Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » Italian Pipes

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Castello Pipe Shapes

(81 posts)
  1. bwhiteside

bwhiteside

Login to Send PM

A question for Castello pipe collectors and buyers:

For those of you who concentrate your buying to one brand of pipe, do you usually stick with a favorite shape, with just a difference in finish? My dilemma is that I have found a Castello dealer overseas that has a huge assortment of individual pipes in my favorite shape #55 (bent pot). Amazingly, they carry this shape in many different finishes: Sea Rock, Collection, Castello, Trademark, Natural Vergin, and Aristocratica. Their selection is mind boggling, carrying not just the shape 55, but so many others!

But getting back to my question, do you suggest sticking with the tried and true shape 55 I’m most familiar with, or branching out and trying another Castello shape?

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I assume you mean Tabaccheria Corti, who do indeed have a vast trove of 55s right now.

The 55 is a fun shape. The 65 is a great pipe, capital G maybe, the thing is, I just bought the better of the two they have listed, so.... yeah, just buy another 55 I guess.

I also have a kkkk lovat from Castello which is an extraordinary smoker, and a tiny little kk billiard which is just super comfy and fun to smoke.

I think some of the shapes (like the #10 chubby billiard) need a specific smoking style (non clenching), but honestly most Castellos look built to smoke to me.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

but honestly most Castellos look built to smoke to me.

Samsquanch.........couldn't agree more. I'd smoke out of any Castello.........now, to become a millionaire so I can buy one.......

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Alaskan, they are... roughly... 1/2 price if you buy out of Italy. I paid 213 Euroes for the 65 I ordered (drunk on Friday night, God help me). So I mean, that's shipped to my house for like, 250 bucks. I get that it is not a trivial amount of money, but it's not astronomical and certainly not for a good quality pipe.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I know. I'll get there eventually. It will just take a while. There are so many good makers out there that charge a premium. Castello is high on the list for sure, but I just bought an Ashton so I'm trying to rein in the PAD, at least for the moment.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

I have 55s and a few other shapes from Castello. I would go for whatever pleases your eye the most, since in my experience it's guaranteed to be a great smoker, regardless of shape.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a Castello owner, but I really like the smaller pipes they make. Many sold in the U.S. are large to XXL, and I have the big bowl pipes I need already. But dealers overseas seem to carry a full range of sizes, as described in the posts above. A small one would be "comfy" indeed. Bigger pipes are usually priced higher, so the retailers gravitate toward those, understandably. More profit per unit, as it were.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Short answer, "it depends."

I only collect Castello pipes in my Italian collection. I long ago chose to go deep with one brand only. That is the first hurdle to collecting, deciding the ground rules. But then you need to decide whether to collect deep vs wide in that one brand. For example 1)Just Castello, any shapes, vs 2)Just Castello, just shape "x" (e.g. shape 55).

Well, in the old days, the Chicago show was predominantly for collectors and less vendors. Guys would show off their collections and were often damn proud of them. In the Castello circles, you had to have a complete set to really show it off. The definition of a complete set included, 1)all one shape, 2)every finish, 3)every grade. That included everything from trademark to fiammata, and sea rock to Pi rustication, as well as old antiquiri in all colors. It is stupendously difficult to complete a set.

With that in mind, I finally finished a complete set of Castello Opera 44 recently. The Fiammata was the holy grail, the white whale. It took me forever to get this done. It is the largest set of 44s that any collector is aware of. I will show it next year at the Chicago show. I'm very proud of it. So, if that kind of collecting interests you, then I would encourage you to chase just 55s. You don't have to have a completed set based on the above criteria, but striving toward that goal is good to keep in mind.

And here's a tip. Castello guys often say correctly that it is possible to complete a shape set, but that set will never be finished! It's an important concept, because even though you have finished the standard shapes, finishes, colors, Castello will break your heart and release rare variants of the shape. Like a red stem, or Pi rustication, or a diamond in the stem, or something to make you go bonkers wanting that one rare pipe. You will never be finished ...

Neal
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, you cannot get away with talking about your incredible Castello collection without pics man. We need Neal type pics for this event.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, you cannot get away with talking about your incredible Castello collection without pics man. We need Neal type pics for this event.

