Pipes Magazine » Tobacco Legislation

Tags:   

Canadian Duty Taxes of Mail Orders

(111 posts)
  1. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is a province wide breakdown of taxes on tobacco, so you can know what to expect is a fair assessment when you are paying duty and taxes on your shipment of tobacco. Just go down to the chart in the link. Duty is federal, some provinces you also pay HST as well as a per gram fee of loose tobacco.
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn13-008-eng.html

Here is Duty which applies to all of Canada

Economic Action Plan 2013 eliminates the preferential excise duty rate that currently applies to manufactured tobacco (e.g., fine-cut tobacco used in roll-your-own cigarettes, chewing tobacco) to make it equivalent to that applying to other tobacco products. This measure will increase the rate of excise duty on manufactured tobacco from $2.8925 to $5.3125 per 50 grams or fraction thereof, effective after Budget Day.

http://actionplan.gc.ca/en/initiative/excise-duty-tobacco-products

Therefore the duty will be 5.3125 per 50 grams of tobacco, and then the provincial fees will be on top of that.

Hopefully this will clear up peoples questions about what duty and taxes are on Canadian tobacco. There is NO ALLOWABLE LIMIT of tobacco that can cross the border duty free unless you have physically been outside of Canadian borders for 48 hours.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sadly, this is already out of date (current only to March 27, 2013). The 2014 federal budget increased tobacco taxes yet again. Current federal rate is $6.57188 per 50g or portion thereof as a result of the 2014 federal budget. I would not be surprised if some of the provincial numbers have shifted for the worse as well.

It also ignores sales taxes, which of course is on the purchase price (translated to Cdn$) AND is also applied to the tobacco taxes as well.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02/11/federal-budget-unveils-major-tax-hike-for-smokers-that-will-see-jump-in-cost-of-cigarettes-tobacco-and-cigars/
    My goodness the government websites can't even keep up with the tax hikes, and it's going to increase every 5 years. If you go to your provincial website it will give you current tax rates, mine jumped 5 cents/GM from the chart

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. kanada

kanada

Login to Send PM

$10-15(for a tin) + $15(alberta tax) + $6.5(federal)=$32-37/tin...that hurts.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

I'm already paying $30~ a tin anyway. Just have to make a roadtrip or two each year from now on I guess. Funny how they use the reasoning behind this is to generate millions in taxes, yet they want people to quit using tobacco products. How will they generate their millions of dollars if everyone quit?

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

micdabutcher

Login to Send PM

Try living in Australia. $50+ aud for 50gm

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's still way cheaper for me to order online, for 10 tins of escudo and 8 oz of bright cr flake it cost me about 380$ in duty, but where I live it would cost me about 45$ a tin and then gst/pst on top of that, so over 500$ for 10 tins alone, so I still got it cheaper plus 8 ounces of tobacco on top of it. I'm an unrepentant capitalist, if my local B&M goes out of business it's the governments fault for putting such ridiculous tax grabs on tobacco. As it's been stated before, if you keep your orders small, like 2 tins, customs doesn't find it worth the time to bother inspecting it or doing the paperwork. I know people who get small orders that state tobacco on the package but don't get charged duty. Of course don't count on this as a guarantee that it will happen to you so be prepared to pay the duty and taxes, and if you're lucky enough to not get assessed, don't be advertising it on the internet.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. kanada

kanada

Login to Send PM

put in a 200g order, we'll see how it goes in the next few weeks

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. kanada

kanada

Login to Send PM

got the order yesterday, was assessed $120 in duty and other taxes...worked out to $45/tin. About what you pay here anyways

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ouch man....holy hell...

Warren
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Wow, kanada...that really stinks...blood sucking turdbags!

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

marpipe

Login to Send PM

What was the wording on the package's custom declaration? Who did you order from?

Did you pay it or tell them to dump it?

