Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Today, I tried Penzance for the first time while my wife was at work. She's not fond of the fact that I smoke a pipe so I tend to do it outside and the smell is usually off me before she gets home. Today I showered, flossed, brushed my teeth, had coffee, and ate dinner. 5 hours later she was able to smell it on my breath. That's the first one I haven't been able to wash away signs of - told me that my breath literally smelled like shit :lol: That might be one I'll have to take out of my rotation.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
"No, honey, I was just munching on a turd. It has nothing to do with the pipe."
You might consider cultivating a habit of consuming some food she finds disgusting, like smoked oysters or fried clams, so you can blame that when you've been huffing Mixture 79 (sometimes called "Penzance," it's a nickname) under the porch.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Haha! I had even made sure to sprinkle a TON of garlic over dinner too! Fried clams may work better. Mixture 79... hmm.. that sounds familiar.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Humph?! My wife grabbed me today and said, "You smell so *#!? good!". It wasn't after a bowl of Penzance, but it could have very well'ev been. Your wife is still getting to know you and doesn't know everything. I'm sure your breath smelled just fine. Tell her to not knock it until she tries it. My wife passed, but maybe yours will take you up on the offer... and that could be fun?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yup, that's because Penzance is cased and then topped with diesel fuel. That shit stays on your breath! It doubles as a good tobacco accelerant too!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Will the new FDA regulations effect the use of diesel fuel in tobacco? Will it be double taxed for fuel and tobacco?

Dec 28, 2015
I didn't really believe the original post but yesterday I finally got to try Penzance for the first time myself. I have finally gotten to the point that my wife doesn't really mention the smell after I smoke my pipe around her. But taking a tip from this post, I did use mouthwash and brush my teeth following my after dinner bowl. After a couple of hours sitting and talking with her I assumed that I was in good shape. No mention of any bad smell. Then after another tooth brushing, she gave me a goodnight kiss at which point she curled her lips and said "my God"! And that statement was not meant in a good way. So I suppose it must be true. I guess I will reserve the Penzance for days I will not be wanting to get kissed.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
My guess is it's that oriental leaf sticking around. That can become quite pungent.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
My wife says 1792 Flake is an aphrodisiac. The last few times I smoked it ended up well.
So yeah, I win. :D

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
HA! After all the hype about how great the stuff is, the scandals and endless gushing threads, it leaves you with turd-tongue? I'll scratch it off my list of "to try tobacco". I'd rather kiss my woman. :rofl:

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
HA! After all the hype about how great the stuff is, the scandals and endless gushing threads, it leaves you with turd-tongue? I'll scratch it off my list of "to try tobacco". I'd rather kiss my woman.
That's actually what surprised me. I haven't smoked it yet, but my understanding is that Penzance is essentially just an oriental / Balkan blend? I know it's supposed to be a really good one, but I'm surprised that orientals and a bit of latakia are so offensive. Surely this would be true of many blends?

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
If you think Penzance sticks around on your breath, try Lancers Slices!

Dec 28, 2015
That's actually what surprised me. I haven't smoked it yet, but my understanding is that Penzance is essentially just an oriental / Balkan blend? I know it's supposed to be a really good one, but I'm surprised that orientals and a bit of latakia are so offensive. Surely this would be true of many blends?
I have only smoked one bowl of it so far and although it is really subtly different than anything I have smoked before it seems to be essentially just a Balkan blend. And when I am not smoking Va or VaPer flakes I am generally smoking Balkans. But that was the most bizarre thing, I could not tell I had any trace of an aftertaste or anything offensive until the reaction to the kiss. It's like some sort of stealth turd bomb just waiting to unleash itself. A very unfortunate side effect to what is as far as I can tell a truly wonderful and unique smoking blend. They should put some sort of warning on the label.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I popped open a tin last night. Smoked about half a bowl. I didnt think I had tried it before, but the flavor was very familiar. If I have not had it, I had something very similar. Wonderful stuff.
I brushed my teeth afterwards before retiring to bed. I could still smell it and taste it all night and the next morning. It's a marvelous aroma, and a savory taste. I cna even taste it right now, and I had a smoke on the way into work. I cna taste it after a sandwish, doritos and bean dip, and pepsi. It's a great smoke.

Dec 28, 2015
HA! After all the hype about how great the stuff is, the scandals and endless gushing threads, it leaves you with turd-tongue? I'll scratch it off my list of "to try tobacco". I'd rather kiss my woman. :rofl:
Just realized another thing l love about luxury navy flake......no turd tongue!
But I have to say except for that one drawback the Penzance was a mighty fine smoke.

Mar 1, 2014
I love the lingering aftertaste of a good Lat blend, it's like keeping a slice of ripe cheese in your mouth. Definitely noticeable for up to 24 hours after the bowl.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Being single, I have not had anyone mention "turd tongue". From my side of the face, the aroma of the smoky flavor lingers in my moustache and beard, and is heavenly. However, I can't experience it from the other side of the mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.