C&D Bayou Morning Flake...#2015 On Steroids!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks to member Stan my latest package from over the pond arrived yesterday. Among the usual culprits was a new to me blend, C&D's Bayou Morning Flake.
I had read that it contains 25% Perique and was something of a powerful blend. Well powerful it most certainly is...I think it's the first ever blend that actually had me sweating by the half bowl stage!
The tin note is truly scrumptious with much fruit and a vague whiff of cocoa. Nice and dark broken flakes, I left a good pinch out overnight to dry off a little and fired up my first bowl this morning. I'm a huge fan of St. James Flake and McClelland's #2015 VaPers but BMF knocks both of those into a cocked hat. Much figgy taste with a slight bitterness (which is not unpleasant) but very powerful in the nicotine department. And there was me thinking that Burley was the nicotine king.
I shall try a few more bowls but if it keeps breaking me out in a sweat and making me heady I just might have to cut it with some straight Virginia to try and calm it down a bit. I doubt it will spoil the blend, just make a great tasting blend that bit more 'me friendly'.
Regards,
Jay.

Reactions: orvet

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I love this blend and it’s non flake version as well. I’m always amazed at how people have different experiences in taste. For me there is a musty/sour component to it, and I’ve never had any bitterness. I recommend putting some in a jar for a year, it takes the harsh spots out, but I do love it fresh too.

I think that I must be the only person in the entire universe that doesn't detect any Virginia in there at all. It tastes exactly like a burley to me. This is the only VaPer blend that tastes this way to me. No Virginia at all. I've just written it off as having to do with whatever C&D does to their Virginias. But, a lot of guys really like it, so... what do I know? :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"For me there is a musty/sour component to it, and I’ve never had any bitterness."
Texmex, I was using bitterness in the meaning of sourness which to me are pretty much analogous. Slightly tart I would say with little to no sweetness which might explain Michael's feelings of a lack of Virginia.
Still, it's a good blend tastewise, it's just that it hit me right in the chops halfway through the bowl...I'll give it another crack tomorrow.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I agree with Texmex, this stuff is good from the get go but a year in a jar makes it stellar! Sweet and tangy deliciousness! I have a couple tins of the flakes in my cellar but I have only smoked the Mixture thus far.
Cosmic, ya sure they didn’t accidentally slip you Old Joe Krantz instead of Bayou Morning?

Ha ha, my memory may be prone to hyperbole from time to time, As I said, it just may be my tastebuds just not getting what I’d expect from a Virginia perique. Lots of people like it though. I do still have some aging to see how it develops over time. I don’t hate it. There’s probably just an “expectation” to “perception” paradign shift going on for me. Who knows, maybe I’ll come back to it and hit a spot just right for me latter on.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Right now, I'm smoking a bowl of Bayou Morning that has spent over 7 yrs. in the jar."
I did jar up a good portion of my BMF for putting away...as per the advice given above. Tried another bowl this morn, same thing...halfway down I got punched in the head with the nicotine...so shall have to dilute the rest.
Regards,
Jay.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I too find it sour and very strong with nicotine. I found myself craving it but could never once finish a bowl because I'd always end up spinning haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.