PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I had a friend ask me to re-stain and shine a old Carey Magic Inch for his dad. It wasn't in bad shape or anything but he wanted it darker. I know the background on the company and that they seem to have been just a cheap decent pipe for the money. They also always seem to be available in Antique stores. Just curious how they smoke. The design seems like it would keep moisture and bits from going up the stem. Anybody smoke these?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I owned a Carey Magic Inch pipe for ten years or more. It wasn't a bad little smoker, but the magic inch feature never seemed to do much. Since some of pipe smoking is kind of a quest for authenticity, I think it finally annoyed me, and eventually I gave the pipe to a friend, a former Lucky Strike smoker who really just wanted a few pipes for decor. It's irrational whim on my part, but I think I enjoy my similar pipes without the patented feature more that I did the Carey. I do admire their irresistible ads, which enticed me to buy the pipe in the first place. I think they should quietly market an accessory that renders the pipe smokeable without the magic inch "thing." It's a serviceable, light weight, portable little pipe otherwise.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have one that I inherited from my Dad, but never smoke it anymore (I don't think he did either), I just couldn't get it to smoke right for me. I eventually put it away in a shoe box with some other cheap pipes that I no longer smoke for various reasons.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
EA Carey has a web presence and an email list you can subscribe to (I have bought from them, but not a pipe):

http://www.eacarey.com/careyclassics.html
Also, this pipe system has been discussed here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/carey-magic-inch-pipe

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/magic-inch-proscons
I couldn't find another thread, but remember two things mentioned:

1. The quality of the stem material caused problems;

2. Someone said that the system's name came from Mrs. Carey's pet name for Mr. Carey.

[one of those is more likely true than the other]

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Had a E A Carey's magic inch pipe 20+ years ago before I stopped smoking and went into fitness, not that it did me any good (the fitness that is) because I still got terminal cancer! Diagnosed in 2013 chemotherapy took well and has given me extended life, anyway went back to smoking a pipe and have not missed a day since my cancer. My wife says the fitness helped, possibly, I like to think the smoking has helped, gives me quality time.

Anyway regarding the magic inch never liked it, those messy paperets and everything, feel mso489's idea of a device to covert the pipe to normal is a great idea.

Have a non Magic inch, E A Carey's "little gem" great pipe.

Here in the UK I regularly use E A Carey's and Havana House, both trustworthy companies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
This is the pipe he wanted re-stained.
IMG_0036_zpsgbazgioq.jpg

And after, just doesn't seem like the plastic parts would hold up well but I don't know. I guess it lasted this long.
IMG_0048_zpstb2mlazl.jpg

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Great lookin pipe.
Looks a lot like the one I refurbed earlier this year and then ended up donating it and a few others to shaintiques to give to our military folk stationed overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.