PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Afternoon all,
I'm looking for a little advice on cellaring plugs.
The plugs I get here all come in plastic pouches (apart from Condor).
Do I leave the plugs in the pouches and stash them in the draw, or do I take them out of the pouch and jar them?
All suggestions welcome.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
What is the pouch made of and how is it constructed? If there is any chance that the tobacco will oxidize I'd say jar it. Jarring 'baccy is my go-to method for tobaccos prepared in all formats (ready rub, flake, coin, plug, rope, etc.).
-- Pat

K

klause

Thanks, Pat - I'm leaning that way.
The pouches are typical OTC type things, made of plastic and sealed - fairly robust.
Jason.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
If you're talking about the same Condor packaging that I'm thinking about, then I'd say take it out and jar it. That thin sweet-wrapper style thing will do nothing to preserve it.

K

klause

Dryseason, I leave the Condor in the wrapper, but jar them (quite a stash, now) - they take up very little space.
Plugs like warrior or yachtsmans come in that big packet that looks solid enough.
Think I'm just going to open 'em all and jar them up.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Jar them up to be safe. Those pouches will work for awhile but not years. I picked up some half pint canning jars and can fit 5 stacked plugs in one jar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If the plugs do not come in vacuum sealed tins like Peterson 3p then I would jar them upon arrival. My Wessex Gold Brick comes in cellophane so it gets put up in my normal long term aging containers.

K

klause

Michael, Harris,
Much appreciated - tomorrow, on my rounds, I'll pick up some jars and get cracking.
Might need to get a few more plugs........y'know.....just to fill the jars to the top.........no point sealing part filled jars, eh?
Thanks for the comments, gents.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Anything in a pouch or bag I unpack and immediately jar. Even if the bag's integrity is never compromised(a pin prick hole is all it takes), I do not want anything plastic touching my baccy for long term storage. Plastic is usually off-gassing, and over the years it could impart an awful taste.
I once had a couple of bags of two different blends from the same company that had aged for over 10 years in kevlar bags. Both had the same wretched smell and were ruined for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
klause, glad I could help. Buying more tobacco to fill empty jars you have on hand is definitely a great reason to buy more. Anything to justify a tobacco purchase works in my book. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.