I'm working on it. I'll post the complete set soon.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, looking forward to them.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@alaskanpiper, the first estate pipe in my collection was a Castello GG 75 SEA ROCK for right around $150.00 from PipeStud and it is truly in my top three smokers. Completely obtainable.

j/B

"I am a firm believer in the idea that who we are today is strongly influenced by the sum total of all of the individuals whom we have had the privilege of knowing."
    -huntertrw
    Posted 1 month ago #
  13. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Completely obtainable

Yeah, I've been lazily watching the estates on SP and elsewhere. Just waiting for the right shape for me to show up. And honestly still experimenting with various shapes in general, narrowing down what shapes I really like with more affordable options, savs, petes, etc, at which point I'll invest in some higher end smokers in said shapes.

Straight Billiards/Dublins were the first shape that spoke to me, so I do own one Ashton pebble grain dublin so far. I think my next high end purchase might be some kind of fat but shallow bowled prince/appley type thing. Castello has an estate tomato on SP that would be the one, as well as a fiammata pot that would work, but those particular ones are just a little rich for me at the moment.

I'll find the one for me, just waiting for it to roll along.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any discussion of Castello shapes always brings to my mind their occasional "WTF?" specimen. Poorly conceived/shaped AND poorly executed.

The full bent, hawkbill, and Oom Paul(ish) shapes are usually the afflicted ones.

Though it is only speculation, I think the most likely cause is that Castello isn't a single maker, but a large shop/small factory with a staff that by definition varies in skill and experience. And everyone, as the saying goes, has to start somewhere.

If true, the question then is why the QA side allows de facto beginner's pieces out the door.

We'll probably never know, and because people rarely buy a pipe sight unseen, it isn't exactly a problem... but it certainly is at odds with the luxury price point that is Castello's market (as well as simple human pride).

In fact, I know a nine-foot-tall shaggy monster Canadian pipemaker who LOVES Castellos and is totally fine with humans teasing him about everydamnthing, but would never ever put his name on something like this, and he charges half as much:

(posted by someone else in a different thread just last week)

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

alaska, if you stick to Castello Sea Rocks, you will see better prices and they all smoke the same, no reason to chase grain. You might want to look at briarblues.com and pipes2smoke.com for nice quality estate pipes.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

@cigrmaster thanks I'll check them out!

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

alaska, my pleasure. If you see something you like and are not sure, post on this thread and we can give you some opinions.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. bazungu

bazungu

Login to Send PM

Is it just me, or has the shape '55' recently been shaped? It seems to be made more squarish, less rounded and less elegant in the bowl/shank area with shorter shanks and stems(+ big noticeable gaps between stem and shank). I do not seem to like this new design of the 55 shape, perhaps it is as George mentions: some new unexperienced pipe makers have started at the factory, replacing the old garde.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, in the old days, the Chicago show was predominantly for collectors and less vendors. Guys would show off their collections and were often damn proud of them. In the Castello circles, you had to have a complete set to really show it off. The definition of a complete set included, 1)all one shape, 2)every finish, 3)every grade. That included everything from trademark to fiammata, and sea rock to Pi rustication, as well as old antiquiri in all colors. It is stupendously difficult to complete a set.

I love brand/shape collecting! My humble collection was inspired by the Nut Brothers combined shape 84 collections that I saw displayed many times. I am also lucky that I've added many pipes from "Mr. Castello" Chuck Rio's award winning and other outstanding collections over the years. I probably have the closest thing to complete 15, 215, 30 and 34 collections that I know of but I don't think any of them will ever be truly complete.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And here's a tip. Castello guys often say correctly that it is possible to complete a shape set, but that set will never be finished! It's an important concept, because even though you have finished the standard shapes, finishes, colors, Castello will break your heart and release rare variants of the shape. Like a red stem, or Pi rustication, or a diamond in the stem, or something to make you go bonkers wanting that one rare pipe. You will never be finished ...

This is exactly why I quit “collecting” Castello 75’s almost 20 years ago. I mean it, too. I now have 7 GG size 65’s in different finishes but I am not collecting them. Nope. Never again.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]Is it just me, or has the shape '55' recently been shaped? It seems to be made more squarish, less rounded and less elegant in the bowl/shank area with shorter shanks and stems(+ big noticeable gaps between stem and shank). I do not seem to like this new design of the 55 shape, perhaps it is as George mentions: some new unexperienced pipe makers have started at the factory, replacing the old garde.[quote]

To me, very few I see now have much in the way of “chin”. Still a nice shape. Lanzolo has some on their page now, with and without chin, so you can see what I mean.

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Starts and ends with 55 and 65 for me. Some stinkers definitely do surface on occasion. A fairly well known shop near Albany had some very poorly drilled pipes on my last visit.