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. purplemotoman

purplemotoman

Login to Send PM

I am hoping you paid it. If we refuse packages then we will no longer have any suppliers from the U.S. wanting to do business across the border.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's still way cheaper for me to order online, for 10 tins of escudo and 8 oz of bright cr flake it cost me about 380$ in duty, but where I live it would cost me about 45$ a tin and then gst/pst on top of that, so over 500$ for 10 tins alone, so I still got it cheaper plus 8 ounces of tobacco on top of it. I'm an unrepentant capitalist, if my local B&M goes out of business it's the governments fault for putting such ridiculous tax grabs on tobacco. As it's been stated before, if you keep your orders small, like 2 tins, customs doesn't find it worth the time to bother inspecting it or doing the paperwork. I know people who get small orders that state tobacco on the package but don't get charged duty. Of course don't count on this as a guarantee that it will happen to you so be prepared to pay the duty and taxes, and if you're lucky enough to not get assessed, don't be advertising it on the internet.

or all the smokers willing to take the chance of breaking the law and not getting caught?

if I was a dealer in the US willing to ship to Canada it would be made perfectly clear you own the tobacco and no refund if you don't want to pay the duties if you get busted.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In an attempt to help out a fellow forum member (Canadian)try a flake before buying it, I volunteered to send him a few flakes of the blend that I just happened to have open. I put them in a small zip lock bag and mailed it in an envelope. This was probably $2 worth of tobacco.
    The carrier that picks up my deliveries every morning took them and processed them UPS. He called me from the (wherever it is they process the packages) and asked me what the contents were, as it obviously wasn't jewelry or stones. I told him it was samples of tobacco. It cost me $20+. Then I got a call from the Canadian UPS, and they wanted $20 more dollars. I figured that this was taxes or something. So, I paid it. Then the forum member was hit up for an additional $100+. He wrote me to ask me if it was worth it. I said "NO."

Then yesterday, UPS asked me if I wanted the package back, if so it was going to be $30 more. I creatively suggested to them where they could put that package.

This was two flakes in an envelope. I paid almost $50 and if we had of paid all of the money that they wanted, it would have made two flakes of Klondike Gold cost almost $180.

I figured the whole thing to just be an expensive learning experience. But, why do people want to live up there in the ice and cold anyways?

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. purplemotoman

purplemotoman

Login to Send PM

cosmic..UPS is absolutely nuts up here. Packages don't get delivered, packages are super late and extra charges are mainstream with them.It sucks that you didn't get your stuff back.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I figured I paid that much to get the privilege of telling UPS where to stick two flake. Fold and stuff, right? Ha ha!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. purplemotoman

purplemotoman

Login to Send PM

I have not been hit yet at the border but when I do, if you add up all my purchases, it will still be way way cheaper than buying from my local.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. purplemotoman

purplemotoman

Login to Send PM

Exactly. Fold and stuff.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That stinks Cosmic. Never, ever send tobacco across the border via UPS. Put the two flakes in a mailing envelope, put a standard stamp on it, and be done with it. I don't know who the forum member in question is, but if they still want to try some KG let me know and I will send them some.

or all the smokers willing to take the chance of breaking the law and not getting caught?

You aren't breaking any law by ordering tobacco online. I agree though, if you get assessed for duty you should pay the bill.

if I was a dealer in the US willing to ship to Canada it would be made perfectly clear you own the tobacco and no refund if you don't want to pay the duties if you get busted.

All the ones I know of who ship to Canada make it clear that duties are your responsibility alone.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrcloud

Login to Send PM

Thinking about buying seeds and lifting a single finger for the government. I too am Canadian and am used to bending over for them to stick it to me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. bigjoe

bigjoe

Login to Send PM

I just recently decided to try out pipes. To try out a variety of tobaccos without spending a small fortune at the local B&M I mail ordered to Canada. No extra charges on 3-4 clearly labeled tins, either way it would have been no worse than the local shop.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You aren't breaking any law by ordering tobacco online. I agree though, if you get assessed for duty you should pay the bill.

no one said it was illegal to order online.. the comment that the reason your B&Ms would close was because of the taxes. but, in ordering online you are taking business from your locals since a high percentage of tobacco makes it though customs without a problem.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of the video rental stores in my city closed too, it's because I download movies and see them faster then when they're released officially on DVD. I can download a movie quicker than it would take me to walk to a video store. There's only 2 real B&M's in my city that I know of with over 800,000 people, the thing that keeps them going is cigars. I also haven't bought a cd in over 8 years.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also companies will still ship to Canada, the worst that will happen is they'll require you to pay the duty and taxes up front and then email them a copy of the form that declares you've paid duty, alot of cigar websites are doing this now that ship to Canada.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. kanada

kanada

Login to Send PM

I did go and pay for the packagem, since it worked out no more than what I would pay here. I'm trying different retailers to see what does or doesn't work in terms of duty. I order with expectation of having to pay the duty, and if I don't then it's a bonus.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

marpipe

Login to Send PM

What province Kanada? Here in BC the duty jacks up the price of 8oz to $140, $40 MORE than what it costs locally.

