PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2013
Hi Everyone!
I'm starting up a cellar, and already have 9 square 50 g tins, 2 mason jar 100 g and 1 mason jar 50 g.
I want to take as good care of the tins as possible, and have wrapped each of them in freezing plastic bags and but them all in a bigger ikea bag together.
But I am afraid now that its not a good thing to do, do any of you know if it is a good thing or if it has some cons?
Thanks alot.
Reflectingdane

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just place the tins in a box. If the local humidity was on the high side, I suppose I would worry about external rust,

in which case I'd put them in plastic containers -- perhaps with a desiccant like silica gel. The jars need nothing but

protection from direct sunlight.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
If you are talking long-term storage; get the largest Coleman Cooler(s) you can afford and fill them up. It would be a good idea to have a packing slip in each one so that you don't have to go rummaging through a dozen coolers to find what you are looking for (I am speaking from frustrating experience). Store the cooler(s) in the coolest, dry spot you can find although the coolers should protect the tins from extreme temp and humidity changes anyway.
I do have an off-site storage unit that is climate controlled where excess furniture, etc is kept. I told the wife several years back that I wanted to protect our excess furniture. She got suspicious of my true desires when she went to get some furniture out of storage and found a couple of dozen Coleman Coolers stacked in the unit filled with tobacco tins.
Best,

Pipestud

Apr 6, 2013
Thankj alot both of you
Cortez: That was exactly what I was worried about. I had just told myself first that it was a brilliant idea, that now they were protected against anything. I will find another storing method now.
pipestud: Thanks for the advice. I will look around for something like it. For now, I will just take them out of the bags and put them in a cardbord box.
They are in a cool, dark and dry bottom of a closet. Now I'm going on a hunt for some boxes!

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Square tins, especially the ones from the tribe of Gawith, can pop loose. Either inspect them frequently or just immediately open the tins and jar the contents.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
@pipestud:
...She got suspicious of my true desires when she went to get some furniture out of storage and found a couple of dozen Coleman Coolers stacked in the unit filled with tobacco tins.
But they ARE furniture. :mrgreen:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Don't forget that you need to talk with your tobacco. Speak reassuringly, with compasion and care. Let it know of important changes in your life. Let it know well ahead of time before you remove anything for smoking. Let it know that it is loved, and that you will take care of it.

Apr 6, 2013
Yeah, care might not be the right word. My native language isn't english.
Good one woodsroad :)
Edit: Jeesus I didn't really see what I had written before now, sorry for any misunderstandings

Dec 24, 2012
Personally, I like to stroke and caress my tins at least once a week. I also read them stories on occasion. I find that they enjoy it greatly and, as a result, the number of random exploding tins in my cellar has dwindled down to nil.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
woodsroad, that was extremely funny, well thought out and maybe the best post I have ever read in my time on this forum.
I like to put my tins on my bed, get naked and roll around with them for an hour or so. They seem to really enjoy that. Of course I always shower and use my best cologne before hand.

Apr 6, 2013
Guys, I have one more question which is very important to me
Do any of you know if the new danish square 50 g tins will do okay for long term aging? I mean the ones that the new Capstan, Erinmore and others are produced in.
Or at least if they will do better than the old ones like the one in this article: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2013/6/2/smoking-vintage-capstan.html ?
I know many say that square tins won't do very good, but I would prefer to keep my tobacco in the original tins - if possible
Thanks,

ReflectingDane

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Reflectingdane, as long as the tins a kept at a constant temperature, no fluctuating between cold and hot, you should not have any issues with seals breaking. If you are really concerned, jar up the contents. But I personally would not worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.