PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Ii purchased it off of Ebay and the only marking are on the base of the pipe. Engraved is Barclay Rex. I tried to find info on the pipe but all i can tell is that Barclay Rex is a tobacco shop in NYC. does anybody know who made this? does the pipe shop make their own pipes?
olewaylon
[/url][/img]
olewaylon
[/url][/img]
olewaylon
[/url][/img]

Aug 14, 2012
Barclay Rex is the current operator of the tobacco shops formerly called Peterson (no connection to the pipemaker, except it sells their product). I worked for Peterson in the 1950s when in high school, and would be interested in knowing when the chain was sold, and would also like to know more about Barclay Rex.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
It's a monster chunk O' briar that's for sure. It looks like it has seen a lot a fine smokes as well. I'm sure there are many stories within it's massive walls.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
thanks for the input. There is no other marking other than the Barclay Rex so i guess I will never know for certain. after cleaning her up and reaming it she came up really clean. Just enjoyed a nice 2 hour smoke out if it and Im glad to have her either way.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Many pipe shops in the 50's, 60's, 70's and so on had pipes made for them with the stores name on them. At least that's my understanding. Without knowing the history of the particular pipe shop it's hard to know sometimes what manufacturer or pipe carver made the pipe for the shop.
I have a Uhle's Rough Bent Billiard pipe from Uhle's Pipe Shop, and I'm guessing its from the 60's. I still haven't been able to find out who made this pipe and probably won't ever know.

rockrat

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
Wow! That's a neat looking pipe. Looks like a handful of briar. Glad to see someone grabbed her, cleaned her up and making smoke withe her! Nice score!

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
thanks Rockrat. I saw her on Ebay and it was too unique not to bid on. it feels great in the hand and smokes well. I also love the fact that its a sitter since this one would take up too much space on the ole pipe rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.