PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
As I only smoke 2 blends @ a time for long periods, eventually get the hankering to vary 1 of them. Rather than reorder C&D Odessa, am considering C&D Byzantium which I have never tried. Does have fine reviews on TR. But for those of you who have tried it, what is your opinion?

May 4, 2015
It's good. Very good.
It's strong, though - quite a bit more so than Odessa.
I wouldn't smoke it all day, and if it's one of two that you rotate, you may get burnt out on it. I don't know how much you smoke, though.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I haven't tried RO yet but absolutely love Byzantium. Oriental forward medium strength and smoky. Burns great and is pretty easy on my mouth. Some blends with a higher amount of lat and oriental can tire my palette quickly and this does not.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Sounding good. Thank you all. 1coyote, I like them strong any time of the day, except perhaps right after breakfast. Though I do smoke ODF then and don't consider that particularly mild.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
It is a Latakia bomb and veeeeeery smoky. One of the best Balkan blends ever. I have never met a bad Balkan blend actually. Did I say that it was smoky?

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
It took two or three bowls before I really got on board, but now I really love it. I also blended some with Macbaren's Pure Virginia Flake and am waiting another couple of weeks before I try that. I'll let you know how that goes.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
sthbkr77, that's very kind of you. But think I'm more than ready to pull the trigger now. Can't wait to load it up. :lol:

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Latakia and orientals... with no VA? Sounds quite interesting. I will have to order some for my dad--he absolutely loves the oriental heavy latakia blends!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
It took two or three bowls before I really got on board, but now I really love it. I also blended some with Macbaren's Pure Virginia Flake and am waiting another couple of weeks before I try that. I'll let you know how that goes.
I have always wondered how it would smoke after adding some Virginia to it. Please let us know.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
Byzantium was love at first smoke, one of my first strong blends, when it burns, it has a campfire smell to it and I can almost smell marshmallows, it is a good evening smoke, right after you finish eating, I would usually pair this with a good ale or lager, I remember smoking this in the winter and the smell of burning campfire would bring great comfort in the coldest days of winter.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
It arrived today. So, had my maiden smoke. Liked it pretty well. To me, it tastes like C&D Odessa without the burley, which I see by comparison adds some body and earthiness to the blend. Not a bad thing as I was looking for a similar blend without burley, tiring of the burley thing a bit. In terms of strength, though, I find that my favorite, ODF, seems stronger. For that matter, Odessa seems a tad stronger too.

Status
Not open for further replies.