Can you flavor pipe tobacco with grapes??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
With all of the fruits used to flavor pipe tobaccos, has anyone heard of using grapes?? (Other than something like wine or brandy.) I can't think of any myself, but I'm still pretty much a neophyte.
I ask because I have a wild grapevine that I've been cultivating for a few years, and it's getting ready to have a huge crop of small, tart, Concord-like grapes in a month or so. I'm also growing a nice selection of pipe tobaccos this year, and I was wondering what it would be like to flavor some of my cured tobacco with my wild grapes.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
You'll never know until you try. I think that you have a good opportunity to do so given with what you have mentioned. Let us know how it turns out. :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Speaking from personal experience...

I sometimes "spritz" a bowl or two with Christian Bros. Brandy.

I keep a 1 oz. spray bottle handy for just such a mood requirement.

:puffy:

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
@lawrence.

is is as simple as a spritz? Wouldn't this get the baccy too wet? more details please......
OP- Capt Bob, where r u? bump.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
If you did and it didn't turn out....would that be the "grapes of wrath"?.....sorry.. :rofl:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
is it as simple as a spritz? Wouldn't this get the baccy too wet? more details please......

My process is very simple.

I just put a bowl or two of 1Q on my 'rub-out' saucer.

Give it a spritz or two. I don't soak it.

Then I let it sit and dry out for 30 minutes to an hour. (Sometimes longer, depends on the relative humidity, I suppose.)

Stuff and puff.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Put your tobacco and grapes in a big barrel.

Then find some pretty girls to help you stomp them.

grgich%20grape%20stomp.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just make sure you save enough for the Cyclops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvW0Y8MCkBk

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
tpicking,
Yes, I am here and I have been paying attention. Basically, Cornell and Diehl's Captain Bob's Blend is a "Light Engish" style blend flavored with 80% (natural-friuit) grape for the aromatic sauce. The 20% remaining is a "Sangria Sauce" consisting of Orange, Vanilla, Caramel, Black Walnut and Maple. Overall, the "Latakia" tobacco element is only 1/16th. So, this is a very "light English" style blend with a predominant "grape" flavour.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

click on pic to enlarge:

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
BEWARE....I got kicked off of a Grayhound bus in South Carolina in 1954 for lighting up a pipe of

grape tobacco in 1954...It smelled and tasted like burning koolade. (I was young and ignorant.)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Try a smoky Balkan while drinking a nice Merlot or Burgundy. No flavour necessary, and as another member quoted, good and grapey!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Great Idea. But if it were to be fresh fruit product I would guess it be best to mist and smoke...I can't imagine it would age well. Punch the grape juice up with sugar and brandy and then you have something.
Now I'm going to HAVE to try Captain Bob's Blend.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
@Capt Bob, you've got me sold, ordering this weekend.....
@Lawrence I'l be trying the tonight...

My process is very simple.

I just put a bowl or two of 1Q on my 'rub-out' saucer.

Give it a spritz or two. I don't soak it.

Then I let it sit and dry out for 30 minutes to an hour. (Sometimes longer, depends on the relative humidity, I suppose.)

Stuff and puff.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
The professional sauces used by C&D are referred to as FTNF (from the natural fruit) extremely concentrated and very expensive ($100 per half gallon for some). CBB is flavored with a half ounce to the pound. Thus, while aromatic, it does not moisten the tobacco too much and is ready to smoke without drying.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
What ever happened to Captain Bob?... Well, I am still here, although generally reading and generally quiet...

I was informed that Cornell & Diehl's Captain Bob's Blend is doing well and Internationally, as well. Thanks for your support (even though I do not personally profit from my blend). That was my decision and a way of "giving back" to the pipe community. The "late" Craig Tarler and I had so much fun creating this light English Aromatic. It is my go-to tobacco (of course). It took us two and a half years to create and finalize this blend. It was one of my "lifetime great experiences". I shall never forget it and I am so grateful that we did it together. Luadisi is still reporting success with my blend and that is so satisfying that I actually did something that makes "some" pipe smokers happy. The reviews on http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3117/cornell-diehl-captain-bobs-blend have shown the success and I am flattered! Many memories shown below!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Brebbia also has a tinned tobacco flavored with apple brandy which is tasty. But that's apples.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
FYI... I am not paid to promote my blend. I do not receive royalties. Since Sykes Wilford took over C&D, I pay exactly what you have to pay. I am just thankful that Captain Bob's Blend made the "CUT" because I really like the Blend that the "late" Craig Tarler of C&D and I put together. It is a successful blend. Nothing else needs to be said. I realize that there are Forum Members that tire of my promotion of this Blend. I am a loyal ordering customer of my Blend from www.SmokingPipes.com and www.PipesandCigars.com. There are many wonderful aromatics out there. Mine is just one of many hundreds to choose from. I wish you all the most satisfying smoke of your life wherever it originates!

Status
Not open for further replies.