PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timm2

Lurker
Aug 5, 2012
Can I just smoke a quarter of a bowl without any harm done to me (ie, getting burned do to not enough tobacco in pipe or tongue bite or anything else)?
Sometimes i want to just smoke for about 10-15 minutes and don't want to waste tobacco. I also don't want to fill the bowl - smoke what i can - then smoke it again later.
Also if i can do this, will i loose out on the quality of the smoke?
P.S. I'm A beginner and really need some advice.

Thanks All

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Why not just get a pipe with a small bowl chamber. That way you won't waste any tobacco. Even If you only partially smoke a pipe with any bowl size and smoke the rest later I see no reason why you would lose any taste/flavor of the tobacco.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I do this fairly regularly - with a toddler, an infant, and a business to take care of and a propensity to keep a pipe burning whenever possible means I often have to set my pipe down mid-bowl. In fact, if you peruse the forums, you will find this practice even has a name - the Delayed Gratification Technique (or DGT); and even benefits the flavour profile of some tobaccos; imparting a rich, earthy flavour akin to dark-firing.

My pipes don't seem to suffer for the practice, nor does my cake build-up seem uneven or soft - although I am fastidious to the point of being anal when it comes to the cleanliness of my bowels bowls.
Note: For the purposes of reviewing a blend, I do ensure that I have enough time to dedicate to the smoking of the entire bowl before I sit down - although I do undertake the DGT method with a minimum of two bowls in the process.

friday

Might Stick Around
Aug 23, 2012
Of course, with DGT, by definition, one would lie the pipe down part way through the smoke and return to it later and smoke the rest, right?
Yes

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Timm

I wouldn't do it long term, but I do occasionally only fill a bowl about halfway. Look around for cheap smaller bowl pipes. I got some nameless basket pipes for 10-15 minutes smokes. They work great.
I think I got a couple of these "Short Minis" that P&C sells: http://pipesandcigars.com/shorties.html

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
My cobs will take a quarter bowl with no reservations. Perhaps try one. They are under $10.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
My cobs will take a quarter bowl with no reservations. Perhaps try one. They are under $10. And if it develops an uneven cake, (heresy) toss it and get another! 8O

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Someone want to explain to me how smoking only 1/4 bowls in a pipe will harm it?
Briar is tough shit. I think you are underestimating its ability to handle your smokes. No matter the size.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
THIS might be perfect for you. These are little clay pipes and they smoke for a good 5 or 10 minutes. 15 minutes max. They provide a cool smoke (but the bowl gets hot so watch it). I ordered them awhile back and use them to test small amounts of tobaccos. I kept 2 and gifted 1. Only $16.99, too. Add it to your next TAD order and get the free shipping.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
+1 spartan
I don't see why smoking a 1/4 bowl will be detrimental. Actually, isn't it what we're supposed to do for break-in?

I now smoke 1/4 bowl (and completely) on my smoke breaks at work (and no harm to me).

In the beginning, I would start a full bowl (before work), smoke for 15-20 minutes, let it extinguish and smoke the rest at my morning break. I now think it was bad since the chamber didn't dry out and developed a bitter taste.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think the problem with smoking just 1/4 bowls is you will build a nice cake there, but the rest of the pipe will not get a good cake. Nothing wrong with that per se, but the quality of smoke if you decide to go the full bowl would probably not be as good.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
fill it up and smoke a 1/4 bowl and then set it aside to smoke another 1/4 later? i smoke a pipe in segments because i can almost never sit and smoke an entire bowl at a time.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I do have a small bowl I use for burleys. Another for Virginia flakes. One larger for aromatics and two beater pipes for what ever. I load as much as I think I will want and go at it. I do not see any harm that will come to the briar. You may just be smoking to fast and getting the bowl two hot? Also smoking a bowl and putting it down, even over night is cool in my book. As long as it still tastes OK smoke it. Do not let over thinking ruin the enjoyment.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I usually never just fill up a 1/4 bowl and smoke it, I'm the opposite, I use the last 1/4 to 1/8 as a 'filter" and toss the tobacco out.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I smoke half-filled pipes frequently without any problem. Cobs are usually low capacity pipes, clays and meers would work well too.

But here are some more "coffee break" sized pipes if you prefer briar: Iwan Ries

Status
Not open for further replies.