PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Will be hanging around a campfire among non-smokers; I have a modest selection of Aros / English to introduce them to, but don't want to scare them (ha). Plus, I'm saving my Penzance and Black Frigate for my own company. Below are the milder offerings.
What are your thoughts? Headed there around 7:15 USA EST.
Aros:

Boswell Cherry Smash

Boswell Vanilla Cream

Boswell Cupcake
Non-Aro:

Frog Morton - Across The Pond

Pete's Beard Blend - Unsweet Tea

Boswell Countryside

Boswell Best

Dunhill Nightcap

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any of your aromatics will keep the fellow campers happy. Outdoors, the non-aros might not be a problem, although maybe not Nightcap so much. For campfire duty, I'd opt for a real old time Americana blend, like PC/Russ O.'s Log Cabin, but you have a nice set of aromatics that will keep the companions happy.

May 4, 2015
Mixed with the campfire smoke, I don't think anything will be offensive. If you were chugging something very burley-forward you may get complaints of a "cigarette" smell, but your choices should be fairly inoffensive. Heck, anything with latakia, and I doubt they'd be able to distinguish it from the ambient odor anyway.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Thanks to you both for the very fast reply. You're probably correct on the latakia blending into the camp smoke. So I compromised and mixed and oz or so of Cherry Smash and Vanilla Cream. Who doesn't like a Cherry Vanilla scent?
Who knows, I may convert the adults into pipe smokers. :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Tom's right- any Lat bomb will smell just like the campfire. Nightcap and Old Dublin both smell like a good-quality forest fire.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, these seedy-smelling fires we get here in Southern Arizona are no good. The big Yellowstone fire of '88? Now that was a good room note.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Start the day with an aromatic. End the day, sitting around the camp fire, with an English blend.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Yeah, these seedy-smelling fires we get here in Southern Arizona are no good. The big Yellowstone fire of '88? Now that was a good room note.
Sigh. I was in Boulder, MT in '88 and now in Casa Grande.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you are trying to induct new pipe smokers, aros would not be the way to go. The neophyte pipe smoker hasn't learned the packing and cadence to properly enjoy them. Tongue bite and complaints of tasting hot air are the biggest complaints. Aromatics should be at the far end of the journey rather than the beginning like many would suggest. Give the new guys a nice, easy burning burley like Carter Hall to start them on the journey. As for your own smoking around the fire. Enjoy yourself. Outdoors, I've never heard a complaint about Latakia blends.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
The campfire smoke went well. In fact, the hosts' wife was interested in the pipe process but not in trying it. The Cherry-Vanilla blend I created burned well in my Rossi Billiard (a favorite bowl size for aros).
All in all, I wasn't thrown out of the yard. LOL
Thanks for all of your recommendations.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I don't.think ever in my life did I smoke a pipe with anyone but myself in mind. That said, around a fire, I very much enjoyed Frenchy's Sonsabitches by Hearth and Home. It tasted especially nice when I lit a pipe full with a glowing ember at the end of a stick. Lately, I've been on a Royal Yacht kick. I'm sure it would be mighty tasty around a fire too.

Status
Not open for further replies.