Cartoon / fictional characters that smoke a pipe, and what pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I will start with this one:
Popeye
popeye11sm.jpg

His pipe style is obviously corn cob with a straight stem.
What is in his pipe?

I think probably some navy flake.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
This one is also super familiar for most people:
Sherlock Holmes
sherlock-holmes-basil-rathbone.jpg

His pipe shape has seen some evolution - from a briar pipe to a Calabash, but definitely he smokes a bent pipe of not super chubby style. See a more recent interpretation of the young Sherlock Holmes:
youngsherlockholmes111920128.jpeg

What is in his pipe?

Probably some English mixture that burns well and doesn't interrupt his thought - just my guess.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
pinocchio-smoking.gif

When I grew up.....as if...TV was just becoming available. The first TV program I remember other than the test pattern is The Howdy Doody Show. It featured a stringed puppet.

A few years later, I got to watch the movie Pinocchio on TV! It too, featured an articulated wooden puppet.

One scene I always remember involves Pinocchio smoking a cigar.
Seems there are lots of Disney characters shown smoking.

donald-duck-smoking.gif

I'll betcha JimInks has drawn a few, while smoking his pipe!

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Movie-Art-Antonio-Peres-Vieira-Filho-Davy-Jones.jpg

His pipe shape seems to be one of those carved meerschaum pipe, but it is written that is a pipe made of bone:

...the pipe's bowl was carved of whale bone and elaborately decorated with ten miniature crab legs forming some kind of a crown. The shank and the mouthpiece were made of silver mined on the bottom of the ocean...
What was in his pipe? I guess some navy flake, but it is also written:

...Jones filled the pipe with a mixture which burned under water which allowed him to smoke even when the Flying Dutchman was submerged...

Now, I am really not sure what that is, and how wet it can be to smoke a pipe under water, perhaps the mixture is some 'Flying Dutchman mixture' with potassium chlorate toppings.

flying-dutchman-pipe-tobacco-tin.jpg

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
My favourite:

I wouldn't dare to take a guess at Zippy's favourite blend, though. Spun polyester, maybe...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Newbroom: less than you think, although I always have a pipe going when I draw. Unfortunately, the big comic book companies have banned smoking in their comics. Archie did that in the 1990s, Marvel and DC about 10-12 years ago. Really ticks me off, too. But I doodle lots of pipe smokers. Even did a commission for a fellow pipe smoker of Captain America smoking a pipe, The bowl was the face of Ben Grimm. Also did one of Batman smoking a pipe.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Nick Knatterton is a German pipe smoking detective. Always smokes a long stemmed straight pipe, billiard or a prince. Or something in between. Sometimes a dublin.
odgyteL.png

UJQOrDq.jpg

Here's one cartoon short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGTAPXWMZf4
Open in YouTube and Click the "cc"for English subtitles.

Status
Not open for further replies.