davecouch

Lurker
Jan 31, 2014
BfjeZIpCcAAAV6Z.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Uhhhhh. . .
We're good, but I don't think we have any mind-readers here. :)
(IOW, if you were posting a pic, it didn't take. Be sure to read the FAQ on posting pics here, if you're not sure about the method.)
And welcome!
Bob

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hi Dave, and welcome to the Forum. It would help if you could tell us what the stamping says, and also provide a description/photo of the stamp on the stem.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
Congratulations, Dave! You've thus far, stumped the experts! I've seen these guys instantly identify obscure pipes from fuzzy and grainy photos of a tiny section of the mouthpiece! This is truly an accomplishment. :mrgreen:
Oh yeah. Welcome. Don't let anyone know I sent you here. Wait... was that out loud? :wink:

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Great looking pipe, by the way. Welcome to the forums. Possibly you can take another picture, or read off what it says. Is that the only side anything is written? Like scrapy said, usually someone here can readily identify it if the description is clearly known.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I think I know what this might be. Can you post a close up of the bit please as I need to know if its a letter or a figurine.
Thank you

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
With the decorative mark at the beginning of the name I gotta say I still cant tell what it says for sure.
I googled "aink xx 781 smoking pipes" Amongst many results was asking if my sink was on fire. 8O
It definitely doesn't look like briar as stated in another post,

but it does look real sharp!

chordof3

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
Rome, GA
It looks to be a JAINK pipe. All I can find about it is a website that sells them. The website states that they are made of mahogany and sandalwood in Great Britain. I have my doubts. The website seems a bit sketchy. Hope that helps.

For reference: http://www.ibuyla.com/Search/?q=Jaink&cat=0

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
chordof3:
While the name works, none of those pipes seems to have any nomenclature whatsoever -- or any hint of quality. They appear to be those awful Chinese pipes. Yet the OP's pipe is clearly marked and, at least by appearance, well-made.
While "Jaink" looks exactly right, given what seems to be on the OP's pipe shank, the only "Jainks" that come up with a search are really cheaply made, all-black Chinese pipes. Whereas the OP's pipe looks like a very nice -- although not briar -- pipe.
Bob

chordof3

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
Rome, GA
I apologize, I just realized I posted the wrong web link. Although that website appears to sell Jaink pipes the one I was referencing is this one.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mahogany-jaink-838-red-sandalwood-smoking-pipe-smoking-pipe-male-gift/1096420288.html

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Bazinger! Well JAINK is a subsidiary brand for a furniture manufacturer in China which would make sense with all that tasteful mahogany furniture the Chinese are well known for making. I suppose after you have converted a 300 hundred year old tree into a couple of beds with dragon motifs, a few tables and the odd coffin to put your ancestor in you are stuck with all these off cuts. With typical oriental ingenuity you convert these into pipes and sell them to the dim Brit's. Usually they are sold under the brand name 'Scolor' and it would seem 'Jaink' is just another version of the same. These products are advertised in commercial directories where you can buy several hundred pipes at a clip at say $2 each which are retailed for whatever the market will absorb. One such catalogue www.alibaba.com which covers every product from pipes to tungsten drill bits. The give away is most of these people are based in Shenzen which is a centre for furniture manufacture. Having been married to a Chinese girl twenty odd years ago I tend to have a huge store of useless trivia of this nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.