PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I witnessed an event at my local Costco last night that certainly had my analytical wheels turning.
As most of you that shop there know, Costco stops you as you are exiting and checks your receipt (though frankly, it never looks to me like they are checking anything).
I have always been a bit annoyed about this, particularly when there is a long line of carts waiting to leave the store (as there was last night), but have always considered it a minor annoyance and simply complied. The lawyer in me though has always wondered what Costco would do if someone didn't stop for the inspection and tried to leave the store. Well, now I know.
Much to my delight, last night I witnessed a fellow bolt right past the person who was doing the inspection. He indicated that he "was not interested in a search" and just kept walking toward the door. Let me be clear - there is no doubt this guy was an asshole, of that there is no doubt. That's not what this post is about.
What surprised me, is that he was actually physically grabbed by the Costco inspector, who promptly screamed, resulting in two other Costco employees coming to her aid. All three physically held the man so he could not leave the store. There is no indication the guy stole anything - he clearly had a receipt in his hand, He was just an ass trying to make a point.
I really think Costco needs to get some legal advice because I think they are guilty, in this instance, of the torts of unlawful confinement and assault, and possibly even criminal activity.
The Costco position, which they indicated to this guy last night, was that he agreed to be searched under the terms of his Costco membership. I haven't looked at whether this is correct, but I suspect it is, and will assume for the purposes of this discussion that it is correct.
However, even if it is correct, my view as a lawyer is that Costco's legal recourse is to terminate the guy's membership - not unlawfully detain and assault him. At least this is the case under Canadian law. If a person consents to be searched, they have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. If they do withdraw that consent, then the person conducting the search must stop immediately. Costco may have a contractual claim against this individual for breaching his membership agreement, the consequence of which should be the termination of his Costco membership, but for Costco to hold and detain the fellow in my view was clearly tortious, and possibly even criminal. In Canada a citizen only has the right to detain someone if they are witnessing an indictable offence in progress. Beyond that, the only recourse available to a private citizen is to alert the police and let them deal with it.
I don't know how the whole thing ended up. When I left the man was phoning 911 to report a crime.
Crazy stuff. The guy was an ass, but even an ass can make a point now and again (yes, even cigrmaster).
In any event, I just thought this was interesting and I thought I would toss it out there for some Friday afternoon water cooler discourse.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
When you join Costco you sign a contract allowing the practice if I am not mistaken. That is why they can preform these checks while at a normal public store they can only request to see a receipt and you have no obligation to oblige. So I believe you are correct there but I also do not believe that this makes the man who left guilty of any crime. This is how is was explained to me in loss prevention training back when I ran retail stores. Grabbing a customer is assault unless you are in the process of placing him under citizens arrest. I had Walmart try to detain me for not showing a receipt and I threatened to call the police on them. I believe in the US at least, Costco would be completely liable for assault and either illegal detention or false arrest.
Ugh edited: I need to finish my coffee before trying to make sense.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Sorry if it seemed that I sought to implied such. I was attempting to agree with you. They certainly had no lawful justification for their action, was what I was trying to convey. I would seek legal council if I was him... why didn't you hand him a card? I definitely need to finish my coffee before attempting to communicate :crazy:.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
It doesn't make sense to me that one party can sign a contract that allows another party to do something illegal to them. But I am not a lawyer, so I don't know nuttin about it.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
The guy doesn't sound like an ass to me (at least based on what you reported). He paid for the goods so why should he put up with unwelcome security checks or being asaulted like this. You can't just treat customers like criminals without any grounds for suspicion. I'm glad there are people like this to take a stand against this sort of bullshit. I've no sympathy for Costco if they get hammered for the way they treated the guy.
Why didn't you stick around, Peck, to see how it ended? I think I'd have stood there filming it on my phone just for the hell of it. But maybe I'm an ass too.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
It doesn't make sense to me that one party can sign a contract that allows another party to do something illegal to them.
The contract allows them to require you to show receipt but I believe Peck is correct that the only action they could take for noncompliance would be to cancel the membership. It certainly does not allow for this type of manhandling.
He paid for the goods so why should he put up with unwelcome security checks

I agree with your assertion about assault but he was not forced to join Costco. If you don't like the contract, don't sign it or shop there. That is why I will not get a Sam's Club membership, although I have a card from my work.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
They do this same receipt check at Best Buy here in NH. Now I want to go and run the gauntlet!