If you refuse to pay duty on the package, I believe it just gets destroyed, not returned to the sender.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Here in BC the duty jacks up the price of 8oz to $140, $40 MORE than what it costs locally.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you refuse to pay duty on the package, I believe it just gets destroyed, not returned to the sender.

It does get returned to the sender, not destroyed. And because of people returning packages companies like Pipes&Cigars will no longer ship to Canada.
    Do not order tobacco from the States unless you are willing to pay duty. It is that easy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Neil

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. jdto

jdto

Login to Send PM

And because of people returning packages companies like Pipes&Cigars will no longer ship to Canada.

P&C was bought by Cigars International, who only ship in the US (despite having "international" in their name). P&C's shipping policies thus became those of their owners. I doubt they'd stop shipping to Canada over an occasional refused package.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@jdto I'll look for the reference later, but if I'm remembering correctly, the halt of sales to Canada by P&C post the CI purchase has been explicitly explained by P&C staff as a result of defaults on purchases by Canadians refusing packages resulting in excess company costs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. jdto

jdto

Login to Send PM

Oh wow, that's crazy--I stand corrected. Thanks for that, Pat. Will we see you on the 6th?

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Umm, I know first hand that the sender has to pay to get the package returned, at least with UPS and FedEx. They called me and wanted more than the initial cost to send the package to get the couple of flakes (mentioned above) returned to me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh wow, that's crazy--I stand corrected. Thanks for that, Pat. Will we see you on the 6th?

This totally depends on when our baby arrives.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. purplemotoman

purplemotoman

Login to Send PM

Well you just tell that baby to hang on until after the 6th.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. jdto

jdto

Login to Send PM

This totally depends on when our baby arrives.

I guess that's understandable

I'm looking forward to the event. It should be a good time.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. 4noggins

4noggins

Login to Send PM

cosmicfolklore, that must be only UPS and/or FedEx. With USPS packages there is no charge to either the sender or receiver. All one needs to do is ask to have the parcel returned to sender.

Also, P&C stopped shipping Internationally just after the buy out. It was the new owners policy that was adopted.

Rich
    4noggins.com

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. kanada

kanada

Login to Send PM

I had emailed P&C a couple months ago and got the answer that because they are a distributor for many companies they will not ship to Canada

Marpipe-I am in Alberta, the provincial tax for the tobacco was $18/tin which all in worked out to about $45/tin

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

dnsquare06

Login to Send PM

Hello all Canadian pipers,
    a question about bulk vs tin tobacco: does ordering bulk tobacco make the package more susceptible to be opened and taxed than ordering tin tobacco? or there's no difference?
    Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago #
  41. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've browsed around on the CBSA website and as far as I can tell neither is subject to more scrutiny than the other. The only reference I can see is weight in grams. No particular packaging is referred to. Not much but I hope that helps?

Posted 4 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

dnsquare06

Login to Send PM

Thanks jkrug,
    my first time ordering from the States (200 grams bulk) and CBSA has my package for 4 days now. Of course I am willing to pay all duties and taxes but just getting a bit anxious, on my last pack of cigarettes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  43. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pm sent your way dnsquare06.

Posted 4 years ago #
  44. bigjoe

bigjoe

Login to Send PM

Never use UPS, I've seen them try to charge $60 agency fee for $12 worth of light bulbs to cross the border, I really don't trust any of the couriers when USPS and Canada Post do just as good a job for a fraction of the price.

B&M prices here are around $40-45 for a 50g tin which is about the same as it is shipped with duty/taxes, except I've been lucky and never been charged duty...

@dnsquare06... I've had orders listed in customs while they were already sitting in my mail box!

