Canning Instead Of Jarring

(30 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by anthonyrosenthal74
  • Latest reply from glassjapan
  1. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Has anyone here ever tried canning their bulk tobacco as opposed to jarring? I've been considering the possible benefits of using cans instead of glass jars for durability and stack-ability. I've not done much research yet, but it seems the most affordable route for the home canner is a manual sealer such as this one from House of Cans.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting idea. Once sealed, can the can be opened and re-sealed to the same degree a jar is? I know that is thought to arrest any aging process, but just as a matter of accessibility. It sounds as if it might be better for storing and aging bulk tobaccos for example. More detail would be of interest if you take this further. Compare and contrast to screw on and latch-top jars, Mylar bags, etc.

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting...

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once sealed, can the can be opened and re-sealed to the same degree a jar is?
    No. It would be just like the tins your tinned tobacco comes in.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No. It would be just like the tins your tinned tobacco comes in.

Which tobacco comes in a can like that?

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Chef blendardee

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Which tobacco comes in a can like that?
    I believe you can buy lined cans, as well as pull top lids such as you'd find on a tobacco tin.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting idea. Is there any data out there on the leak rate (or whatever the correct term would be ... atmosphere exchange?) of canning vs jarring? I could see a number of advantages if the integrity of the seal is good. Lighter. More durable. No sunlight exposure. Stackable. I'm guessing, cans are cheaper than jars. Keep updating if you actually proceed with this.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Well this is very interesting, I'm growing a few tobacco plants this year and this may be the solution for long term storage and to make sure I stay out of it and let it age. Looks like I have some googling to do.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For one, I prefer the taste of some blends getting left in the sun to stove slowly to black and sweet. I'm not even sure where the idea came from that they have to be in the dark.

Two, I would rather see whether any mold is forming. I have hundreds of tins of C&D blends aging that I am more afraid to open than any other blend.

But, it is a neat idea. I've know many people my whole life that can their own foods, and never have I heard of anybody actually using a can to can.

In the canning industry, the machines roll the cans into cylinders as a part of the canning process. I am curious as to where, and for what reason empty cans would be pre-made

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting idea. Is there any data out there on the leak rate (or whatever the correct term would be ... atmosphere exchange?) of canning vs jarring? I could see a number of advantages if the integrity of the seal is good. Lighter. More durable. No sunlight exposure. Stackable. I'm guessing, cans are cheaper than jars. Keep updating if you actually proceed with this.
    Which is why I posted the thread. I'm hoping that someone here does this, or has done this, and I'm curious about the results. I'd like to try it myself, but I don't want to blow 300+ dollars on the least expensive can sealer on that site if I can't get the same results I would from a purchasing a tin of tobacco online. It would be nice to do away with jars for bulk blends (with the exception of a few for opened tins) for the durability and stacking of tins.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Found a video on Youtube of someone using a similar sealer with pull top cans. Looks easy enough....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJVFk6Xo1ts

Takes a few seconds and your done.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

Interesting. My only concern is if the can would rust from contact with the moist tobacco. Maybe there is a way to put the tobacco in a plastic bag then into the tin. Just random thoughts

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe I'd do it using small "McClelland-style" aluminium cans with the internal food coating, but jars are durable & stackable already. 4oz Kerr jelly jars don't like to be stacked, so I just keep the boxes that they're packaged in, slice an "X" in the shrink-wrap, & store & stack them in those. Plus jars can be checked for mold more easily by looking through the glass. Also, that's a big buy-in just to get to the canning machine. You'd be hard-pressed to convince me to go with canning from the start, let alone switch over.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great solution for a problem that doesn't exist in my house. Please post results if you go that route.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[/quote]Interesting. My only concern is if the can would rust from contact with the moist tobacco. Maybe there is a way to put the tobacco in a plastic bag then into the tin. Just random thoughts[quote]

You can buy lined cans.

https://www.aaronpackaging.com/metal-food-cans-cn307x111bpa

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

" Material : Metal " = Dollars to doughnuts those aren't aluminium.
    If you're going to do it, why do it & then worry about rusty pinholes?

