PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayda

Lurker
Jan 14, 2016
I have just got 2 pipes that have been in a box for the last 90 years from a shop that shut in 1930 in England. I was wondering how to get the grain prominent without sanding the bowl as it looks like a beautiful grain. But hard to see.

My main reason for asking this is I don't want to get rid of the scratches as it would seem to be a shame to rub out a part of history. And it adds character to the pipes.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

kayda

Lurker
Jan 14, 2016
Mike S

As you can see it's not been smoked so that part isn't anything to worry about or is it?

Thank you

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Kayda if you use Micro mesh pads, starting at around 800, you will be polishing the bowl and very slightly smoothing it. If you want to remove a little more finish or stain, just start with a lower number and work your way up.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Kayda, Amazon has them but they are very expensive. It seems us folks on the right side of the Atlantic get ripped off something awful compared to our American cousins. Shame but a fact.
That said, I cut my micromesh sheets into strips circa 12mm wide and they do last a while if used properly.
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I would just try cleaning with something like a Decatur pipe cleaning product, then re-wax. Just my 2 cents.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Micro Mesh sounds right. You could also polish with a jeweler's cloth, with slight abrasive cloth and a fluffier buffing cloth, or the abrasive fabric of a new bandana, for example, and following up with soft cotton, like t-shirt material. These gentle approaches will preserve the finish and history of the pipe and still work up a subtle shine, with a certain amount of invested energy (elbow grease). I prefer this approach to using polishes and electric buffers, for maintaining pipes in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.