Al

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

This is a very inspiring (and potentially very expensive) discussion. I have just been collecting Castellos I found beautiful or interesting, but I can feel my inner completist waking up with all this shape and finish talk

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All of my few Castellos perform simply wonderfully, can't say anything bad of this brand.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  25. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Like Neal my main focus is Castello's. Due to Neal, I acquired my first shape 44 ( oval bowl ) and now will add the shape into my searches for more. The shape 55 is the dominant shape for my Castello's with currently 6 housed here.

The one very dangerous thing about collecting Castello pipes is ... that once you think you've got a "complete" set they throw you a curve and come up with something, in your shape, that you must have! Last time I spoke with Greg Pease about his shape 55 collection, I think he was at 22 pipes and all different.

When I was in Cantu I saw at least 3 more interesting variants that Greg would surely want to add.

oldgeezer - Castello shapes are always "evolving". It is ( IMHO ) one of joys of collecting the brand.

Neal - be warned ...... a shape 44 is headed my way ...... It just might be a must add to your collection.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. tfdickson

tfdickson

Login to Send PM

For me the answer was and is branch out. I like Castello’s bent bulldogs but you can’t even really call it a concentration in my collection. I could never stick to one shape although I admire the tenacity and dedication required in putting together anything close to a complete set in one shape. Mine range from the early 1990s to a few years ago.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

@tfdickson; That is one beautiful collection! I love the briar inlay in some of these. From the 90's?

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. tfdickson

tfdickson

Login to Send PM

Thanks @jfred! The top right billiard in the first pic is from 1991, the second from the bottom on the left is undated but most likely 1990's. The bottom left is 2002. In the second pic the one in the lower right is undated but almost definitely 1990's as I bought it unsmoked around 2003.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tfdickson, great pic and even better collection.

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. tfdickson

tfdickson

Login to Send PM

Thanks @cigrmaster!

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. pipingfool

pipingfool

Login to Send PM

Does anyone have a size KK Shape 55? I have a KKKK 55, which I love, but is a bit bulky as a driving pipe (that's when I do most of my pipe smoking). The dimensions for a KK seem really small (around 115mm long), and I think I would like something a little bit bigger. But I know dimensions can be deceiving. Thanks!

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@tfdickson

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Well, those following this thread or familiar with me know I've been looking for a Castello for a while as I slowly invest in more high end pipes in the shapes I really like. I have been finding myself enjoying squat little shapes lately so I finally decided to sac up and just buy the Castello that I actually really wanted. I had been balking at the price and looking for cheaper estates, sea rocks, etc. but in looking all over the place no Castello spoke to me like this one did. It's an odd shape, sort of a tomato, but I really like the bowl dimensions and thick chamber walls. I kept looking all over and ending up just coming back to stare at this one. So here she is...

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Here's a single K Collection Ochio Di Pernice 55, weighs 35 grams.

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Sweet looking little 55. 35 grams? How long is it?

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

It is fairly petite. It was unsmoked when I bought it (from Rob Cooper via Ebay), broken in now!

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Wow, yeah, very small. Sweet looking pipe though. Love the grain.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]

oldgeezer - Castello shapes are always "evolving". It is ( IMHO ) one of joys of collecting the brand[quote]

Did you get to go to the Lake Como Yacht Club, see Coppos boat and visit my money this trip, Mike?

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. pipingfool

pipingfool

Login to Send PM

@ssjones - That is a really nice little pipe. I think I might pull the trigger on one of the 55 KKs that I've been eyeing. Would love to have a 55 that would work as a driving pipe. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really dislike the shape of the 55. I don't know why but it just seems off to my eye. Having said that I keep thinking that it must smoke like a machine as everyone who has one seems to love it. I have been thinking about buying one just because. I generally don't buy pipes I dislike the looks of, but I feel like I am missing something special.

To all the 55 lovers, should I go for it? I will only smoke flakes or a plug in it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Harris

Well that depends. Do you want to re arrange your collection and only collect the shape 55? Do you want to make all your other pipes feel unwanted as you always reach for the shape 55? Your call.

I smoke my shape 55's more than any other pipe shape in my collection. I smoke Virginia's and Virginia flakes. My shape 55's are smoking machines! Out of 17 Castello's, 6 are shape 55's.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, that is what I am afraid of. I am too old to re work my collection. Maybe if I love it, I could stop at say 3 of them as I could smoke a 55 once a day. I am assuming that a Sea Rock will smoke as good as an Occhio?

