PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
My wife is creating a literary journal online using Wordpress. She is having issues formatting some of the poems into HTML to retain the original form of the poems. Mainly it's an issue creating larger spaces on a single line. Could anyone help me out and if I sent you two poems could you code it so it will show up properly? I know we have a lot of diverse talent on this forum so I figure who better to ask then my fellow Brothers of the Briar! Thanks!

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
not sure what you mean about larger spaces - vertical space or horizontal? for vertical use this - less than sign br greater than sign. for a horizontal you can use non breaking spaces "ampersand n b s p semicolon " - except without spaces between the letters.
go here to learn a whole bunch of stuff: http://www.w3schools.com - it's a great resource.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Amazingly Wordpress does not allow or recognize that HTML code it appears but when you update the page it wipes the code as if it were never entered. Now I'm really confused.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
That was the right code I was looking for amp nbsp semi colon and I wish it were that simple but it seems Wordpress has an issue with spaces

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Wordpress is my favorite content management system, but it does have its' quirks, one of them being that it will code white space. PipesMagazine.com uses Wordpress, by the way.
When you go to write a post, look all the way to the right of the editing window for two tabs. One says Visual, and the other says HTML. Make sure you have the HTML tab selected before pasting in your HTML.
html-tab.jpg

I use an HTML editor, like Dreamweaver, and paste my code.
Before pasting your code, you have to get rid of all the white space. In the examples below, ignore the tags for html, head, and body. If you use this inside a Wordpress post, you will break things. (They probably get stripped out anyway, but still don't use them.
bad.jpg

The above with the wrapped text will cause the text to wrap in WP.
You have to do it like this:
good.jpg

The one below will get you a full return, as if hitting your enter key twice while making a post here in the forums.
paragraph-space.jpg

The p tag = paragraph. The characters in between create a space as if you hit the space bar on your keyboard. You need that in between the opening and closing p tags for Wordpress to make the full return space. It won't work with just an opening and closing p tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.