PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
This is the second time in a fortnight I've been bowled over with enjoyment on a new (to me) tobacco! Last time it was War Horse Green, this time C&D King Cake! I don't do reviews, I just do "enjoys". There are far more extremely well versed reviewers amongst our most excellent membership! That being said, C&D sells this as an "aromatic" in their Cellar Series. I'm always on the lookout for aro's that have most excellent basic tobaccos whose glory also shines. This one did that for me! The Virginias in the blend were top notch, the perique made delightfully various peeks into the mix, and the aromatic component was delicious! I smoked this in a capaciously large-bowled Polinski pipe that gave me a 2.5 hour reverie with King Cake! Even when it reached the point deep in the bowl where lesser aro's get bitter and nasty, the base tobaccos in this blend carried it home to perfect conclusion! I am finding far too many blends all of a sudden that I really like!!
The tobacco:

003-016-0275.jpeg

The pipe:

polinski-rusticated-bent-brandy-9mm.jpg

Incidently the tin-note was another one I liked so much I could tie it in a mesh bag around my neck and sniff it all day, AND Her Majesty totally dug the room note... she did kind of a double-take and actually came back into my smoking domain in the garage to enjoy it some more! (very unusual!)

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Glad you like it jerwynn. I added a tin of this more as an afterthought when ordering some Dunhill Dark Flake and F&T Cut Virginia Plug. Now this gives me an excuse to try it sooner rather than later.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Purchased two tins of it. I have quite a few tins of other tobacco opened at the moment so I haven't had the chance to try it out. Glad to hear people are enjoying it, though! :puffpipe:

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
And Friday is 12th night, the start of king cake and Mardi Gras season. Perfect opportunity to enjoy this blend.

Somewhat off topic, King Cake ice cream by Blue Bell is crack.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I saw it in an email not too long ago from S&P and the description sounds interesting but it doesn't really explain what it smells/tastes like. Does it taste/smell like a king cake? And if so is it the original version from France(Gallette des rois) which has an almond paste like filling or what they have in New Orleans which I think might have cinnamon in it.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I grabbed four tins of King Cake this week, and I really like it. It's got a softer texture than most kakes, to the point that once you cut a slab off, it rubs out very easily. The tin note will make anyone happy, and the room note will make SHMBO happy also, and it tastes good too. :rofl: :clap: :puffy:

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
Hazelnut and plum influenced, I hear:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/5iis1r/king_cake_from_cd/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm mostly a non-aro guy, but I have several aros in my rotation for a change of pace, and you're right, the tobacco forward element with quality base tobaccos is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.