PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I cracked a tin of Morning Bayou Flake last week. My understanding is that it is 25% Perique. My first reaction was not one of pleasure. The Perique mouth feel was aggressive and seemed to overwhelm the blend - and my taste buds. But taking a que from some of the old timers, I persisted and smoked maybe another half dozen bowls. The blend grew on me and I look forward to each new bowl. Not only do I like it, it will hold a unique place in my rotation. I've smoked nothing else quite like it.
So, I was reminded of the importance of avoiding haste when evaluating a new blend.
Time doesn't do the trick for all tobaccos. I've sipped maybe 6 ounces of Margate and it still doesn't do the trick for me. It is a solid mix but I still much prefer Quiet Nights or Squadron Leader or Magnum Opus when it comes to English blends.
I'm trying some Northwoods by Boswell and wasn't initially impressed. Not bad but not outstanding out of the gate. I'll see what time tells as I finish the bag.
It is dirty work but somebody's got to do it.
Pax

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Are you trying the flake or the loose cut?
The flake is a tobacco that I loved when I first got it; however, after a couple of tins I have lost my enjoyment. I have a couple of tins of this in my cellar for the day when my tastes might change back.

Thanks for the review. This is one that I haven't heard much about recently.

I'm smoking it right now, in my Luciano Bulldog. It's definitely a peppery blend. I smoke it when I want a medium nicotine blend with an acidic... pepperyness, not when I want a Virginia sweetness. I don't even register any Virginia in it, but the perique... the perique is what this one is all about. I don't think of it when I make a mental list of VaPers. It's for after a heavy meal, preferably the evening. It's not a heavy nic hit, but the nicotine makes itself known. Great for a movie night.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks for responses. I'm smoking the flake style. I'll usually taken flakes over ready-rubbed. Nice broken flake at that. I pretty much just fold and stuff them.
Pax

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
What make this blend interesting is that it come in a both flake and a ribbon cut that is not a ready rub. I find the flake to be very sour at the start of the bowl. I think I might have to crack a tin this weekend and see if I can get some of the peppery notes.
Happy buffing.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Actually, looking at the C&D website it looks like the Bayou Morning and Bayou Morning Flake might be two different blends.
Of Bayou Morning C&D says:

A Perique lover's delight, Bayou Morning is a bold mixture of red and bright Va's and 25% Perique. While not for the faint of heart, it remains one of our most popular blends.
Of Bayou Morning Flake C&D says:

A Virginia/Perique lover's delight! We start with Old Belt red Virginias, add 25% Perique, and press the whole before slicing into flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.