PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstnhwrd21

Lurker
Dec 21, 2013
I'm fairly new to making pipes and my first few attempts were thwarted by soft wood or overly dry wood with hidden cracks. I have recently tried a variety of woods such as cedar, birch, and some type of elm. I have a few Bodark/ Horse apple trees in the back acre that I've thought about taking down and using it for a pipe, as the wood is durable, flexible, non-porous, and extremely strong once dried. It will tear apart chainsaw blades in a heart beat and termites won't come near it when it's dried because it becomes almost as hard as stone. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried to make a pipe from Bodark, and if so are there any natural toxins in it, how well does it smoke, and how long does it last?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Also known as Osage Orange- I've used it for shank extensions. It should be fine for a pipe- biggest challenge is working it without discoloring. If you buff or sand it too aggresssively, it tend to burn,,,

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've used it for tampers and like working with it. I have two turning blocks of Osage Orange I bought just to make pipes from,as soon as the wood is dry enough to work. Do you have an Mulberry trees around? Mulberry makes a great pipe,I've made about half a dozen from it.The color is quite similar to Osage Orange,think the Osage may be a bit harder.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Why not just get hold of Tim West at J.H. Lowe. He has a website that's easy to find in a search, and he'll sell you a decent block of briar for less than ten bucks. I hear briar is great for making pipes! :wink:

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
" I hear briar is great for making pipes!" 8O
There's also a forum of pipemakers new and seasoned with a wealth of information:

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/index.php
Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Look for briar stock on eBay, then head over to YouTube and check out the various 'how to' vids.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
Be careful. Some woods are toxic...like cedar which is used to keep insects away and should always be sanded with a respirator on. Other woods just don't taste good, are unstable (prone to checks and warping), burn out too quickly or are just plain plain and boring to look at. There is a reason briar is so highly favored. As said, olive, cherry, strawberry and morta(bog oak) can be used to make excellent pipes.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
I've seen several pipes made from osage orange (aka hedge apple, aka bodark, aka bois d'arc... you get the idea), and I'm told they work well. The wood is dense enough for the work, anyway, and the color is just cool.
I say go for it, although you should dry the wood thoroughly first. If you cut a chunk of it out of a freshly-felled log, you should seal the end-grain (I like paraffin wax, which is just candle wax) so it doesn't split as it dries. Now the bad news: if you air-dry it, you should let it dry for one year per inch of thickness. If you try to work it while it's too wet, it will continue to lose moisture, and the mortise will distort, making the stem not fit properly. Plus, it may well crack in use as the heat from the burning tobacco will dry the wood out unevenly. There are faster ways to dry wood, of course, and you can look them up online. You'll find everything from solar kilns to microwave ovens. Most of them work as advertized. So if you're patient, you will eventually end up with a pipe from a log you cut up yourself. That's hard to beat.
In the meantime, a good chunk of briar isn't all that expensive.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm no pipe carver, so it's my two cents, but I think it would give you more return on your time to focus

on the different briars and learn those. You'd be most likely to get a first-rate pipe for all your work.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
You were told about Tim West, another is Vermont Freehand on facebook. Steve is a really good guy to deal with. His prices are great and he takes the time to answer questions usually providing you with more than you asked.
There is a reason briar is so popular. I have read about a pipe being a sweet smoker. When you cut your 1st piece of briar the light bulb goes off. Its a very sweet smelling wood when you are cutting it. At least everything I have cut so far (which is not much), hence a sweet smoking pipe. I assume at some point I will have some wood that is not so sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.