Can anyone tell me anything about my estate pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebender

Lurker
Aug 16, 2015
Hello, new here and new to pipe smoking. I have only smoked a few times out of really poor Chinese corncobs and found this a few days ago at an antique store. I just finished cleaning a VERY thick cake layer out of the chamber and look forward to using it soon. Can anyone tell me anything about it? The only marking is "ITALY" on the shank near the mortise.
28he4wg.jpg

vzzcis.jpg

znvmsy.jpg

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I agree. Generic Italian pipe. But it looks nice and appears to be of decent quality and in great shape. So what if it isn't a name brand.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Just some simple advice. Get the strongest grain alcohol you can find. EverClear 190 proof is best. Douse a pipe cleaner in it and then run it through the shank and stem. Do this as many times as it takes with as many pipe cleaners as it takes until the cleaners start coming back out almost as white as they went in. You will be cleaning out the gunk built up in the air hole that would otherwise provide a very nasty taste as you smoke. Since you've already reamed out the pipe, you should be good to go.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I agree with sablebrush52. Any pipe that smokes well is a nice pipe. I like the look of the pipe also, I'd be very pleased if it were mine.

By the way I have a couple of the cheap Chinese cobs, they aren't the best thing.

I use em while kayak/camping and they do the job without fear of me dropping them in the Susquehanna River, so

actually they are a nice pipe for their purpose lol.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
As basket pipes go, that one scores pretty good in the looks department. A couple of my favorite smokers are actually Czech pearwood baskets that I have tweaked a little to perform the way I want them to. Sometimes you actually do get a lot of bang for your buck.

pipebender

Lurker
Aug 16, 2015
As basket pipes go, that one scores pretty good in the looks department.
I like it a lot. It was the best looking pipe out of the dozen or so the antique store had. There was also a Poul Hansen which I've heard are good pipes, just didn't much like the style.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Ha ha sablebrush I never heard of the Susquehanna Hat Company, it seems they aren't a good hat to wear if a safe falls on you.

I had to look it up, apparently its an Abbott and Costello routine?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice little pipe you have there and as others have mentioned even if it's an inexpensive pipe it's a good pipe if you like it and it smokes good for you. Enjoy. :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If it had a thick cake layer, it shows it was a regular in someone's rotation, not a "bought it, didn't like it" reject. Seems like you got a pretty good score there. Enjoy!

pipebender

Lurker
Aug 16, 2015
I'd say it smokes pretty well but I may need to work on my packing. It's a lot better those nasty little Chinese corn cobs I was using. I spent about 1 1/2 hours outside with it with some David's Blend Black Cavendish. Very shortly I have better choices for a beginner coming from two site sponsors, Smokingpipes & 4noggins. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.