Cater Hall with a Dash of 1Q and BCA... Wow!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm enjoying a bowl of this homemade OTC blend in a well-worn cob with a glass of oatmeal stout, and it's fantastic! Just thought I'd share. I just tossed this together, probably about 8 parts Carter Hall, 1 part 1Q, and 1 part BCA. That might be a bit of an overestimate on the ratio of Carter to 1Q and BCA, but point is, it's mostly Carter with just a dash of the other stuff.
I mainly smoke english blends, and I definitely enjoy the occasional aromatic, but have felt a bit let down on their general lack of taste. Problem solved! This is exactly what I imagined a pipe to taste like when I was younger and would smell my stepdad's and uncle's pipes smoking Captain Black / 1Q / whatever other aro that smells great and tastes like hot air. I'll definitely be smoking more of this :puffpipe:

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
You're placing the exact words on something I have been feeling for a long time. I've myself also started to mix some English with a dash of aromatics and it really does a great job satisfying me :)
I've tried this blend: Balkan Sasieni 90% - Peterson Special Reserve 2014 10%
It's really nice too.
Share more recipes.

Mar 1, 2014
Don't forget to try just mixing some blending Perique with Carter Hall. It's a good halfway blend between an OTC and a VaPer.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
My most recent practice has been to test out various Aromatic Cavendish blends and mix them at least 50/50 with C&D Cube Cut, which is a mainstay for me. The Cube Cut gives it depth, flavor and strength, and the Cavendish adds a little bit of sweetness and flavor variety.
Most recent was 50% Cube Cut and 50% Capt. Black Dark. It definitely doesn't offend anyone around you and it's a really nice, strong smoke still. I have come to find I can handle almost any Aro if I cut it with Cube Cut.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Sounds like some good idea in this thread. I will have to get some unblended tobaccos and start trying out some more home blends to customize to my taste. I'm ready to head home from work and pack up a big bowl and a pour of bourbon. Just another hour or so to go.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
By itself BCA is scented air, but as a mixer it's a salvation. It has rescued many blends for me. I've added it to GLP Virginia Cream, where it cooled and stopped tongue-bite. I've added it to Royal Yacht when my palate tired of its peculiar topping. I've added it to straight VA flake to give the one-note flavor some dimension. I've added it to Nightcap when I wanted to smoke it around others.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Lawdawg, you and others here are making my point I've been talking about on another thread--- whatever disappears or remains of pipe tobaccos, there are endless great possibilities out there with cheap and readily available stuff that we shall never discover all the combinations of, which is why I continue to experiment and not worry too deeply about how these new regulations turn out. There will always be good choices to smoke and I am not about to go out in a panic and mortgage my house to buy a truck full of tobacco filling half of my cellar!

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I've also used CH, which I like pretty well on its own, as a mix with aromatics and agree that it can be quite good. I sometime mix some Autumn Evening with CH and find it quite enjoyable.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
This is a little scary, it sounds like you guys are tampering with the very building blocks of nature.
I think we should just smoke what they give us. Those big companies know whats best. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.