PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Cracked open a tin of this tonight and loaded up my first bowl. The label says exotic fruit and bourbon vanilla are the flavorings. The tin aroma is extraordinary. It is fruity but not a fruit I am familiar with. I can't smell any bourbon vanilla in it but still, the in not is amazing. Upon lighting, the tobacco has a very astringent taste to it, so much so that I put the pipe down. I let it sit for 30 minutes and relit it. This time the astringent taste was gone but I wouldn't exactly call it smooth until after the first few minutes when it levels out. Not a bad smoke but so far not a good one either. It remained fairly monochromatic through out the bowl without much of a tobacco taste coming though at any point. I'll try it in another bowl in a day or two and see how it goes.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Haunted,
It seems that your experience so far with this blend is similar to mine. You can read my review of it here:
CAO Moontrance - Pipe Tobacco Reviews
----------
Jayh Said: isnt this a cigarillo also?
The CAO Flavours line started off as cigars in various sizes. Last year they introduced the Flavours line of flavors in pipe tobacco blends as well. The pipe tobacco blends contain NO cigar leaf.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Great review Bob! I think you have a more discerning nose and palate than I do, which I envy. I will try it again as the first smoke of the day in a smaller pipe and go slower.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It seems going small and slow is the cure for this blend. I loaded up in a group 4 size Tilshead thats been rested for 6 months after the S/A treatment. Again, opening the tin is a delight but I can't for the life of me describe the aroma. On light the vanilla comes through and remains dominant as long as I smoke slowly. If I speed up, it easily becomes very hot and and very wet smoke. I don't smell or taste any fruit flavors, just a sublte creamy vanilla if I just cruise with it.
I can't see this becoming a regular smoke but it is good enough to be a nice diversion every now and again.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Haunted said:
Great review Bob! I think you have a more discerning nose and palate than I do

I thought so too when I first started reading Bob's reviews. But then I started to compare my impressions with Bob's, and I began to realize that my palate and nose aren't really different. It's just that Bob has a knack for identifying and articulating his perceptions. I've been working on that with my smoking experience so that I can identify and express that which I had been experiencing all along.

It helps to go back and re-read the reviews while you smoke the same blend.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Good point Cortez. Like I said in the reviews thread; anyone can do a review, it just takes some practice on learning how to translate what you are tasting into words.
One of the keys to picking up on individual flavors and aromas is to slow way down and completely focus on the task at hand. You have to put 100% of your attention on the smoke. When I'm doing a review I don't even watch TV. I just focus on the flavor and aroma of every single puff.
Cortez, I enjoyed reading the couple of reviews that you posted. When will you be posting another one?
-----
Back to the topic. I smoked some more of this last night in a meer churchwarden. It still is the same; not good, but not bad either. I will probably finish the tin that I have, but I will not be buying any more of it. There are too many other aromatics out there that I like much better.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
There are too many other aromatics out there that I like much better.

Can you give some examples? I'd be interested to hear what others you suggest.
For my part, I found Moontrance to be a pleasant smoke, but as I recall, it had a distinct toasted marshmallow taste that stuck around for the entire bowl. This is my favorite blend to smoke at my backyard fire pit. It also goes really good with S'Mores...
-Jason

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here a few of the blends that I really like from the top of my head and in no particular order:
Samuel Gawith Fire Dance Flake

Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

Dan Milonga

Hearth & Home Egg Nog

Just for Him Shortcut to Mushrooms

Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co Bob's Chocolate Flake

G.L. Pease Barbary Coast (not technically and aromatic, but it has some great flavors)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks, Bob! I'll have to try and find some of those locally. Internet ordering is all fine and good,but nothing satisfies that impulse urge than buying local! ;)
-Jason

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bob asked
Cortez, I enjoyed reading the couple of reviews that you posted. When will you be posting another one?

I've got a couple of tins I'd like to report on, but by their nature I can't smoke them too often, so it takes a long time to get to know the blend. I have to smoke just about a full tin before I feel comfortable describing it. So often, I'll pop a tin and fall in love, only to come back in a few days and wonder what the hell I was thinking! (I've done that with more than a few bimbos too! LOL)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
When my local tobacconist gets some more Blue Note back in, I will try it out. Thanks hauntedmyst!
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.