PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have been experimenting with many home mixes of late and have found 2 really good ones for ya'll to try. I kept it simple as that is the direction I am headed in again.
Carter Hall is my new staple and base for cutting and mixing as it is good stuff and dirt cheap. So without further ado: 60/40 Carter Hall and Storm Front; terrific taste and easy to smoke. 50/50 Carter Hall and Walnut; simply outstanding.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Sounds great. Carter Hall is great for breaking in a new pipe. I like Carter with Northwoods, and Carter with Mac Baren VCF. I'll have to give your recommendations a try. Thanks!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
4noggins is always great with Carter Hall and Walnut. You can get them by the ounce or tub. Don't forget to try the Storm Front as well.
Get yourself a gigantic sealed container, and dump in a 14oz tub of Carter Hall and a 12oz tub of Walnut. Add about 4ounces of Storm Front to it and shake it all around. I have been smoking a pipe for 18 yrs, and this is so much better, to me, than any tin I can find on the market.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Walnut, to me, is an extremely mild English like taste. I find the Carter Hall adds a bit more to the Burley and the Virgina also comes tru. With my crazy mix, I can taste the nutty like Burley and spicy virgina along with just a faint hint of Latakia. The 2 blends just seem to go together and burn perfectly as well. I like to add a bit of Storm Front sometimes to give it just a bit of a smokey flavour.
I have been, for quite some time now, trying to find my 5 favorite tobaccos so as to stock up (at least 10yrs supply)in case it becomes more difficult to ship to Canada in the future. My tops so far are: Carter Hall, Walnut, Storm Front, MacBarrens Mixture(Scottish Blend), 1792 Flake, HH Old Darkfired, A little Penzance, and a very few others.
My theory is that I can smoke Carter Hall, Walnut and Storm Front each by themselves or mix to different ratio's for different tastes or moods. The others are just baccy's that I like to have once in awhile, but wouldn't miss too much if I couldn't get them. I can easily store 10 yrs supply of the top 3 baccys in a very small area and at a very cheap price. Most days I crave nothing but the Old Codger baccys, but I will continue to have a few tins of some others for that "Once in a while" smoke.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Indeed mate. A tub of Carter Hall, a tub of Walnut and 8oz of Storm Front, all mixed together = 34 ounces. Cost including 14.00 shipping comes to $96.00. Smoking @ 4oz per week(which is heavy) = 8.5 weeks. Cost for baccy is only $12.00 per week!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
NSFISHER don't you get hassled by customs getting the carter hall shipped in the tub? I wish I could get my hands on some to try as I'm going to Buffalo in a few weeks and will have an opportunity to stock up. Anyone know where I can get some CH in the Toronto area?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I with you NS. I love Carter Hall. Also like Walnut quite a bit and like to mix the two and also like to mix Walnut with PA or Mac B. Golden Extra. Never tried mixing with Storm Front-actually need to order more SF.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I love mixing Carter Hall with , northwoods , nightcap ( as suggested by The Old Cajun ) , and various Aro's . I smoked a pipe for about 5 years and 4 of the 5 years I only bought Carter Hall and on occasion captain black because these were all I could get at my local tobacco plus . I still keep Carter Hall in the tobacco pantry . I discovered online tobacco places after a fellow smoker told me there were thousands of fabulous blends and flavors that I could buy via the net .

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i like carter hall. i have mixed it with numerous tobacs. seems to mix well with just about any other tobac. i like to mix ch with virgina tobac and a small pinch of perique.
mike.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Love Walnut and Sugar Barrel and use them both to mix... just never together... Yet! Stay tuned! As for CH... Ed, maybe third time will be a charm! Use my Velvet and KC Mild to mix also. Smoked Half&Half with Smokers Pride Black Cavendish(50/50) for a long time. Love the burleys!

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I too have really started to enjoy Carter Hall alot. I am going to try blending it 50/50 with Lane 1Q. Has anyone tried this yet?

Carter Hall seems to burn perfect in my cobs with no bite and burns all the way to the bottom with few if any relights. I am sold on CH!!! :worship:

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Just ordered a Tub of Carter Hall, Walnut, and 4oz of Storm Front tonight. I guess I know where to send the Walnut and Storm Front if I don't like it. I can't wait to try your suggestions Fisher!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
This place is hilarious sometimes. A couple of threads about a blend and everyone rushes to order it... :puffy: Yeah, I ordered some today too...
I'm already a fan of Sugar Barrel, so I'm looking forward to trying CH.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I've had the Carter Hall before to break in new bowls and to mix with Boswell's Northwoods for what Bradley calls Carter Woods. Until now, I have only bought the pouches at $3.65 each so the tub is the way to go. It is good stuff for sure.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@05venturer

Yes mate, I have mixed it with 1-Q and many other blends as well. I even like it with Penz. and Stonehaven.

For some reason, these old Codger Blends go well with most anything, but there are some that just stand out.
I do hope that everyone realizes that these are my preferences to my tastes only. I am just sharing my experiences about them. I don't want anyone putting out cash for tobacco that they may not like, and then becoming angry.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Is there another tobacco the taste similar to Storm Front? If there is, I probably have some, but never SF.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Well I want to try Walnut and Storm Front separately before doing any mixing. I just finished a bowl of Storm Front and it was nice and tasty. Nothing complex but a dang fine smoke. I will definitely be ordering more of this creation of John Patton's in the future. Nice call fisher!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I got my Walnut in the mail today. Haven't tried it yet, and want to try it solo before I start mixing. The tin note was definitely not what expected from an OTC. Has a very 'English' aroma.
I have expectations that are properly scaled to the OTC category, but am anxious to try this out over the weekend.
In response to the comment above, I think members rush to order stuff like this because everyone is seeking the Holy Grail: an OTC pipe tobacco (or mix of OTCs) that satisfies both the pallet and the wallet. I have yet to find it but, like many, I keep trying...

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I just tried my Walnut. It was a very nice. Well worth the price for a tub. I'll try some of the mixing suggestions tomorrow. In all, I am very please with Walnut and Storm Front on their own. Good stuff. Great value!

Status
Not open for further replies.