PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhclark

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
I suppose what I am familiar with, as far as aromatics, is "American" style (a la Captain Black & company) and of course they are gooey and wet and steamy and harsh when biting.
Do Dutch aromatics not have casings, only toppings? Or the other way around? Or it's more than just black cavendish? I don't think I've ever had one, and I can't tell what the term means (or if it's the kind of thing I should be hunting for)
For my tastes, I look for something with at least a tolerable room note, low-med N, and high in flavor. Most, if not all, aromatics I've tried have smelled quite nice when smoked indoors, but I am no longer allowed to smoke inside (kids... humph....). So would a Dutch Vanilla be more of what I'm looking for?

jhclark

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
so the dutch or danish aromatics are not more likely to taste how they smell, then? I want to smoke a pipe and have my mouth taste like I'm smoking a hookah ;) (sometimes... I'll keep my burleys and classic english, thanks :) )

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't think you can get too many Dutch aromatics here in the States, these days. Sail Green, maybe. Troost, Amphora, Flying Dutchman, are all no longer available here, afaik.

I see Stanwell makes FD,now, but the site I found it on was German. Flying Dutchman
MacBaren's Vanilla Creme has a strong vanilla taste.

jhclark

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
Funny, I saw a tin of that MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake at my close tobacconist, but got the Scottish Mixture instead because the vanilla flake was $18 (and the Mixture was 12) but I see online that it's only $6 at pipesandcigars? Also funny that I found a better tobacconist that's almost as close to home!
Next time I'm in, I'll see if they have any of that flake...

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Here is the back of an old tub of Amphora Blue. It doesn't give you a PhD. in Dutch aromatics, but it's more information than we get on tins now....
img0908vq.jpg

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Sucks that they don't import the Dutch aromatics in the states any more. I suppose there is a benefit or 2 to living in Nova Scotia ha ha. Amphora does indeed taste like it smells and is very high quality product. I would steer you towards the W.O. Larsen tobaccos. I'm thinking, in particular, of W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage Mixture. It is very high quality tobacco, lightly topped with a unique citrus, vanilla, caramel toffee aroma that makes me want to eat the stuff right out of the tin. It tastes very much how it smells and is a very satisfying tobacco.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
MacB Mixture (it's never referred to as "Scottish", btw, just as Mixture) is a very light aro. Both that and Vanilla Cream are available in flake or non-flake formats. I enjoy about a tin of Mixture per year.

jhclark

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks guys. The WO Larsen SVMixture actually sounds very appealing, I'll look into it.
The MB Mixture I think has far too much Virginia for my tastes, I doubt very much I'll ever finish this tin. $14 for 5 bowls would be expensive, though ;) I'll have to find a way to store it well now that it's open... As for non-aromatics (or "light aromatics") I think I'll have to start leaning toward burley based blends. My favorite OTC pouch was always PA or in a pinch, half & half, so I should just stop buying these VA blends (the Gold Rush I got a couple of years ago I ended up giving away).
I used to blend small batches myself, but I just found that all my jars didn't seal well, so it's all lost. And, of course, I never wrote down how much of what! At the time, I knew exactly what everything was.... C'est la vie! In the mean time, I'll hunt down some WO Larsens and a pinch of that Vanilla Cream. Tins are so expensive, though, if I don't find a club near me for sharing knowledge and a bowl here and there, I'll have to start blending again.
If that happens, I'll be sure to offer some recipes :) (unless they're REALLY good....hahahaha)

jhclark

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for that, I think I will jar it. it's been in rotation, but I'm only smoking it to refresh my pallet, and it's pricy for a sorbet...

Status
Not open for further replies.