PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Three times in my pipe smoking life I've had pipes (reputable brands all) just go south, in spite of regular cleaning, salt/everclear treatments, etc. They just ceased to smoke well, i.e. the taste changed.

I've been told more than once that a pipe should last forever, assuming well cared for.

Any experiences out there similar to mine ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not so far. I have a dozen or so pipes that I've had for over 50 years, and they are all fine. But they had a 40 year rest until five years ago.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have a tough time understanding why this would be. I've cut open briars that had been smoked 8 zillion times, to find that the wood inside the chamber was stained with tar for about 1/2 a millimeter. There's no penetration at all.
I do think that rubber stems have a finite life though, and I'm always curious about a pipe that tastes bad - is it the stem itself?
A guy's palate changes as he drifts into his 40th year of smoking, and he decides the pipe is to blame? I just don't know.

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
I've had some of my pipes over 45 years and they're still smoking great.
I do nothing more than rotating and cleaning. And I smoke everyday, and only have 6 pipes.
Cleaning every 4 - 6 months or as needed. Nothing special (no salt stuff), just cleaning the stem and bowl stem with alcohol and a pipe cleaner, and a bowl ream if needed.
Last couple years I've been applying Obsideon oil to the stems.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
If it has a vulcanite stem, that'd be my guess. I have a Nording freehand that was unsmokably horrid tasting, even after 1 or 2 years between smokes. I had the stem changed for a Lucite replacement a few months ago. No more tire fire taste.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Not a ghosting issue.

I didn't own many pipes at all at the time they (at different times) went south. Now, having nothing better to spend my money on (can I get a witness ? ), maybe I won't have it happen again......more rest between smokes.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
+1 Salt and booze has drastically improved my life... :rofl:
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A minority of pipe smokers on Forums and elsewhere avoid building cake, scooping out the ash then wiping the bowl out with a rough paper towel or napkin. This leaves a thin coat of carbon but much less residue that might carry tastes and smells you don't want. Also, it maintains the circumference of the chamber, and eliminates the need for a reamer. I don't own one. So consider that. It's an option. Many love cake and reamers, and I respect that, but I like the alternative for my pipes.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I have a ridiculous number of pipes, bought in different eras and many of them are estate pipes. Most of the estates still smoke great. My oldest pipe that I bought when new is a Savory's Argyll 140 diplomat purchased in the early 1970s. It's still my favorite smoking pipe of all that I own. I clean them with a pipecleaner, paper towel and, when needed, those little sanding sponges. I rest them after each time that I smoke them.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I have a pipe that's an old estate that's quickly coming on its 90th birthday (according to my research) and it's my best smoker. Another in my collection is in its mid 60s and still smokes great. I think they can last more than a few lifetimes if not longer if well cared for.

Status
Not open for further replies.