue within. I just pop it in, close the ziploc, and heat-seal the top opening (with either an iron or my wife's hair-straightener). The resulting foil pouch feels even more robust than the packaging of Esoterica 8 oz. bags. The one downside is that the sealed bags take up significantly more space -- it's not nearly as space efficient as just stacking tins on a shelf. But until hardier SPC tins come along, this is my favorite cellaring strategy so far.
I'd be glad to hear experiences and suggestions from other folks about cellaring cardboard tins, SPC or otherwise. Many thanks.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hmm I've never come across anyone specifically cellaring cardboard tins. If you are cellaring to re-sell down the road, sounds like you have the right idea, even if it takes up more space. But it would just be easier to put it in mason jars.

I have some Sutliff tins that go back to even before I came on this forum, back when I was still unsure about the differences between aromatics and non-aros, and even with the pull top open and just the plastic cap, it is all still moist, with me checking on it every few years, thinking, hmmm, maybe I like it now... nah.
Most came from going to pipe events, where Sutliff people were throwing free tins at people, begging them to try them. Many were used as hockey pucks, door stops, fodder for juggling practice, etc... So, many of mine have taken a beating, along with the aging process.
I just leave them in the cardboard. Maybe if my target years was twenty years down the line, I would worry... but it is getting closer to twenty years, and no desire to smoke them, but the contents are still moist. Taking tobacco out of their tins and putting them into jars is relatively a new idea. I don't remember ever hearing of someone doing this till this year. I have heard discussion about the paper tins, but even agreeing in threads of year's past that jarring might be wise, I just never did.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Good post and answers. I was wondering the same thing, as I’ve added several SPC blends to my cellar and was contemplating jarring them, but haven’t gotten around to it. I think I’ll just leave them, as I plan on smoking over the next year or so.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My experience with those kind of tins (which are considered "food grade") are that they last at the very least - depending on the conditions they are stored in - eight years. I've never had one fail, but I keep mine inside the house at temperature control.

Reactions: jbn951

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
I have never yet had any issues with SPC type tins.

Plum Pudding and Potlatch are among my most heavily cellared blends.

No problems.

Reactions: jbn951

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Depends on how long term you are thinking. If you thinking 10-20 years, forget about tins. Jar it.
Is this your view on all tins? Or just the style mentioned in this thread? It would pain me to open and jar my tins of Christmas Cheer. I have read about tin failure, but I wonder how much of a concern it really is for tins stored in a climate-controlled environment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had Sutliff blends around for several years in cardboard "tins," maybe up to five years, and the contents were just fine -- feel, smell, and actual smoking, with moisture content holding but not goopy (in the blends I've had). I certainly use jars, but I'm not as dogmatic about it as some. I'm not a tobacco expert, as everyone knows, but I smoke moderately, so my tobacco tends to hang around quite a while whatever it is in, so I run this experiment just by habit.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I continue to be flummoxed by the ongoing discussion of storage methods other than jars. While jars are ever reliable, other methods may or may not be comparable.
But these threads don't go away; there is another active right now.
Duh.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
5 gallon mylar bags are quite reasonably priced. Keep the tobacco in the cardboard tins, seal the cardboard tins in 5 gallon mylar bags. Why speculate on the reliability of the tins? If you discover they weren't reliable 10 years down the road, too late to fix the problem then and you can't make up the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.