Castello Sea Rock Paneled Is In...AMAZING!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
So i received the Castello Sea Rock Paneled i bought off of Ebay yesterday. Upon opening the box and examining the pipe, it was EXACTLY like the seller described it and everything was perfect. It really could not have been smoked more than 8 or 10 times, as the pics i took last night that i am attaching speak for themselves. I think i really lucked out for getting this pipe for the price i did and love the way the pipe looks and feels in my hand.
I packed up the bowl for the lead off smoke with Royal Yacht after giving it a quick and thorough cleaning. It already looked pristine but i ran a couple pipe cleaners through it to make sure. I could smell the cleaner solution in the bowl, stem and shank. I lit up the first bowl and was blown away at the effortless and open draw it provided. One of the first things i noticed was the sweet smell the briar gave off as i smoked. The sweet taste people talk about with Castellos was there as well and it was truly a delightful experience. I enjoyed the first bowl all the way down to the heel and after letting it cool off, packed it up one more time with some Hyde Park, as i was in the mood for something fragrant and sweet, with a little punch. Second bowl offered more of the same, and in short was pure smoking bliss. The pipe also smoked cool all the way through both bowls, further impressing me.
This pipe is everything i expected and heard from others with Castello smoking experience and more. I love it and look forward to many many more future great smokes from it. If you have never had the pleasure of smoking a Castello, do yourself a favor and pony up the dough and get yourself one. You will not regret it!
20140409_232128-600x450.jpg

20140409_232112-600x450.jpg

20140409_232052-600x450.jpg

20140409_232037-600x450.jpg

20140409_232018-600x450.jpg

20140409_231957-600x450.jpg

20140409_231926-600x450.jpg

20140409_231912-600x450.jpg

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Oh these have been a fancy of mine for a while, I might just have to pony up. That pipe looks beautiful, glad to hear it smokes as good as it looks. What more can a man ask for?

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Oh I don't know, a tall cold pint of a local brewery's (Smartmouth Brewery) coffee infused porter that i enjoyed along with it? Lol, thanks for the comment, anglesey, it is definitely worth the chunk of change. Pick one up sooner than later and let me know if you have a similar experience!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
layin, glad to hear you love your Castello. As you experienced, the pipe practically smokes it self due to the open draw. I am sure it smoked dry as a bone as well. I think you are going to be very spoiled and predict this will not be your last Castello.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
cigrmaster and misterlowercase, thanks for the kind words. Cigrmaster, i think you might be on to something when you say it will not be my only Castello, lol! Do you notice the sweet and distinct smell of the briar when smoking a bowl, as well as the sweet flavor it imparts that mixes with the tobacco? Gosh, it is something else and very unique. I mean, i have 20 pipes and have never had an experience quite like this with a pipe. It sounds like i could be suffering from a placebo effect, especially with the reputation and raving of so many others regarding Castello's, but i swear i was trying to maintain a sense of neutrality by judging the pipe with an unbiased pallete. There really is something different about this pipe and how it smokes. We'll see if future smokes out of it prove to be a recurring theme of excellent experiences.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think a good Castello gives blends a certain "sharpness" or focus in the flavor range. It must be the briar!

That is very handsome!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Ok. Now you've done it. I am offically putting a Castello pipe on my want list, after hearing you and Cigarmaster from previous posts talk about them. It's your fault. If you get a post from my wife, just remember you've been forewarned

May 31, 2012
Cigrmaster, i think you might be on to something when you say it will not be my only Castello, lol! Do you notice the sweet and distinct smell of the briar when smoking a bowl, as well as the sweet flavor it imparts that mixes with the tobacco? Gosh, it is something else and very unique. I mean, i have 20 pipes and have never had an experience quite like this with a pipe. It sounds like i could be suffering from a placebo effect, especially with the reputation and raving of so many others regarding Castello's, but i swear i was trying to maintain a sense of neutrality by judging the pipe with an unbiased pallete. There really is something different about this pipe and how it smokes. We'll see if future smokes out of it prove to be a recurring theme of excellent experiences.
What Al said too...
...the sweetness of Castello briar has been commented upon by too many knowledgeable people to not be true - it is true, and you're discovering that - and it is great to discover such wonder!
But, as fishingandpipes said in the thread when you first scored this pipe:

