PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cavendish is interesting. It's a process, not a leaf. I associate it as a condiment tobacco often used to build the volume of smoke with other tobaccos. It is also a standard base for aromatic flavors. I think some smoke it unflavored by itself as a mild "all day" regular smoke. There is a sort of sub-set of blends of both dark and gold Cavendish leaf. Is there more to know about Cavendish? I enjoy its presence when it shows up in blends, not too often, but it isn't often discussed or featured by itself. I'd like to learn a little more about it. The name suggests it is Scottish in origin, but is this true?

Reactions: beargreasediet
Jan 8, 2013
Unflavored Black Cavendish (which we normally think of when mentioned) is the unsung hero of many blends. It can cool down an otherwise hot smoking blend, reduces the sharpness of Virginias, mellows strong oriental or english blends, while adding a touch of sweetness, and adding volume to the smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you make your own mixtures, some unflavored black Cavendish is always a nice condiment to bring up the volume of smoke a little, and impart the other virtues mentioned by anthony.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I think there are several different types of cavendish, and I can't tell the difference between them. For some reason, all the blends with cavendish I have smoked, I have found either dull and flavorless (MM 965) or sort of shallow (Mac Baren Club Blend, Rattray's Marlin Flake). Not my favorite leaf.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
A quick web search does not show much about the origins of the process.

The first person by that name who came up when I searched on the name was Henry Cavendish, the 18th Century English chemist who discovered hydrogen. The surname of the Dukes of Devonshire is Cavendish, so the name is English, not Scottish.

I like some blends that feature cavendish (PS Natural Dutch Cavendish), and dislike others (965). :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This thread illustrates 965 won't be missed by everyone. I enjoyed it, but I'm not in mourning.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I would like to know more about Cavendish as well. I know the basics but I’d like to know more about the varieties. It’s my understanding that the Cavendish in 965 is not like our typical American black Cavendish and is considered a brown Cavendish. I think you can essentially make Cavendish from any leaf, be it, VA or Burley but I would love to get Russ O. on here to talk more about it. I am another one that is not too fond of 965, it’s just kind of middle of the road to me, (a nice way of saying it’s boring). I think there are so many better Scottish/English blends on the market. I’m sure when Murray’s or Dunhill actually made it, it was pretty awesome though but the latest version of it was pretty ‘meh’.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I agree that the STG 965 was nothing to write home about. Conversely, the Murray’s 965 was sublime. I have probably consumed more of that than any other blend over the years. The current Sutliff Match (now Match 20) is as close as you will come nowadays. As jimjinks has mentioned in other threads and his review, is that Sutliff is/was attempting to match Murray’s rather than the STG. The cavendish is the balancing act in this mixture.

fusion

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2019
As the OP said is a process,the leaf is cured using steam at 212F then the "Cavendish Cut" its stacked and pressed into a block, cut into plug, and sliced.

As to the origins of the name i dont know but i know someone who will know, ill be back lol

fusion

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2019
My man came thru already

English Cavendish uses a dark flue or fire cured Virginia

Cavendish tobacco originated in the late 16th century, when Sir Thomas Cavendish(English) commanded a ship in Sir Richard Grenville's expedition to Virginia in 1585, and discovered that by dipping tobacco leaves in sugar it produced a milder and more mellow smoke.

A typical mix of ingredients would be around 54 percent tobacco, 22 percent water, 8 percent alcohol (Glycerol/Sorbitol) and the rest sugars.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
hawky454 good point. Everybody talks about cavendish in terms of process, process this, process that, black this, brown that, but nobody talks about the base leaf. Or how would a burley cavendish taste different from a virginia cavendish? Can for say one have a Maryland cavendish (in theory the process can be applied to all tobacco types)? What would be the most common leaf for this process ... and further stuff like this.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I'm guessing that McClelland's Dark Star, Royal Vintage Dark Flake, and the bulk version (Navy Flake I think) would have been considered Cavendish as well?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great posts gents, and thank you. I'll keep reading. I think Cavendish is an under-illucidated tobacco genre. Glad to learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.