PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An ad for a history book said there have been twelve major U.S. wars. I think I listed them

right off in order. No quickie invasions, just the twelve major ones. Give it a try.
(Okay, this isn't pipe related, but it's non-controversial, I would think.)
Yipes, I've topped 4K in posts. I'd better "get a life."

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Revolution

Mexican

Civil

Indian wars

Spanish American

Mexico

Ww1

Ww2

Korea

Vietnam

Terror/Afghanistan

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Alternatively you ought include the Seminole war and leave out Pershing's

Mexican incursion.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
You might also think of the French and Indian War but there wasn't a US then.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
American Civil War, Revolutionary war, War of 1812, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Desert Storm, Afghanistan, Mexican American War aaaand the opium wars.
Not bad for a foreigner.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I remember my history, The Seminole Wars (there were three) were only "officially" over because the US said they were. No treaty or surrender, Osceola died, many survivors were offered cash to move to Oklahoma, but many more simply faded into the swamps and continued the fight until the US lost interest and the "Snow Birds" started flocking to the warmth of Florida. :)
That history book was probably written by the same ignoramus who, in the teasers for "Red Dawn" stated that no US territory had ever been invaded, obviously forgetting the War of 1812 and the Japanese invasion of Territory of Alaska. I suppose if you consider Villa a revolutionary rather than a bandit you could throw in his incursions into the mix.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the Indian wars were sporadic enough that they might or might not be counted as major wars,

unless you were in them, in which case they were. But the wars in which the U.S. was formally engaged,

if we count the Revolutionary War (which is pre-U.S.):

Revolutionary War; War of 1812; Mexican War (in which Robert E. Lee was a major hero); Civil War;

Spanish American War; World War I; World War II; Korean War; Vietnam War; Persian Gulf/Iraq War;

Afghanistan War (still going on); and the second Iraq War.
That's my list, but it's not authoritative, just my picks if I have to put down 12, despite the lack of

a United States during the Revolution.
The book that sets the limit at twelve is America At War by Terence T. Finn. If I can track down his list,

I'll share it. I saw the book advertised but haven't seen it to review. I think I have the order correct.

I'm not insisting on my list; that's just my best shot.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
The Major War everyone forgets is the Philippine–American War (1899–1902)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
mso: You hit the nail on the head! If they're shooting at you it's a major war.
Finn, I believe, defined a "major war" as one in which we fought another nation. So, the American Civil war, by his definition, would not qualify as a major war. Especially since the President did everything in his powers to not recognize the CSA as a nation. But, the Indian Wars should probably recognized, even if he doesn't, as the US treated with the various indian tribes or groupings as "nations."
But, Finn doesn't let these discrepancies get in the way with his presentation. So 12 is the number, even if he disregards his own parameters. His thinking does get a bit convoluted.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Philippine-American War was a sort of incursion and occupation. I'm not sure how much resistance the

Philippines was able to muster, but I haven't read much about it. I do know that Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

was horrified by the whole operation and considered it a brutality, and wrote bitterly about it, and not in any

humorous vein.
When you look at military actions that are not as well remembered, recorded, or as much a part of U.S. lore,

you get into some gray areas.
Little Big Horn was definitely a battle in a war in the history of the Lakota people.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If we were to adhere to the Constitutional definition of war, WW2 would be the most recent.
EDIT: But don't mind me...I'm just very old-fashioned. Carry on.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
The Major War everyone forgets is the Philippine–American War (1899–1902)
The war that was responsible for the development of the great Colt 1911 .45 ACP

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You should try and list all the non major wars the us has been involved in. Alot of people getting rich on killing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
brian64, interesting point, that the formal declaration of war has simply been evaded since

World War II. In each instance, there are explanations and political and diplomatic reasons,

but it is certainly an evasion of the intent of the Constitution. There must be a book or three

on the subject, but apparently not that well written, or too scholarly -- or at least, I don't know

what the book is. Good subject.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
MSO, there was never a war between the USA and Philippines. What you are referring to is our war with Spain when Admiral Dewy sank the Spanish fleet in Manila Harbor. The war with Spain was fought there and in Cuba. The war was started over the sinking of the Maine which we blamed on the Spaniards only to find out years later that the Maine sunk because her boilers blew. At that time, the Philippines were a Spanish colony.
There were some gunfights with Filipino revolutionaries after our occupation. Would hardly call it a war as it only involved a small group that opposed our occupation.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
interesting point, that the formal declaration of war has simply been evaded since

World War II. In each instance, there are explanations and political and diplomatic reasons,

but it is certainly an evasion of the intent of the Constitution.
Personally, I just consider it to be one of the many consequences of the “unwarranted influence” that President Eisenhower warned the country of in his farewell speech.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
When my family members were getting shot at in Korea and Vietnam, I think they would define "war" a little differently than Congress. Flying Lead = It Is On.
I'm just glad we had (and still have) those willing to take the risk and serve where needed (and sometimes not needed).

Status
Not open for further replies.