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Harris

That being the case, I strongly suggest you do NOT get a shape 55. BUT in the event you do ... welcome to the dark side.

All Castello pipes come from the same briar stock! All aged a minimum of 10 years. What makes a Sea Rock different than a Fiammata? Simply put .... grain! Lack of sand spots. Flame grains with very few "flaws" will be graded higher. Sea Rocks require rustication to remove sand spots. They will smoke very similarly.

This ALL goes out the window with the shape 55 though. For whatever reason, this shape just smokes amazingly well, through all grades. If you really want to try one, look for a pre smoked Sea Rock. If you would prefer un smoked, my suggestion is to look at the Trade Mark series. I very often will see some excellent cross grains, that due to the lay out of the cross section do not meet the Collection Occhio Di Pernice grade.

You have been warned.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, I completely understand your point. I also have never favored the overt look of the 55s. But somehow I ended up with a few in my collection because they are smoking machines. I don't think you could go wrong with a simple sea rock 55, but I would look for a smaller one, like kk size.

BTW, throw some cube cut Salty Dogs or PH Curly Block in a 55 and sit back and hold on tight for a nirvana two hour smoke.

But, keep in mind, 55s don't clench well imho. They are more of a hand held pipe.

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is this not the "Jay Leno" pipe? Glad they smoke great, and maybe in person they'd be more appealing to me.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  46. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, I have been smoking my lone Castello( Occhio Dublin) more in the last couple of months than I had for a number of years. I keep asking myself is the plastic stem really a deal breaker for buying any more Castello's. I have been pining for them once again but haven't acted.

jp, the Jay Leno pipe, I totally can see that. It does have a big time chin which is why it looks so weird to me.

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, I have been smoking my lone Castello( Occhio Dublin) more in the last couple of months than I had for a number of years. I keep asking myself is the plastic stem really a deal breaker for buying any more Castello's. I have been pining for them once again but haven't acted.

jp, the Jay Leno pipe, I totally can see that. It does have a big time chin which is why it looks so weird to me.

Harris, most 55’s you see new today are relatively lacking in the chin department. I have 2, both are great smokers, but so are the other Castello shapes I own now. Flakes, mixtures, whatever. The only ones I shy away from now are 74’s and 97’s based on previous negative smoking experiences. And others like those, so it must be me. That one shape is more a smoking machine than another just shows the herd mentality at work, IMO. I have heard the same meme about 10’s, 11’s, 84’s, and 65’s to name just 4 over the last 30+ years. I own 10 65’s right now and would buy another right this minute if I liked it, but that is because they suit me for a leisurely evening smoke when I have a few hours to read and relax. The Trademark SS 17 I smoked this morning was just as good a smoke as any of them.

I made my piece with Lucite bits decades ago, as a general rule, but Castellos recent production bits are thicker than I prefer and while I do buy new ones, my primary interest now is finding really nice older ones. Which is a challenge.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I made my piece with Lucite bits decades ago, as a general rule, but Castellos recent production bits are thicker than I prefer and while I do buy new ones, my primary interest now is finding really nice older ones. Which is a challenge.

Oldgeezer and I are usually on the same page, so my experience is largely the same her on newer bits. My new KK 65 from Tabaccheria Corti Lecco a pleasant exception.

Posted 1 month ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oldgeezer and I are usually on the same page, so my experience is largely the same her on newer bits. My new KK 65 from Tabaccheria Corti Lecco a pleasant exception.

My smaller “Kino” pipes tend towards being OK in the bit department. I should have made that distinction. I have a k billiard Sea Rock that measures right at the size of a current production Dunhill 1103 (Group 1) that I measured against at the time that Al Pascia had listed. It has as comfortable a Lucite bit as I have ever owned. Tiny little thing, Rich Esserman called it a tamper, but damn it smokes great.

Is that 65 the pipe I tipped you on a year or so ago, Al? Memories fade, I can’t recall if it was a 65 or 55.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  50. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

oldgeezer, thanks for your take on Castello, sounds like you might be sporting just a few.
    I am not that concerned with the looks of a 55 just how it smokes and you have answered that issue. Now all there is left to do is find one that fits my size and weight criteria.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

oldgeezer, thanks for your take on Castello, sounds like you might be sporting just a few.
    I am not that concerned with the looks of a 55 just how it smokes and you have answered that issue. Now all there is left to do is find one that fits my size and weight criteria.

