PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I am buying some Carnauba Wax for the first time. I don't really know how to use it yet but I was going to ask about that later.
My question now is whether I need it in bar form or if buying it as flakes to get a better price is ok?
I can get a 3.2oz bar for $11 or 8oz of flakes for $15. Which is the wiser choice?

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
As far as I know, they are the same material. I buy flakes, throw them in the bottom of a soda can, gently heat, cool, and end up with a cake.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
You would need it in block form as you need a buffer to apply but I dont see why you cant buy pellets and melt them in a water bath to make your own bars

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Get a bar. It lasts a really, really long time. I bought a block about 7 years ago and broke a corner off to apply it to my buffing wheel. I'm still using that same corner.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
Thanks. That's settled. I will throw a bar on my next amazon order. I think I need another Godzilla movie too.
Now. Is there a way to try and use this stuff without buying a buffer? I just want to re-wax a pipe that I spilled alcohol on.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Now. Is there a way to try and use this stuff without buying a buffer? I just want to re-wax a pipe that I spilled alcohol on.
Not really. You'd be better off with a paste wax like Renaissance or Paragon.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
You could melt it down and mix it with food grade mineral oil. I'd try one part wax to 2 parts oil to start. You wont get as high a shine as a buffer would give though

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I'm going to buy some "Halcyon II" wax which is the updated version of Renaissance which is good even for rusticated pipes and also some "Paragon" which is only good for smooth pipes both from finepipes.com.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have used carnauba wax without a buffer. You can use it just like you would shoe polish on a clean rag but it does take a lot of elbow grease and extra time.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
The micro-crystalline waxes from finepipes are definitely a good way to go. It does have a different gloss than buffed on carnuba. Hopefully you won't get a noticeable mis-match in shine. Was the spill just a spot? I've never gone over top of carnuba with a MC wax so not sure how it will end up looking.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
No, I'm not sure of anything. I have never tried any pipe repair or maintenance before. It is a rusticated Kaywoodie that I got a bunch of Bacardi 151 all over in my ignorance. That was my first lesson. The pipe is not that important so it is probably ok for this to be a learning experience. Maybe I will end up totally refinishing it as a learning project. I have not actually bought the wax yet. Do I need to know anything else before I try this. I figure I need to learn this stuff somehow. I might as well start here.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I will second the choice of Halcyon and Paragon waxes. They are fantastic products, very easy to apply, and give pretty miraculous results. The idea of getting a buffing machine, and the risk of over-buffing the pipe or having pipe parts flying into the walls or my face fills me with horror.
Anyway, give Halcyon a try. It is cheap and one small jar is kind of a lifetime supply.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I have one of those meat injectors I use to add alcohol to the bowls. Using that I rarely spill alcohol.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If the shellac was damaged, you may have to remove it all with nail polish remover so that you can get an even application of whatever wax you decide to use.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I have one of those meat injectors I use to add alcohol to the bowls. Using that I rarely spill alcohol.
An old Visine bottle is what I've found works best, plenty of precise control plus you have a built in refillable reservoir for the alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.