PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Will soon have a very old pipe in my possession with both an amber stem and bone screw tenon, and need some general care advice in the event that I decide to smoke it.
1-Should the bone screw remain in the briar when the stem is removed?
2-Is it safe to run a pipe cleaner through it after a smoke like a regular pipe?
3-Other than sunlight and alcohol, what else should I avoid with the amber?
Thanks in advance for answers to these questions, and feel free to offer experienced advice on any aspect of these kind of pipes that I haven't posed questions about.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
1. Generally, the bone screw would be attached to the mouthpiece -- it's the tenon, basically. Alas, sometimes the screw gets stuck in the shank and the mouthpiece unscrews, but as long as you take care of the pipe, that shouldn't happen.
2. Sure, I use pipe cleaners on mine, but sometimes the draft hole is pretty narrow, so just be careful.
4. Amber is brittle, so be careful when clinching (or don't clinch at all).
I assume this is about the KBB -- do you plan to smoke it?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As usual. pitchfork is spot on.

This is not a pipe to clench. The amber will get damaged. Perfect to smoke holding it your hand.

As amber is brittle, don't force it if the stem is stuck. Amber can crack pretty easily. And NEVER put amber in the freezer to try to loosen a stuck stem unless you're fond of amber shards when you try to twist it.

One last thing, go easy on the alcohol when cleaning.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
If its like old cuttys...DO NOT take it apart! Pipe cleaner only(craft style softie) after each smoke. For what its worth Brother...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
10-4 friends. As stated, it may never get smoked, but I know me. :mrgreen:
I'm firmly in the "smoke it!" camp, but I've had an unsmoked 1916 GBD/MRC (with amber stem) for about a year and I still haven't brought myself to smoke it. Some day!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Will probably give in. Just feels wrong to allow something to be a virgin for a century. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.