Thanks for the kind words. Just from a smoking point of view your focus on the weight and size are absolutely what you should be most concerned with. But as I heard too many years ago to bear thinking about, “You also smoke with your eyes.” And the current production “chinless” examples most commonly seen today are very attractive pipes indeed. One of mine only has the slightest hint of a chin, and it is a pioe my executor will have to deal with.

Please feel free to ignore an old mans ramblings, but.... Starting sometime in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s, Castello design innovations really took off, firmly establishing what we now call the “neoclassical” look. Earlier shapes were more faithful emulations of Dunhill, Sasieni and Barling. This was also the period in which Italian design in many things such as clothing, shoes, cars, furniture etc., was taking off in worldwide acceptance. This was important to Italy’s economy, and the Italian government honored its best designers with an award that I have been told is the equivalent of being knighted in England. Carlo Scotti was one of those recipients. I used to have a small brochure that was entirely devoted to the 55. It featured line drawings of a man smoking his 55 in what was kind of a composite of what a 1960’s Italian Convertible sports car would look like. Of course, all of the 55’s featured in that brochure had the Leno chin. As did the ones I first saw in the early 1980’s. They screamed “Italian design” and the 1960’s and 1970’s were my formative years, so....

Forgive my sentimentality, but age does have its privileges. I want the damn chin!

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  52. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

oldgeezer, thanks for the history lesson, I find that kind of stuff really interesting. I got into pipes in 1997 and Castellos were the first Italian pipes I began collecting.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  53. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Is that 65 the pipe I tipped you on a year or so ago, Al? Memories fade, I can’t recall if it was a 65 or 55.

It sure is, tiny little KK, little more than tamper, but it goes with me on every trip and is a magnificent smoker.

Here's one that has so far eluded me, a Shape 83 Bullmoose. I've never seen one in the wild. A brown KK, or KKK Sea Rock would be wonderful to find.
    https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=50254

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  54. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To my eye the older 55's were more of a small bent pot without the exaggerated chin. It's not not my shape but the lines on the newer 55's with the big chin just don't look right to me. I collect Castello paper and would dearly love to see your brochure!

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, i think you meant to say an 85, which is the # SP assigned to it. And which I think is right. Not easy to find, but I have seen them from time to time on the various Italian web pages. I bet the guy at Corti could whistle one up for you. That is a nice one, by the way. Send him those pictures with the dimensions and weight.

The virtues of smaller Castellos are deeply under appreciated, at least in the US.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To my eye the older 55's were more of a small bent pot without the exaggerated chin. It's not not my shape but the lines on the newer 55's with the big chin just don't look right to me. I collect Castello paper and would dearly love to see your brochure!

We should have known each other before 2001. Changes in health and everything else that followed weren’t kind to the physical collections I had. The brochure in question was actually produced under the name of either Novelli or Noli. It was a foldout that could have fit in a pipe box when folded. It featured a quote by Scotti “I don’t run a factory, I have an artisan workshop” , more or less,in Italian, then the various illustrations of the rakish 55’s. If it came from Novelli, perhaps Marco would know of it. The only such thing I ever saw devoted to one shape.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

lasabbia

Login to Send PM

Great thread. I collect primarily Castellos. I haven’t concentrated on any one shape, but rather have mostly favorite shapes (e.g., 55s, pokers, Oom Pauls) in equal number in favorite finishes (“Castello”, Sea Rock, Natural Vergin, and Old Antiquari).

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, darn you. That pipe you pictured, the bull moose which I believe is an 85 and not an 83, really got on my mind. So after sleeping on it, I sent a picture to an Italian friend, now based in another country, who, like me, has seen a few but never owned one. Well, after exchanging texts back and forth, we decided to send a picture to his friend (they have vacationed together with their wives) who owns a shop in Italy. We have different preferences as to size, finish and “deal breaker” musts, but suffice it to say that we hope to have one each by this fall when my friend is in Italy again.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  59. laniromee

laniromee

Login to Send PM

I don't know. Castellos are always on my mind when the time to get a new pipe arrives as I really like a lot of things about their pipes, like the finish on those light stained searocks with black rims, the logo on the stem, and of course the quality of craftsmanship that Castello owners are always raving about. But I really dislike the shapes. I guess the italian school with its sharp angles are not for me. Is there any Castello shape that falls more in line with the english/french tradition?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  60. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Laniromee, I do agree, nonetheless I'd recommend you to take a look at their Lovat&Canadian shape range

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  61. laniromee

laniromee

Login to Send PM

@Paul, I browsed some pictures of Castello lovats. Although they are pretty clearly italian designed pipes with dramatic tapers and such-nots, they do look good - particularly the shorter shanked ones. Thank you for your input, I'll keep an eye on those.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  62. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@laniromee, Your welcome, perhaps You may find something which may please more to Your eye by browsing PipeShop Lanzola.It webshop.And Yes, They do ship abroad.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@laniromee, Your welcome, perhaps You may find something which may please more to Your eye by browsing PipeShop Lanzola.It webshop.And Yes, They do ship abroad.

