PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
This is a blend that I think could be very easily misunderstood. It is very straight forward, without a terrible amount of complexity. The tin note is earthy and hay like very pleasant to my nose. The cut is like a flake that has been cut into three or four equal prices length wise. I took about four prices folded in half and stick them into a MM Diplomat Apple. The initial light and the first part of the bowl were a little alarming for me as they were some what harsh on the tongue and mouth. But I persisted and kept on. My normal cadence is typically longer draws as I like a good amount of smoke, this doesn't work too well for this blend. I found that once I began to sip the pipe it really settled down. The overall taste to my pallet was very earthy hay like, and the occasional nuttiness of the burley comes through. Though it isn't a sweet almond like nuttiness but rather a darker almost Brazil or hazelnut nuttiness, it is a little hard to describe. The Virgina I think serves to keep the burley in check, but I didn't get a sweetness from it, rather it was the mellow hay like profile. All in all the smoke is consistsant as my cadence. I will say this is the most cigar like of any blend I've had to date. Think light Connecticut wrapper in taste. The nicotine is certainly strong but not overwhelming to me, though I can see the potential for this to be a head spinner if not respected.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Thanks for the review. Many years ago the late Bob Runowski (Morleysson) sent me a hefty sample of Burley Flake #1 to try before it was offered to the public. Bob created the Burley Flakes for C&D. Bob always referred to me as his "guinea pig" because of my affection for that fine leaf and Bob & I had similar tastes in tobacco. He always sent me samples of blends he created before they were released and even some pre-released blends that he didn't have a hand in. Your assessment of #1 is spot on. It is the only blend that I've ever smoked that really floored me when it comes to the nicotine hit. I smoke high nic blends like OJK, 5 Brothers, G&H Dark Birdseye and many more. Most days I smoke these blends back to back all day long and have never received a nic hit like I did from Burley Flake #1. Other then the nic hit Burley Flake #1 is a fine blend but I never purchased any since that first time. Maybe it's time I revisited this fine blend.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am rather fond of this blend. Its taste is very raw, almost green, but it quickly mellows into a warm buttery nutty flavor. The nicotine hit is substantial but enjoyable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley is some of my favorite tobaccos, and I've had a tin of this for a year or three, unopened. I'll look forward to trying it, and will approach it with curiosity and respect. Maybe the aging will favor the Virginia too. I really enjoy the Semois, thick and medium cut, Five Brothers, and the recently released PC Log Cabin from Russ O. I like English, Balkan, Va-Per, and Virginias, but a jolt of good old burley always cheers me up.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Me too. I find a majority Burley, with some Virginia and alternatively a minor dose of Perique or Turkish will cheer me right up.
I am glad for your advocacy of the Semois. This is one of my favorite work tobaccos: moderate Nicotine, sweet flavor halfway between bright Virginia and dark Burley, and easy on the mouth (no bite). A great all-day all-night smoke.

It has a taste? I find that Burley Flake #1 makes the sun come up immediately. I just chain myself to the floor and fire off into space. I can't smoke it while working, or walking the dog, or watching a movie, or... anything really. I load up my biggest burley bad momma pipe, and strike the match, and take off. When I am done, I crawl over to my bed and close my eyes. When I open immediately the the sun is out and the birds are bringing me coffee to get the smoldering remains of my mouth quined becore letting foot touch floor again. It's a nice break from ropes and Irish plugs as an end of day cocktail.

Boorah!! This one should come with your spirit guide's name on the label, so you know which talking animals are the ones with the right keys to the correct doors. Nuff said.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This one should come with your spirit guide's name on the label, so you know which talking animals are the ones with the right keys to the correct doors.
My kind of tobacco!
I find this series does well when blended with other tobaccos that need some backbone that simply smoked on their own.
It mixes strikingly well with Va/Pers. Bet it would be dynamite with Elizabethan Mixture. Alas, I smoked all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.