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I think I can agree that Costco employees stepped over the line by physically detaining the guy. Physically laying hands on anyone takes it to a whole other level. The better course of action would have been to use the terms of his membership contract as grounds to terminate his membership from the store and teach him a lesson that way, especially if they had no security camera footage or any other evidence to suggest that he was breaking any laws such as shoplifting. Just ban the dude from the store and be done with it.
On the other side of the equation, if you are a Costsco (or Sam's Club, as they have pretty much the same store exiting procedure) then you are already aware of what the protocol is for customers exiting the store. You know this going in, you know this if you read the membership agreement you signed. So why be an asshole and try to make a big scene by thinking you're better than everyone else and disrupting the procedure? Nobody is forcing him to shop at Costco. If he really feels like he isn't interested in going with the flow of how they do business, then he is free to shop elsewhere.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I remember a 60 minutes clip or, something similar, were the reporter challanged the door check. He reviewed the agreement to make sure nothing specified they had the (Sam's) right to check items after a purchase. I'm sure they and others amended the agreement.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
They do this same receipt check at Best Buy here in NH

Best Buy has no contract so they have no legal right to demand a receipt. You can walk right out and they can either risk placing you under citizens arrest and being sued or let you go.

Similar thing happened to me at a Walmart. I had to pick up tights for my daughter's recital of which we were running late, hurry hurry hurry, one small bag, one small receipt. Old old lady at door tells me to stop, moving slow as Christmas, meanwhile she is searching three fully packed buggies of stuff before me. So, I just walked out. She screamed for security. Two goony idiots grabbed my arm just as the police was driving up, and the police scolded them for detaining me. I handed the police my receipt and opened my bag, and I was on my way, much faster than if I had waited for the old old lady.
When I read your OP, I was thinking that everyone must have thought that I was an ass that time also. But, so what. When you're in a hurry and a ten year old girl puts their faith in you, you'll move mountains to get the task done. Other people's opinions be damned. :puffy:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Last time I was at BJ'S though it's been a couple of years since I have been there they had cart checkers.It didn't seem like they did a very complete search though..A Cams Club recently opened not far from me.I don't know what their policy is.Let me just say here..I don't steal,and I don't like someone implying that I do.Not the main reason,but one of the reasons I don't shop at those places.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
GREAT story.
I'm not a lawyer, but this seems correct to me, Canada or US:
"Costco may have a contractual claim against this individual for breaching his membership agreement, the consequence of which should be the termination of his Costco membership, but for Costco to hold and detain the fellow in my view was clearly tortious, and possibly even criminal."
I don't stop for Walmart checkers, either. The only time anything happened, the senior citizen shouted for me to stop a couple of times. Maybe next time, I should keep an eye out for the "goons." LOL
I haven't shopped at Best Buy since 2002, precisely because they check if you've stolen anything immediately after taking your money.

purplemotoman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I am pretty sure that no matter how much of an ass he was they can not grab him and physically restrain him. Even security trained and certified bouncers are limited to the amount of force they can use. When I did my bartender training we were told that in no way can we ever put our hands on anyone. That sucked because I have had a few idiots I have wanted to toss.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Needless to say, we like to use shopping buggies down here.

I thought buggy's carried people and were horse drawn... you crazy southerners. Making up words and such. :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think this is an interesting legal discussion, but not being either a lawyer or student of the law, I can't parse it in those terms.

However, we all live in a web of "agreements" in small print, and implied agreements under some interpretation of the law. The

amount of control and discretion we sign away most especially to employers, supervisors, credit card companies, social media,

various utilities monopolies, and so on is astounding. The simple fact that many of these entities have access to legal staffs to

win cases against us that may actually have little merit (it happens all the time, folks, more often than not in some places and times)

tips the scale against "truth, justice, and democracy." Does anyone remember when Pres. Bush the First pursued negation of the

first amendment rights of federal employees all the way to the Supreme Court before letting go of that initiative? No, you don't

remember and neither does anyone else. But it's a solid fact of history.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Peck
Leave it to you to bring up a controversial subject nothing to do with tobacco.
Bless you! So entertaining!
TSA has the right to stop everyone and bring life to a near halt every time one goes to take a plane. I was bringing my mother back from Florida at 83 and in a wheel chair. She was stopped, taken out of the chair, searched and put back in while many who, shall we say, 'walk the walk, talk the talk' were let by without any inspection other than the simple metal detector (this is 10-15 years ago).
I readily submit to the 'buggy' check because I realize that there are so many dirt bags out there who steal anything that they can get their hands on.
It's a deterrent, not an answer.
I get irritated when the check person takes forever, but my local Sam's club is pretty good about it when there is a long line.
My guess is that fellow is going to get some $$ out of this.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I think the most startling part of this whole story is that an employee/several employees that probably make minimum wage (except maybe the supervisor) possibly put themselves in harms way. There was a local guy that was detained in a liquor store due to the fact that someone thought he had stolen something. Two employees tried to detain him and unfortunately for them he was a semi-professional MMA fighter. After promptly whipping both of their asses HE called the police to report an assault. The employees not only got busted up but were arrested for the assault. The MMA guy decided not to press charges and the two were released.
BTW-the MMA guy did not steal anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.