Highly recommend Lanzola. And I find lots of Castellos that don’t have the old sharp angle neoclassical look. Not a good thing, IMO, but BriarBlues says shapes “evolve”. Oh, I highly recommend BriarBlues, too. You are buying from one of the most knowledgeable Castello fans out there, he stands behind what he sells you, and he is very selective in the Castellos he stocks, new or estate.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  64. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, I highly recommend BriarBlues, too. You are buying from one of the most knowledgeable Castello fans out there, he stands behind what he sells you, and he is very selective in the Castellos he stocks, new or estate.

+1

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  65. laniromee

laniromee

Login to Send PM

@Paul and @oldgeezersmoker, those are really great tips. Thanks to you I think I found some Castello shapes that I can't live without. Great stuff!

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  66. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Laniromee,This is nice to hear, candidly saying my Castellanos are perhaps the very best smokers amongst all my pipes,and then there is this my very Dunhill ring grain,but that aside,as You said,me too,I'd like to see more Castellos shapes in accordance with the English/French tradition,

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  67. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

All pipe brands / carvers evolve. Both with their styles and finish. The earliest Stanwell's were aimed towards classic British and French shapes. The same holds true for Castello. The first Castllo pipes were very close to "traditional" British shapes. If that is what you prefer, then these are the ones to search for.

If you look at some of the top world class carvers, in most cases, you can see where they drew shape inspiration from. They do not "copy" an exact replica, but do take a shape made by another carver and add their own tweaks and twists.

Pipe carvers are "artists" and proud of their wares. I have never met a single carver that wants to be known as the one that can copy someone else. They all want their pipes to stand out from the crowd. They all want someone to be able to look at a pipe and without looking at the nomenclature, have the viewer known right away, who carved the pipe.

So, IF you're after classic British or French shapes, then that is what you should be looking for, maybe not the brands or carvers that add their own style and flavors to shapes. If you are after an incredible smoking pipe with each having their own special nonchalant "sprezzatura" then I highly recommend Castello.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  68. laniromee

laniromee

Login to Send PM

Michael, thank you for your input, I have found it very helpful and agree with you.

I don't think of myself as a stickler for classic shapes as I am very passionate about the danish and the american schools - which make up the majority of my collection. So I very much appreciate tweaks and adjustments to the classic designs to a degree that makes a pipe maker or brand easily recognizable.

It just so happens that I perceive the particular style chosen by Castello as a tad too dramatic for my taste, for the most part. And I agree with you that a Castello pipe that looked like a shape picked out of a Dunhill catalogue would be uncharacteristic. However, I wasn't really looking for a compromise to Castello's style, but for a tip of where to find something that speaks to me within its range.

Look at it this way: Todd Johnson, influenced by the Japanese school, has a penchant for some outrageous shapes. Double chambered pipes, incubi, ostriches... That doesn't mean that he can't make a perfectly good looking billiard that fully incorporates elements of his style in a way that you can recognize it as a Todd Johnson pipe. That's kinda what I was looking for in a Castello - and I think I have found some.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  69. pipingfool

pipingfool

Login to Send PM

I have a new Trademark KK Shape 55 and a new Trademark KKKK Shape 215 headed this way from Luca @ Tabaccheria Corti. I should have them in hand tomorrow. Pretty excited as these will be my first smooth Castellos and they both look like they have some excellent grain. The Shape 215 is loaded with birdseye and could almost be an Occhio di Pernice. The Shape 55 will be my smallest Castello and should be a great travel/driving pipe.

If I can figure out how, I'll post pics when I have them in hand.

Posted 1 week ago #
  70. pipingfool

pipingfool

Login to Send PM

Here are the pipes that I received yesterday. They look amazing and the Shape 55 KK is only about 4.5" long.
    Great travel pipe! The birdseye on the left side of the 215 is amazing in person.

Posted 1 week ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   marc75, ashdigger, alsatmem, alaskanpiper, nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, danimalia, upnorth1, cshubhra