PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
Time to show my noobness again.
I read the sticky thread about the general sugar / nicotine inverse correlation. As stated before I smoke primarily aromatics (although I do hate how they gunk up my pipes), and obtained a Hunter’s blend, which I understand to be primarily a Cavendish-based blend.
I further understand Cavendish to not be a parricular type of tobacco, but rather that it refers to the process of making it. The “burnt toffee” taste I got certainly made sense.
I assumed that this will be low in nicotine.
And today, after a bowl and a half, I got that horribly sick feeling that I’ve read about on here that I can only assume must have been a Nic overdose. Nausea and an upset stomach and just a general feeling of being sick. I made sure to get some sugar into my body but honestly, swallowing anything was a bit of chore.
Is it possible that this Cavendish blend can indeed be higher in Nicotine than anything else I’m used to? Or would you rather think it could be some culmination of other factors, like diet etc?
I’m actually a bit put off. Cleaning my pipe afterwards (putting it away for the week), I was nauseated by just the smell of it.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
If you're a new smoker it could be that you are not used to much nicotine. Your previous blends may have been especially low in nicotine. I don't know of any reason why the Cavendish process would make the nicotine more noticeable. Maybe someone else would have an idea.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And it's not necessarily the amount of nic you imbibed.
Very occasionally I'll start to get that first tingle that something is starting to go awry, and if I put my pipe down that second, I am o.k. With experience, you can tell those signs earlier and earlier- and there will be fewer incidents in any event.
Good luck!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
About nicotine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ8-HKUggvc
I prefer aromatics as well, and so far I haven't felt any nicotine effects (hiding my thumbs). This prompted me to open that Nicotine Absorption thread. Not gloating, by the way, but curious about what blend in particular you were smoking.
Mind, I don't have more than one medium bowl (have enough trouble keeping it lit as it is and not burning my tongue in the process), and hardly ever on an empty stomach. Not saying after a full meal, but usually I've eaten something, even if it's something light prior to lighting up. I've gotten more buzz from a cigarette than from a pipe so far (note that I don't ever inhale cigarette smoke: only retrohale it).

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I have found, from sad experiences, to only smoke after eating, to nibble/eat something sweet while smoking, and to drink something when smoking....soda, coffee, tea, spirits, although you might get dizzy from the strong spirits.... Stop smoking if you feel buzzed, queasy, sick. Try smoking where gentle breezes can blow away the smoke from around your face and nose. It all, might help.
Sometimes, most times, I cannot stomach the stench of a freshly smoked pipe. To me, it stinks. Sometimes after a bowl, I delay the cleaning, but I make sure I remove all the dottle and ashes, run a pipe-cleaner dipped in rum extract down the stem, and stick the pipe where I can't smell it. I love to eat citrus fruit, tangerines, oranges, etc. Save a piece of the fresh peel from a tangerine/orange, squeeze out some of the essential oils and rub the briar with your oily-citrusy fingers. Stick that squeezed peel into the smoke hole and leave it in there overnight. When you revisit the pipe it will have a nice clean fragrance and will not smell so stale. The first few puffs from the new charge of tobaccos will have a very subtle citrus flavor, but it quickly disappears. It's a natural treatment, and the citrus peel will un-ghost a haunted pipe, too.
Good luck.
Frank

NYC

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The sticky is merely an observation about tobacco variety charactistics. The sweetness you're getting is primarily from the sugars added during the Cavendish processing, and the nicotine content can vary depending on the leaf used.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
What were you smoking and how long have you been a smoker? Sounds like newbie nicotine syndrome to me. The more you smoke the more your tolerance will increase. If you are not used to nicotine I can see 2 bowls in a row of anything making you feel a little ill.
The only time I really remember this feeling was when I smoked 5 cigarettes in short order as a teenager. I had to lie down for a while as I felt really rather queer.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I do not normally have issues with nicotine as I was a Copenhagen dipper so my tolerance was up. But I have experienced that slightly nauseous feeling a few times and it almost always is because I hadn't eaten and was smoking on an empty stomach. This happened typically in the morning if I decided to smoke a pipe during my commute into work. Depending on what leaf and how strong the leaf is that was used to make Cavendish, it could very in nic content. I would just suggest trying to eat a little something before lighting up a bowl just in case.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
Jazz, I’ve been smoking pipe on and off for about 8 years, and only the last two years more regularly.
I’ve smoked two bowls back to back before (of a lighter blend).
As to what leaf this was made of, I cannot say.
What Correz says makes logical sense, applying sugar to the leaf does nothing to the nicotine. I should have thought of that!

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Jazz, I’ve been smoking pipe on and off for about 8 years, and only the last two years more regularly.
I’ve smoked two bowls back to back before (of a lighter blend).
Interesting, so it's not as if you're new to this. Although, perhaps frequency may have played a part?
As to what leaf this was made of, I cannot say.
I was actually wondering what blend you were smoking. After looking up Hunter blends it seems they are Nording tobaccos. I'm not familiar with any of them so know nothing of their strength.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
To add, there has been much discussion about PH levels and nicotine absorption on this forum over the past few weeks.
Low ph (VA's) in the 4% range means the smoke must be inhaled in order to get nicotine

Higher ph (cigar leaf and burley?) in the 8% range, the nicotine is absorbed through the mucus membrane of your mouth and nasal cavity.
Not sure about the ph's of Kentucky or Cavs.

Status
Not open for further replies.