PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Hello, I have an old pipe with an underlined V on the plastic stem, on the wooden part of the stem is what appears to be Damman Melbourne and the other side is numbered 1199.
Could someone please help me identify the origin and age of this pipe please.
Thank you in advance.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
At first blush, I'd guess it's a pipe made either at or for the Damman Tobacco store In Melbourne, Austrailia. The only thing I could turn up on a brief search on the store was this:

Cat-a-corner (as the Americans say) to the Town Hall - i.e. opposite The Queen Victoria Building on one side and Manchester Unity on the other - was Damman's Tobacco Store, which had a lot of atmosphere.
You can see it in the postcards in Post #3 and Post #4.

As it seems you're from the area, perhaps the pics from the website quoted above might be of interest to you. Pics can be found HERE.
Hope this helps!
-Jason

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
toby67:
Below please find a link to "The Australian Tobacco Timeline" in the .pdf format. You will see that it appears that the Damman brothers' tobacconist business was established in Swanston Street in Melbourne in 1858. Your local library should be able to provide additional information concerning this business.
I hope that you find this background information to be useful.
The Austraian Tobacco Timeline

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia

Obviously a well used pipe and their is a small hairline crack where it joins to the stem on the side that says "THE VISCOUNT - MADE IN LONDON" not sure if the 1122 is a patent number or a serial number...
However is smokes very smoothly and is a small to medium bowl.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Trail on banding before any more use.
I couldn't find anything about "The Viscount" pipes. Parker made a pipe that has "Viscount" in the nomenclature, but it is completely different. That number doesn't correspond to anything in the Dunhill line that I could find, sorry!

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Searching Google and was getting nowhere then suddenly came across this newspaper article about the DAMMAN BROTHERS. Makes for some interesting reading for the Australian Tobacco history.

Status
Not open for further replies.