You, sir, are screwed.
Allow me to explain.
I remember hoarding every last shekel I had to save for my first Castello. And finally, I did it. And, it was great. And then my other pipes... were not so great in comparison. And I was reminded, every time I smoked them, that I could be smoking the Castello instead.
Now I have eleven and $200 for that piece sounds like a pretty damn good deal.
As I said. Screwed.
LOL
He's probably right.
I remember reading Cigrmaster talking about how he sold all his high grade Euro stuff, his British stuff, and some of his Italian stuff, because after smoking American artisan pipes, especially Rad Davis, that he was simply spoiled and all of his old pipes he picked up couldn't hold a candle, in particular talking about stem quality and how dry they smoke...
...well, now I'm in the same boat, I've been spoiled by fine American artisan pipes - I never really thought I could afford them, but really it's easy, I quit buying crummy old eBay estates for the most part, and I won't buy new brand-name pipes either --- like I've read Briarlues Mike say, it's better to have one excellent artisan pipe than 10 nice factory pipes and I agree, and I have resituated my goals and focus to enjoy these things...
...not that I'm knocking factory pipes, I'm a Stanwell fan, always will be, but I don't buy them anymore.
For all intents and purposes, Castello ain't really a "factory pipe" either, they're very finely crafted with some of the best briar on the planet, they have an incredible briar supply, and they are handmade - I really love alot of their shapes, they definitely have innovated with a good many shapes.
I read elsewhere you bought a pipe from Europe, so you're not afraid to go that route, and I'm not trying to be a PAD enabler, but I do know alotta the hardcore Castello guys get pipes straight from Italy...
...here's a few good links, sometimes you can find some incredible deals, and you'll usually also see stuff that's not available in the N.A. market...
---site sponsor Novelli is always a good place to start!

https://novelli.it/eng/pipes/testdiv3.asp?produttore=ESTATE%20PIPES&modello=Castello&opdb=1
http://www.bollitopipe.it/pipe-castello-c-10_33.html
http://www.tabaccheriadelcorsorimini.it/catalogo/rodato-castello
http://www.sansone-pipe-sigari.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=62&Itemid=309&lang=it
http://www.floppypipe.it/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69_94

:

:

:

Remember to give us updates on this pipe and your further analysis of its smoking qualities, I'll be looking out for it!
:puffpipe:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Misterlowercase, thanks for the great post and all the useful info, a lot of good (and funny) points as well. I like stairwells also and own two, but you are correct with what you said IMHO regarding the artisan part. Though I am not experienced enough to comment on american artisans, I know firsthand the Italian ones make a hell of a good pipe. I can't wait to own more pipes by good ol' got damn 'mericans.
Smoked two more bowls out of the castello today, some more yacht and some ready rubbed JKP to switch it up a bit. Can't say it was much different than the first time. Same wonderful characteristics, no complaints here.
Thanks Dawg and Cortez...and Cortez, GET YOU ONE!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
This paneled Sea Rock kills.
I hope it becomes a favorite and that you're "cursed" with many more.
This comment was one of the best laughs I've ever had on this forum:
"But, as fishingandpipes said in the thread when you first scored this pipe:
You, sir, are screwed.
Allow me to explain.
I remember hoarding every last shekel I had to save for my first Castello. And finally, I did it. And, it was great. And then my other pipes... were not so great in comparison. And I was reminded, every time I smoked them, that I could be smoking the Castello instead.
Now I have eleven and $200 for that piece sounds like a pretty damn good deal.
As I said. Screwed."
What an excellent turn of the phrase.
Fnord

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Glad you like your Castello! I have a Sea Rock #17 (KK) that is definitely my favorite pipe as well. The draw is definitely much more open than any other pipe I own...and I like it. The paneling and rustication on yours are very distinct! I don't know if I've seen another Sea Rock with smooth panels and such regular, fine rustication (especially on the shank). It may just be the pics but mine is much more craggy looking. Very cool and unique to see the way different carvers do the "Sea Rock" rustication.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
fnord, i agree that post had me rolling and i didn't know where he was going with it when he started out with, "You, sir, are screwed." I don't know though because the two Radice's i just acquired smoke pretty damn good themselves, especially the unsmoked twin bore poker which i will post pics and review of shortly. I don't think it tops the Castello though, good lord that thing smokes like a freight train! And honestly, I think my Tinsky Canadian is probably the only thing that comes close, as that thing smokes AMAZING as well. It doesn't impart the type of unique flavor that the Castello does and also isn't as open of a draw. Close, but no cigar.
Broth, i agree with you and i've done a ton of looking around online and haven't seen one quite like it. The rustication on this pipe definitely intrigued me as it was MUCH finer grained and less deep than all the other sea rocks i had seen. It reminds me of a lizards skin, sort of beady and close together, if that makes any sense. It is not just the pics, you are correct in that it is a very fine rustication, especially for a larger kkkk sea rock. I'm glad you enjoy the hell outta yours as well, though. Happy puffing!

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I'm usually not as attracted to panels as rounded pipes but this is one exceptional pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.