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm interesting subject and now that I think of it, I’m surprised this hasn’t caught on already in the pipe community. You may just be the pioneer, Anthony. I doubt I’ll change what I’m doing now as for the most part I consider my cellar to be complete but if I was just starting out I’d give this method some serious thought.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

" Material : Metal " = Dollars to doughnuts those aren't aluminium.
    Ok I posted that as an example that you can find tins and cans that are lined, BPA free even, just like tins that are used by many of our favorite tobacco manufacturers. They get their tins from somewhere too. I doubt they have a can making machine of their own.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

So I have ran across these in my googling. They are hand sealable pull ring cans that come in different sizes. However in the description it says not recommended for tobacco, pressurized, or liquid products. Seems some people are using them for the ol' Mary Jane. I sent an email to the manufacturer and asked why not tobacco and asked if they had a similar product for tobacco use. Will update if they respond.

Hand Sealable Tuna Tin

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

The whole idea of selling bulk tobacco is to spare the customer the expense of canning. Instead of taking on that expense at home, it makes more sense to just buy the canned product in the first place. (You'll also be getting mold "insurance" of a sort, and effortless labeling.)

Jars, of course, do a fine job and they're reuseable; but even so, buying tins is sometimes cheaper than investing in jars that will be dedicated to long term storage.

BUT, this is a hobby, and I get it that we all like to play with this stuff.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 months ago #
  22. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The whole idea of selling bulk tobacco is to spare the customer the expense of canning. Instead of taking on that expense at home, it makes more sense to just buy the canned product in the first place. (You'll also be getting mold "insurance" of a sort, and effortless labeling.)

Jars, of course, do a fine job and they're reuseable.

Some blends only come tinned, and some blends only come in bulk. My main reasoning behind this is for buying bulk blends that do not come tinned, at which point they're likely going to get thrown in a jar possibly to age in the cellar. It's easier to stack tins than it is jars, if space is an issue, and they're far less likely to break if dropped or knocked over, or perhaps transported during a move. So why not tin them (if we could) instead of putting them in a jar? So I'm hoping someone may have done this who could chime in with their results.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Ya, I can see that for bulk-only blends, and the jar handling issues too.
    So, my math says that if you can do this for less than $0.75 /can -- bottom line -- it should be a go.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't overlook the substantial capital cost- over $300, as well as time and energy to set up a canning operation each time you receive a bulk order.

Still, an interesting idea.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Back in the day the Bufflehead shop would tin McClelland blends for you. I have a few tins of the old Bufflehead blends McC made for them. Decoy was a favorite of mine, a variation of 2015.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. I don't care as long as it tastes great.

I smoke a pipe because I love the experience and the flavor and the relaxing aspects of the process.

I really could care less about whether some rust on the tin is present. Savor the flavor and the aged leaf.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Back in the day the Bufflehead shop would tin McClelland blends for you.

When Murray closed and Dunhill left the US market I thought about tinning my bulk Dunhill mixtures like Bufflehead but I found a sealer and cans were too expensive.I should look into it again figuring in that same aged bulk Dunhill and aged McClelland.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Just a real quick, back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that you can be cost-competitive with glass jarring at about the 50 lbs. volume level. I can't imagine there are too many pipe smokers who would want that much of the typical bulk-only blends being sold, but co-ops and pipe clubs might take an interest. And in a hobby, who needs to completely amortize overhead costs anyway?

I think Anthony may have started something here.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see a downside inasmuch as once one buys the canning device, then one is obliged to buy their blank cans and lids which I'll bet are sized to fit that machine and that machine only.

Otherwise it's an idea that does have potential, particularly to the tobacco growers on the forum.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. glassjapan

glassjapan

Login to Send PM

I would take a look at mylar over canning. I've been using 7 mil mylar bags to store tobacco. Wished I had been using them all along. I wont be using jars anymore for long term storage.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pitchfork, 3rdguy, burleyboy