Posted 4 years ago #
  45. cornleader

cornleader

Login to Send PM

I just got dinged at customs... sigh. I ordered 200 grams a few months ago no problem. This last order got hit. I bough 200 grams for about 35 bucks, (you yanks have nothing to complain about lol), locally would be about $120 here in socialist communist Canada. Customs hit me with $44 in taxes. so lets do the math... math is hard.

35 bucks for the baccy, (unbelievable!)
    16 shipping
    44 towards Harper's solid gold hammer and sickle

So 95$ I think? So I still saved 20-25 bucks. Still cheaper even with the shipping. I guess in my province it is an extra 11 bucks/50g. I think even if it was gifted I still pay 11$/50g. I am going to call customs tomorrow and ask them how it works. If that's the case I might start buying larger orders to cover the cost of shipping.

...and for the record, ALWAYS USE POST!!! Never use a courier for any type of purchase cross boarder. Talking from experience.

Posted 4 years ago #
  46. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I were you I would stick with 200g. Some will get dinged, but in my experience most will not. If you go larger, it is far more likely you will get hit with duty.

Posted 4 years ago #
  47. fmgee

fmgee

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have called customs a couple of times and try and figure it out. Every time I get a very different answer. It depends on all sorts of things like what province it crosses the border, where the tobacco was made, etc. I give them the same information and they give me very different ideas of what customs would be.

All I can say is that $44 extra for 200g is way lower than every quote I have gotten on the phone.

Posted 4 years ago #
  48. cornleader

cornleader

Login to Send PM

If I were you I would stick with 200g. Some will get dinged, but in my experience most will not. If you go larger, it is far more likely you will get hit with duty.
    Good point. I was thinking the same thing.

I have called customs a couple of times and try and figure it out. Every time I get a very different answer. It depends on all sorts of things like what province it crosses the border, where the tobacco was made, etc. I give them the same information and they give me very different ideas of what customs would be.
    ...that's because it's gouging. There is no concrete system. I had similar experiences importing into Canada. Music gear, electronics, electronic components. Try importing clothes into Canada! Good times there! The declaration form is an absolute mess. I ordered 2x50g tins and a 100g tin. They only hit me on 2 tins.

Even if I get hit on every order, It's still cheaper.

Posted 4 years ago #
  49. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys, never call customs. 96% of the time they will give you the wrong answer.

Posted 4 years ago #
  50. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't poke the bear ! 200g - 300g orders and I haven't been charged extra yet, knock on wood.

Posted 4 years ago #
  51. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy smokes! I thought tobacco in the States was expensive. I'm sure we're going to get there though, with all the "free" healthcare we're giving everyone now.

Posted 4 years ago #
  52. kanada

kanada

Login to Send PM

I've had duty applied to the tobacco which was $120 on 4 tins...i've also had "unopened duty" applied which was the GST and a handling charge based on the declaration. I've had my packages run the gamut of fees...

Posted 4 years ago #
  53. drezz01

drezz01

Login to Send PM

Cheaper and a much better selection (for most of us I would think). My local B&M only carries the peterson tobacco line and maybe a handful of others. I just had to go out and buy more mason jars because I have a quaint collection of over two dozen different blends now. I would love nothing more than to have an excellent B&M to support - even if I had to pay more for it (though I realize this is sort of a chicken-and-egg dilemma).

I can't really remember who was the first to say it on these forums, but the best strategy is to expect to pay customs every time. Budget for it and then it is a thrilling -I just got away with a bank robbery type- surprise when you don't get dinged.

All-in-all, besides the weather, we should be happy we aren't in Australia. A reddit user (I tried a reverse image search to give him proper credit but unfortunately couldn't find from whom I stole the image) was hit for $133.68 on a 200g order -- apparently this was his second time in two orders.

Posted 4 years ago #
  54. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keep in mind that as the importer / buyer, the responsibility is yours to pay any duty / customs charges that have been missed. So, if you receive a package of tobacco, and customs did not charge the required import fees, you are supposed to contact them and arrange for payment after the fact.

Posted 4 years ago #
  55. drezz01

drezz01

Login to Send PM

Eek, this is news to me! I'll be at home -- burning the evidence.

Posted 4 years ago #
  56. drezz01

drezz01

Login to Send PM

drezz01

I can't really remember who was the first to say it on these forums, but the best strategy is to expect to pay customs every time...

