Can anyone help with dating this Hardcastle?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
G'day all
I usually steer clear of Hardcastles for no other reason than, try as I might, I can never nail down a date for them, particularly where there are no patent numbers/silver etc., and their post-family reputation is far from stellar. So when I won this at auction I was fairly surprised since I thought I was bidding on a nice little Dunmore and had obviously loaded the incorrect item number into my sniper.
I know this is a relatively modern pipe - apart from anything else it has the St Andrews Rd address on the box - but I was expecting a very poor pipe, and this is not. Cheap, perhaps - the finishing on the stem and smooth panel is lacking finesse, but the blast is nice, there are no fills or defects, drilling is spot on. There is nothing that suggests this is a anything but a fairly high-end pipe and if they'd spend another couple of minutes on the stem, I wouldn't be disappointed if I had paid for a white spot.
But I can't even get a ballpark for the date. The only stamping is as seen in the 2nd image - straight line, no apostrophe. I know De Luxe was an early line, but Special De Luxe? The pipe and box have Hardcastle branding (no mention of Parker). It is unsmoked but doesn't have a contemporary feel and the box looks dated (and indeed rather cheap).
So I was rather hoping that some kind person in the know is able to shed a little light on this pipe. It's not going to set pulses racing, but the pipe doesn't seem to fit the fairly dire reputation of a post-family Hardcastle.
Many thanks.
Geoff
img_7432-600x400.jpg

img_7433-600x426.jpg

img_7436-600x400.jpg

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks Daniel7, that's fairly exact. I'm here to learn, so can you tell me how you got there?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome little cooker. Years ago, Iwan Ries had a small selection of down-market Hardcastles with dull copper bands and more or less matte finishes for forty bucks. Oddly, I was tempted but never took the bait. Homely, but I bet they were good smokers, probably late nineties vintage. This is a far better looking pipe.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks MSO. The seller had a few pipes listed (including the Dunmore), some of which looked NOS, most dating to around the 70s/80s as far as I could make out. The only give-away with this really is the smooth panel - it looks like it has just come off a sanding belt which, even for a budget pipe, seems a odd way to finish it.
I have only ever bought two new pipes, one being a cheap Parker, and it is downright awful. Full of fills, hot, wet and unsmokable. The thought that a Hardcastle was (by reputation) a Parker second completely eliminated any possibility of me spending money on one. Shame really, but good reputations are easy to lose; bad reputations are practically indelible.
Thanks for your comments.
Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.