Tags:  No tags yet. 

Can Anyone Tell Me About This Pipe?

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by olewaylon
  • Latest reply from blownsmoke
  1. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

Ii purchased it off of Ebay and the only marking are on the base of the pipe. Engraved is Barclay Rex. I tried to find info on the pipe but all i can tell is that Barclay Rex is a tobacco shop in NYC. does anybody know who made this? does the pipe shop make their own pipes?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos">

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If it's a Barclay Rex and says "Algerian Briar," then it was likely made in-house in Manhattan. Barclay-Rex made these pipes using Algerian briar into the 1960's. Savinelli also made pipes for them as well as some Danish makers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Barclay Rex is the current operator of the tobacco shops formerly called Peterson (no connection to the pipemaker, except it sells their product). I worked for Peterson in the 1950s when in high school, and would be interested in knowing when the chain was sold, and would also like to know more about Barclay Rex.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

from the looks of it its previous owner was either a beaver or a wood pecker.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. vespertillio

vespertillio

Login to Send PM

It's a monster chunk O' briar that's for sure. It looks like it has seen a lot a fine smokes as well. I'm sure there are many stories within it's massive walls.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

thanks for the input. There is no other marking other than the Barclay Rex so i guess I will never know for certain. after cleaning her up and reaming it she came up really clean. Just enjoyed a nice 2 hour smoke out if it and Im glad to have her either way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many pipe shops in the 50's, 60's, 70's and so on had pipes made for them with the stores name on them. At least that's my understanding. Without knowing the history of the particular pipe shop it's hard to know sometimes what manufacturer or pipe carver made the pipe for the shop.

I have a Uhle's Rough Bent Billiard pipe from Uhle's Pipe Shop, and I'm guessing its from the 60's. I still haven't been able to find out who made this pipe and probably won't ever know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. rockrat

rockrat

Login to Send PM

Wow! That's a neat looking pipe. Looks like a handful of briar. Glad to see someone grabbed her, cleaned her up and making smoke withe her! Nice score!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

thanks Rockrat. I saw her on Ebay and it was too unique not to bid on. it feels great in the hand and smokes well. I also love the fact that its a sitter since this one would take up too much space on the ole pipe rack.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. blownsmoke

blownsmoke

Login to Send PM

What did u give for it?

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   warren, landon, wcannoy, conlejm, texmexpipe, yazamitaz, mmjk, mrenglish, carytobacco, okiescout, tppytel, tbradsim1, peckinpahhombre, andystewart, phil67, jiminks, soymilkisgood, cortezattic, escioe, misterlowercase, framitz, daimyo, msandoval858, andypandy, meatballj, rifraf, billypm, blueeyedogre, northernneil, lawmax3, andya27