Well... I should have taken my own advice, but frankly, I couldn't have imagined this....

I've made several orders from american-based companies in the past and the rare time that I was hit with additional duty/taxes I took it as a fair tax against to savings that ordering online can offer.

I ordered from my favourite vendor (who shall not be named as I don't believe it is their fault -- though I've yet to check the parcel description, typically they have been fair and honest with their labeling, i've kept my orders to 200g and they have arrived with no issue) a 50g tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake, a 50g tin of Dunhill Flake and, the component I was most looking forward to, 2 - 50g tins of Wessex Campaign Dark Flake; a 200g order like all the rest. The Wessex was priced well so the whole order cost $55 USD or ~$70 CAD. A steal for what would usually cost ~$110-120 CAD IF EVEN i had access to such blends here in Saskatchewan.

Well, unfortunately I'll have to mark this parcel Return To Sender and take the $70 on the chin: an idiot tax if you will. It's painful, I was waiting for this order with bated breath -- and it's sooooo close to being in my possession. Why am I sending it back then? See the duties owing (on $70CAD worth of 200g of tobacco) below.

Posted 4 years ago #
  57. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's got to be a mistake, duties and taxes can't be that high. I got hit with one for $82.00, that's inline with what it would cost in the store. At the border I declared two tins and was charged $25.00. Border Guards/tax collectors said there are so many different rates most don't know what to charge. They agreed that the charges can't be more than you would pay at a store.

Posted 4 years ago #
  58. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Send it back to get reassessed. They made a mistake when calculating you duty. Davet's price above is more in line with what you should be paying.

Posted 4 years ago #
  59. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, have it reassessed. There has to be an error somewhere along the way. I just declared 450 grams when coming through the border into Windsor and only had to pay $63 cad. Has to be an error!

Posted 4 years ago #
  60. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's based on declared value, duty 6.57 percent, GST/PST & provincial tobacco tax. Neil's right, just get it reassessed.

Posted 4 years ago #
  61. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah that's way too much. I was hit with about that amount on 10 tins of escudo plus half a pound of bulk. That's 728 grams vs. 200 grams.

Posted 4 years ago #
  62. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Drezz that's a shock. In Alberta the combined (provinvial and federal) taxes are approx a little less than $25 a tin. I googled "alberta tobacco tax" a while back and was able to find the applicable provincial taxes for all types of tobacco. You could try that for Sask to get an idea what the tax on your order should be.

Posted 4 years ago #
  63. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WTF??

http://www.immigroup.com/news/canadians-guide-bringing-cigarettes-and-tobacco-back-across-us-border

SHIPPING TOBACCO TO YOURSELF
    Unlike alcohol, which postal services refuse to carry, you can mail tobacco to yourself or order products from online retailers without much hassle. Your personal exemption for tobacco products — 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, or 200 grams of pipe tobacco — applies to the mail. Anecdotal evidence from pipe tobacco enthusiasts suggests that about four tins of tobacco won't exceed the personal exemption, and that orders of larger amounts from certain shippers in the US will escape the notice of customs officials.

- See more at: http://www.immigroup.com/news/canadians-guide-bringing-cigarettes-and-tobacco-back-across-us-border#sthash.URS6zCyZ.dpuf

Posted 4 years ago #
  64. drezz01

drezz01

Login to Send PM

Thanks Gents, I don't mind paying up to and slightly over the price of tobacco here for blends I actually want but this was just scary -- like I had committed a crime importing it or something. I have just dealt with the gov't over the course of 6 weeks over back taxes (stemming from a supposed "Graduate Retention" program) and am tired of the bureaucracy so I was willing to eat the $70 and let this one go.

I had looked up the taxes and it was (I believe) 6-something per 25g, or what worked out to be $50 -- totally acceptable, even Davet's price of $82 would have sat -- but 5X the declared value? Yikes.

Frankly I was wondering if they had connected the dots and were charging me taxes on all of the parcels that hadn't been caught.

SK Gov says as of March 21st 2013, tax is 6.25/25g of tobacco. I'm not sure how one calculates duties however and the Canadian Border Services Agencyform is fairly nebulous as to how I would explain that they incorrectly assessed the product.

