PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I've never put a commercial post on these forums before, but since advertisers on Pipes Magazine are allowed to occasionally do so, I figured this news would qualify as a reasonable exception. We have just released Captain Black Dark to the public for the first time. It will be, for the time being, only available through our site, but will be available everywhere later this summer.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
blendtobac, Captain Black in the white pouch is described as "rich black cavendish and mellowed

burleys, exceptionally mild, delightfully aromatic." How does Captain Black Dark differ? I have

a sample of the white on hand but haven't opened it yet. I like Lane's Q-1 and LL-7, and their

Burley Without Bite. I have read mixed reviews on Captain Black on Forums.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
This is a straight black Cavendish- no regular Burley or Virginia. It's sweet and fuller-bodied as aromatics go. It's nice on its own and will mix well with other aromatics to cool them down or add more richness.

As far as the mixed reviews on Captain Black, it's like all tobaccos- people enjoy what they enjoy. There are negative reviews for every blend on the market. I know that it's kind of fashionable to knock aromatics, but Captain Black is the best-selling brand in the US, so a lot of people would disagree with the negatives.
Russ

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Thanks, Kevin. The nic hit isn't overpowering, but it's there. If I had known further in advance, I would have let you know sooner. I will be sending you some if you want to review it.
Russ

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I was planning to place an order today in celebration of tomorrows WNTD, when suddenly I get an email about a brand new baccy, and a nice deal to boot, this must be fate!

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I was about to buy some but realized my financials were running a bit short... so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to purchase some.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm dealing with the same rayje and I'm reluctant to commit to that much baccy, I'd hate to have to try and orchestrate some trades or give it away. I usually get my CB in person so it's hard to justify shipping. I'm in a pickle...

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I really like Captain Black White and purchase RLP-6 in bulk. There was no way I was going to pass up an offer like Russ put together; I placed my order for Captain Black Dark straight away!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Black Cavendish is a good smoke. I haven't tried the new Captain Black Dark, but I'm glad

it's available and I'll look for it or order some. I have another favorite Black Cavendish, but

I won't mention that here, while you're launching this one. Black Cavendish has a good, mild

flavor. It smokes slowly and is good for long smokes in big bowls, but can give a good smoke

in smaller bowls too. And for domestic tranquility, it has a fine room note. My wife bought

me a nice quantity of Black Cavendish as a gift, and she always comments or asks what it is

when I smoke it, because it smells fragrant. I can't make that claim for many tobaccos.

So here's to Captain Black Dark. It sounds like a good niche in the OTC pouch market. I hope

it gets good, wide distribution. blendtobac, thanks for the good "advertisement" on this,

a heads up.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Yep, they ship to Washington, now. I have a Captain Black order on the way.
Thanks Russ, I've been lusting after your blends for awhile. This move has been great for me.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, I spent the entire 1980s and much of the early 90s smoking nothing but good ol' Captain Black White. And I'll still nip into the Ol' Captn on ocassion, when the sweet tooth doth calleth. So I suppose for ol' times sake I'll give the new one a wirl.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
How is Lane Ltd not suing you into the stone age for using the name "Captain Black"?

Status
Not open for further replies.