PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just a bowl or two left of Riverboat Gambler, so here's the PC summary of the blend:
Cornell & Diehl Riverboat Gambler is a hard to classify, non-aromatic pipe tobaccos with a rich flavor. This blend was a collaboration between two revered masters of Burley, the late Craig Tarler and Bob Runowski. Of course, Burley is the base of this blend, but Virginias bring in some sweetness, and the addition of Turkish tobacco brings in an earthy spice. It's finished off with the "plum and pepper" flavor of Perique. Non-aromatic fans who like something different are sure to enjoy C&D's Riverboat Gambler.
​My tin was on the shelf for several years, and when I finally popped the tin I found it full strength but somewhat nuanced, not for the new pipe smoker nor the mild blend smoker, four triangles out of five, but also pretty well mannered and always bringing me back. Nicotine is there but not pervasive for me. You definitely have to be a burley person, and the other tobaccos chime in nicely, especially the Turkish and Perique. When you have two old blending hands like Tarler and Runowski harmonizing a blend, you know it will be a distinctive smoke. Not for everyone, but definitely appealing for some. Like me.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
Great review.......
I have tried to review this a few times but failed! I am a Burley fan and love Perique and Oriental blends.
It's certainly a little different and after most of a tin ........smoked over quite a long period, I am not even sure if I like it! I keep going back to it.....and I will probably order another tin......which says it all I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.