Can anyone help me identify these aftermarket pipe stems?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyiommi

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
I just bought a Savinelli Capri Cameo Grain and I'm not sure the model number. Maybe someone can help me with that too. The reason I'm here though is I'd like to know if anyone has seen this stem on it before and can identify it. It's obviously a replacement stem and I've seen them before on older pipes but I can never find out more about them. I've also attached an eBay listing with the exact same stems as mine has but also on all sorts of different makes of pipes. Thanks in advance! I also deeply apologize if this is in the wrong section. I'm extremely new to forums and such.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

My pipe is obviously in very rough condition. I bought it as a project.

tonyiommi

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
Much appreciated! I've been looking for a couple hours and came up with not a dang thing. Can you ascertain any reason as to why these previous owners chose to put them on their pipes? The previous owner from the last picture must have really enjoyed them. Do you also have an idea on the shape code of my Capri? Thanks again!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If the pipes are Carey's then then the stems are original. Carey's Smokeshop is located in North Canton, Ohio. The stems use a paper tube as a filter called the magic inch.It needs something to lessen the air flow through the stem. They aren't meant to be smoked without the papyrate filter. You can also use a short length of drinking straw too I have heard but , it won't act as a filter. I'm not a fan BTW. The stems always seemed very cheap to me.
Of course, I don't think that Capri is a Carey's prduct. The most obvious answer to why is they fit the mortise.

Mike S.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Capri Root Briar #901. As to why someone would replace original stems with Carey's, I can only surmise that they wanted to use filters. Some Savinelli's are set up to use balsa wood filter and come with inserts if you don't want to use the filters. Others don't come set up for filters. The Europeans seem to favor using filters in their pipes hence the convertible systems.

tonyiommi

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
According to the eBay listing that last picture is from, none of those are magic inch pipes. He lists the make of them. I think the previous owner had them converted. It's a shame the previous owner of mine replaced the original stem on the Capri. Since it's not original anyways I'm probably going to try to find a luctite one. How hard is it to fit a new stem to this and do you guys have any recommendations for a place to get one? Thank you kindly for helping me solve this as it has puzzled me for awhile.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You can do a couple of things. Norwood's Pipe Repair in Clifton, Tennessee has done a lot of stems for me. Their work is excellent, quick and very reasonable.

Or, you could contact the US distributor for Savinelli and see if they can get you an original stem since it appears that the Capri line is still being made.

Laudisi Enterprises, sales@laudisi.com or 843-491-4150. Laudisi is in South Carolina. Best wishes and good luck.

tonyiommi

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
Thanks for the response! Just for the record I do not own the pipes in the last picture. I only own the Savinelli Capri in the first ones. I bought it as a project pipe to mess around with in my spare time. Not sure if it's even worth getting professionally restored. I'm puzzled about the value of this pipe as I've been pressed to find another exactly like it. Why is fitting your own not recommended?

tonyiommi

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
Not sure if this is the same pipe I have or not but it's by far the closest that resembles it. even the markings are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcyeKWaN0tM

If it's as rare as he leads you to believe maybe I better get it professionally restored. Maybe I'll just sit on it for awhile before I get to messing with anything.

tonyiommi

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
Well according to other sources it looks like this things worth about $60-$80 in good condition. Maybe I'll screw around with it after all.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you. The Magic Inch pipe from Carey. I remember the adverts in The Sunday Express where they claimed that if you didn't like it after two weeks you could smash it with a hammer and return the damned thing to Mr. Carey. I remember the picture of Mr. Carey who was a sort of smart 1950s looking fellow wearing a shirt with an ascot and a blazer and pipe sticking out of his face. He always reminded me of one of my favorite Uncles. The advert used to have this long description of how the 'Magic Inch' worked but then in those days I would have thought that the Mr. Carey was been over taken by that ghastly aluminum Falcon contraption beloved of those members of society that keep ferrets and live close to Doncaster! If you send the pipes to Tim West he will probably work miracles for you but be prepared to wait a few months.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Sparks is correct, I did recently have some stem work performed although it was not wholesale replacement as you are seeking, but rather the replacement of two broken tenons. Mr. Mike Myers of Walker Pipe Repair, LLC in Ann Arbor, Michigan was the craftsman, and his quality was superb. Should you wish to contact him to discuss your specific needs he may be reached at www.walkerpiperepair.com, or at 734.945.1691.
P.S.: I am in no way, shape, or form connected with this company. Rather, I am simply appreciative of a job well-done, and not abashed about saying so.

tonyiommi

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
Not sure this thing is even worth $20 as it sits. That's why I got it mainly. I thought it was a cool looking pipe and wanted something to toy around with and see if I could make it a pipe worth owning. Never had the intention to sell it. Thanks greatly for all the information! I have access to a lathe but no experience with pipe stems. I really like the pipe so I'll just let it sit awhile before I make my move. Thanks again greatly to everyone who contributed here!

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Very nice collection sir!
Welcome aboard. I'm less than a year old myslef, and I can tell you how nice and welcoming everyone is. It's a great crew...

tonyiommi

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
Figured I'd put an update here because I got a couple questions to ask. I finally got around to cleaning this pipe. After starting to ream the bowl and a couple rounds I noticed it wasn't reaming too nicely. I thought I could see cake but nothing but fine dust was coming off. So I cleaned the top and I found out this pipe is actually meerschaum lined. I was a bit ticked at myself for not paying closer attention because I really gouged the heck out of the meerschaum. Is there anything I could have screwed up? I'm not very knowledgeable about meerschaum but people usually seem to warn about reaming it due to damaging it. I also replaced the stem. Sent a guy measurements and he fabricated me one and it fit perfectly. Didn't like the color as I thought it would look better on the pipe so I ordered a different one from him and will keep the other for a spare or something else.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Since I've been smoking a pipe I've acquired several used ones to smoke and bringing them into their best condition is a learning experience. I have had failures due to lack of knowledge and my own fault.

I guess that's the 'cost' of education.
As for repair?...here again is opportunity to learn.

tonyiommi

Lurker
Aug 16, 2014
I was lucky in the fact that the pipe was much better off than the pictures led me to believe. I thought I'd have to refinish it and do more. I just reamed the bowl then sanded after I figured out it was meerschaum. I did gouge the meerschaum in a couple spots though. Then wiped the outside down with the inside of a winter sock and she looks good as new! I have yet to smoke it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.