PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
Sure has a nice smell, and a sweet plum taste.
Has a one ever tried smoking it?
I've read that's how they used to get down. Multi-purpose tobacco
Just curious....

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Haven't tried that one, but I do chew Black XX Twist, and smoke Futurity Twist.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
Interesting. It's funny how Americanized chewing tobacco fell into the mainstream and got away from there roots.

I never understood it. Plug and twist tobacco stores better than say Copenhagen in a fiberboard can, or a plastic can for that matter.

They seen the old timers walking around with their fancy tins of Pipe Tobacco, so they designed a smaller can for chewing tobacco, grinded it up to a fine cut, closely relating itself to old fashioned snuff. When all you had to do was buy you a Plug, or twist, and have chewing and smoking tobacco, in one easy to carry pouch.
This is my own gathering. I would be interested to talk to someone who is knowledgable in this subject matter.

May 4, 2015
Probably partly because with a finer grind like dip, which is then cooked and highly processed, you can use a much more inferior leaf? Much like production cigarettes. Purely conjecture, obviously.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I understanding is that this is what how they primarly used pipe tobacco long ago,can't stop wondering how variable and comprehensive Gawith and Hoggard &Kendal rope and plug offerings are, perhaps this is partly due to sailing tradition of Old British Imperium,although I'm not thinking starting sampling these type of tobaccos, so am faint hearthed,I know,all these plug&ropes come with load of nicotine+need some practicing to get em burn evenly.been twice struggling with these and so far it was sufficient for me,until the new order.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
Right there with you Tom. It's funny how cigarette and dip companies don't boost about their blends. With dip you get a 85/15 or a 60/40 domestic/import.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I chewed cannonball when I was younger. It had a kick. That was another dense plug that was spicier but I cannot remember the name. Is cannonball still around?

Dec 28, 2015
^ the other two I remember from when i was young are Bloodhound and Days Work. Maybe one of those are what you are remembering doc. Seems like blood hound was pretty spicy.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Days Work is still kicking around. I don't think I have ever come across a 'spicy' chewing tobacco, fruit flavored like Jackson's Apple Jack I have run into but never a 'spicy' one!

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
Aquadoc:
I hadn't seen it for years myself. Also wasn't aware it was made by The American Snuff Co.
I'm thinking they picked up the name. It's now a 15% domestic, 85% import.
Thought it was 100% domestic back in the day.
I'm digging the input guys.
I may slice a flake off this plug and let it dry a bit. I have a new cob I will try it in. So if it's a bust, I won't be messing up my seasoned cobs.
I will post results.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
I'm not looking toward to this.... But curious rather..... It's super sticky. I'm not sure if the molasses is going to let it get as dry as it needs to be for piping. May have to break out the dehumidifier.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sounds delicious.
In my experience, sliced chew plug is some of the best tobacco around.
They don't try to make it into a Lexus, you see? You just get the Toyota but you have to set it on fire yourself.

May 4, 2015
Oh, it's the molasses-cased style of chew? That's going to be like trying to light Red Man on fire. I suspect no matter how much you think you've dried it, it's not going to burn properly and you're going to brulee your mouth.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You probably cannot smoke the stuff due to the high sugar content and the fact that your would wind up with a caramel flavored tobacco experience. I know that Levi Garret takes forever to dry out and is in some way related to Captain Monochromatic since the stuff hangs around forever in jacket pockets without ever spoiling. I know that Cotton Ball Twist is smokable and a few of the others that are not to heavily flavored can be smoked with a little perseverance and by retro fitting your pipe with a pilot lite!

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I had a plug drying in an Altoid tin for over a year. It would light but the taste was less than I was hoping for.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
used to have a tobacco shop that had big jars, like for pipe baccy, of chaw. The peach and mint were both divine.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The 4 I remember are Cannonball, Bloodhound, Bull of the Woods, Days Work... And of course, non plug Beechwood, Redman, Taylor's Pride, Levi Garrett,

Status
Not open for further replies.