PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I'm new to the forums and recently started smoking a pipe again after quitting coffin nails for good. I'm enjoying trying new tobaccos and enjoy aromatic and oriental blends. My question is can I case tobacco that I buy, say apply a vanilla casing or flavor to something like prince albert. I have a vanilla extract that I made with whole beans and bourbon, can I just spray this on or is this just a crazy idea.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
Thanks for welcoming me to the forums, ive been creeping around in the shadows here for a couple of weeks. Thanks rothnh for the information, I have a lot to learn.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Welcome and best wishes in giving up the nails.
I've used honey and molasses (with a little water) to case tobaccos at home -- both came out just fine.
The bourbon-vanilla should "work" -- like roth said, there's all kinds of factors that will determine whether it comes out good or not. But try it and report back here! I doubt I'm the only one who'd be interested to hear how it comes out. Prince Albert is probably a great choice for the experiment.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I'm going to mist some on and let it sit for a while, I was thinking about a week. I will report back with how it turns out.

graywizard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2013
I recently tried this with some dark Jamaican rum going after an old no longer available blend from dunhill. never worked out. wasted tobacco and wasted the pint of rum. Tried it various ways and amounts and other factors. nothing... Good luck.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that graywizard, I figure with a pouch of PA the worst I'm out is $3.50 and a little bit of vanilla. Last night I started the topping procedure by emptying the pouch into a bowl and spraying the vanilla on then mixing then spraying then mixing infill it was good and damp but not to wet. I packed it into an old tin and am going to let it sit for a while before letting it dry out to smoke, hopefully I can avoid any mold.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
The extract Im using is one i made myself with woodford reserve burbon and madagascar vanilla beans, with no added sugar, theres a very small amount of sugar in the beans themselves, and Im hoping that it will turn out alright, but if not I hope to at least learn something. Im hoping to learn much mor about processing tobacco and growing it, I would make my own pipe tobacco from start to finish one day.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
well I wanted to let you all know that the experiment was successful. when I opened the tin it smelled very strongly of bourbon and I could not smell the vanilla at all, the tobacco was quite damp. After letting it dry for an hour in a saucer it was dried enough to smoke, and the overwhelming bourbon smell was gone replaced by a delicate smell of bourbon and the vanilla was there. i packed a bowl and smoked it, the vanilla flavor was just barley there in the flavor, but the you could smell it in the smoke. I could taste a little bit of the burbon, but it was fairly mellow and did not get in the way of the tobacco taste. I enjoyed it, and think I will try it again in the future, probably with some better tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.