PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Does anyone know how to cut a hacksaw blade? I made a tool to put the grooves on a bulldog style pipe, but I need a small blade, about 1/2 inch long to intall in order to complete the tool. Any saw type blade will work, so other suggestions are welcome.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Put your hacksaw blade into a vise with about an inch sticking out from the jaws. Take a pair of pliers (visegrips will probably work best for you here) and grip the blade about 1/8" to 1/4" out from the vise jaws and bend it back and forth until metal fatigue saves your day.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Thanks, I made a flat piece from walnut and fixed a height adjustable piece at 90 degrees. And Mike I think you are correct about the thickness of a hacksaw blade, so I'll either try a coping sawblade or the washer idea. Thanks again.
I just thought, maybe the coping sawblade won't have enough reach, I'll probably try the washer idea.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Mike, what I made up looks like an adjustable scribe with a wing nut to control the depth of cut. The problem with the coping blade is the stummel shape curves faster than a standard bulldog, making the second groove a bit of a reach. A carbide cutter would be ideal as long is it doesn't cut a wide groove.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
With respect winton I don't know about the tin snips the hack saw blade is case hardened. Of course the crap coming out of china may not be as good as they used to be. I have used a metal cutting disk on a drememl tool before with success but you will need to clamp it tight to the bench cause it gets pretty hot. Going to try the aviation snips today though and report back since I have need for a small hack saw blade for the fire sticks I ordered.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
What you need is a gunstock checkering tool. They are about 1/4-1/2" long, come in different groove angles and are set up for handles.
Try this.....Google "checkering tools". Dembart is a big, traditional player but there are others.
or, if you want to cut a hacksaw blade use a high speed cutoff tool like a Dremel wheel.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
bolt cutters or tin snips will cut the blade. Grinder and zip disc would be my solution but thats just me.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Ok so experiment complete, I cut a home depot hacksaw blade in six peices six different ways.
1. Tin Snips.... cut through but bent the blade too much room between blades

2. Bolt Cutters.... Cut through no problem but hard to control although my bolt cutters are fairly long

3. Carbide Tip grinder blade..... just made a mess huge cut line lot of burn marks pain in butt

4. Bend and break method.... put the blade in a vise and bent the blade... suprise it didnt bend very far before it broke.

5. High speed wheel on a dremel tool... seemed to give a smooth cut line although discolored the blade cut quickly.

6. Machinest sheer blocks... basically duplicates the action of a sheer press by using a highdraulic pump in a press. Best method if you can afford the press. Clean cut line very precise and can nibble to a shape if need be

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ piperl12: I applaud your thoroughness. I figured it was only a matter of time before one of us manned up and headed out to the shop. I'm sticking with bolt cutters.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Guys lol @Mikephillips it just goes to show what lengths a married guy will go too to spend time in his shop with his pipe while trying to look busy! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.