Frankly, dealing with the gov't gives me the heebies -- but I will go see the post office tomorrow and start the reassessment process - hopefully one of our fine men or women on the border had a long shift and there maths failed them.

Posted 4 years ago #
  65. drezz01

drezz01

Login to Send PM

Andy,

That 200g limit is anecdotal but typically has been my experience. However tobacco isn't exempt; to me in regards to the situation above from the CBSA:

Please be advised that Canadian residents do not qualify for an exemption when importing tobacco products into Canada by mail or courier. In order to qualify for a personal exemption on tobacco products a Canadian resident must be absent from Canada for 48 hours or longer and the tobacco products must be in their possession at the time of re-entry.

That said, they did not go in to specifics about this case in particular as it is provincial in nature. They gave me a number to contact but they close at 4pm so I have yet to contact them.

Posted 4 years ago #
  66. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully you can enjoy your baccy without too much delay or hassle. Good luck! I'd be curious to know how it pans out.

Posted 4 years ago #
  67. drezz01

drezz01

Login to Send PM

I'll certainly let you all know -- frankly I was just happy to find out that I had the option to 'return to sender' without having the men in black come after me or ding my credit for the 300-bucks owing!!

Best case scenario - I end up paying ~80 bucks extra (happy to do it) and have some slightly (hopefully only slightly) more aged tobacco to enjoy.

Posted 4 years ago #
  68. drezz01

drezz01

Login to Send PM

and in case you are interested - here is the full and comprehensive email. They certainly covered their bases and gave me an adequate response - even if it didn't come with a resolution...

Please be advised that Canadian residents do not qualify for an exemption when importing tobacco products into Canada by mail or courier. In order to qualify for a personal exemption on tobacco products a Canadian resident must be absent from Canada for 48 hours or longer and the tobacco products must be in their possession at the time of re-entry. Further information on the conditions applied to personal exemptions is available in the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) I Declare publication:
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#s2x12
    (Please note that although the I Declare publication has been archived, the information is still relevant)

Information on the excise duty and other fees as well as provincial and territorial limits related to the non-commercial importation of tobacco is accessible from the "Publications" section of the CBSA Web site at:

Memorandum D2-3-6
    Non-commercial Provincial Tax Collection Programs
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-3-6-eng.html
    (Click on the PDF document and scroll down to the "Appendix A" heading on page 5.)

As you may have noticed upon opening the link, each province and territory is responsible for establishing their own taxation rates for tobacco products. Due to this fact we are unable to reply to your e-mail in a more precise manner. When you open Memorandum D2-3-6, you will find Appendix A as having the tobacco taxation rates listed by province. To identify the duties and taxes payable, you would locate the province where you will be entering Canada and calculate the rates for that province.

In addition, the Excise Act 2001 limits the amount of tobacco products that can be imported (or possessed) by an individual for personal use to five units if the product is not packaged and stamped “CANADA DUTY PAID ● DROIT ACQUITTÉ”. One unit of tobacco products consists of either: 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams of manufactured tobacco, or 200 tobacco sticks. The Excise Act 2001 can be found at:
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/E-14.1/index.html

For goods imported by mail you can refuse the payment and the parcel, and advise Canada Post to return the parcel to the sender in the country of export. If you want to return goods to the sender before you pay the duties and taxes, check the "Return to Sender" box on Form E14, CBSA Postal Import Form and sign the "Customer's Signature" box. Canada Post will then return the mail item to the sender.

For goods imported by courier, we encourage clients to discuss their shipment and return options directly with the courier company.

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, including estimated fee calculations for your tobacco importation, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” at any time after you have made a selection of either English or French.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

Posted 4 years ago #
  69. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The young fella at the border had a heck of a time trying to figure it out and ended up calling another agent over to help.He did suggest that I keep the receipt in the truck for the next time I cross with tobacco to save them the trouble of searching for the proper rates.

Posted 4 years ago #
  70. kanada

kanada

Login to Send PM

If you have to go to the post office you could always look at the customs receipt and see what other charges there may be in terms of inspection

Posted 4 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, lightxmyfire, hoosierpipeguy, warren, prairiedruid, bryans, redglow, lawayna, alan73, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75, weezell