PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Picked up a tin of CAO Cherrybomb at my local B&M today.

Popped open the tin, and WOW, I was impressed! I don't know if all cherry aromatics are like this, but the smell of the tobacco pre-smoke was awesome, and very, very strong. On my first puff I tasted the cherry strong and clear, with just a hint of vanilla. After 20 minutes, the cherry had mellowed, and the vanilla flavor had become a bit stronger.

It took a light well, and has an very pleasant room-note. I daresay that if I had a wife or girlfriend she wouldn't dislike it at all! It smoked dry, but didn't stay lit particularly well for me once I got down near to the end. I'm not sure if this is just me, but this seems to be the way it goes with most aromatics.

This is quite the good blend, and I'm certainly going to be picking up more tobaccos from CAO in the future.

Cheers.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for the review. I've been curious about this blend. I think every new pipe smoker starts out with a cherry blend. I remember Middleton's cherry blend and then Lanes's Wild Cherry in the '70's.

I have since moved on to more English blends but lately began exploring aromatics again.

I think I'll try this one based on your comments.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
You know, a cherry blend remains on my to-do list. I expect I'll try one eventually (my local B&M carries the McClelland three cherry bulk blend), but right from the start I was warned away from cherry blends. I guess it was the association with cheap drug store flamethrowers that brought it on, but that was the advice I got.
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cherry Bomb is good.

However; I prefer Paladin Black Cherry.

It is so creamy and smooth, it seems you can take a bite out it.

It's got some other things going for it; first and foremost... It's inexpensive, and OTC.
As for being a flavor that new pipe smokers try or are drawn to; some of old guys like it too.

I try to keep a pouch on hand at all times.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
So when you smoked this, it didn't bite your tongue at all? Most cherrys I have tried smelled like cherry toilet disks and bite so bad they made you pray for an early death. I've given up finding a good one. Your review gives me hope!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I picked up a tin of Cherry Bomb yesterday based on collindow's somments. Bob, your review was spot on as I didn't detect any vanilla. I suspect that the addition of the vanilla has somewhat softened the cherry. A delightful smoke which, franky, surprised me as I am wary of cherry blends.

Definitely part of the rotation now.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My current favorite is Sam Gawith's Celtic Talisman. Not overpoweringly cherry tasting and no tongue-bite at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.