PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Just had my first pipe in over a week, cold is letting up and I can smell again.
Tried this one this evening, and was pleasantly surprised. The tin note smells very much like your average vanilla aromatic but it's not so. It has a sharp edge to a sweet flavor and an excellent room note.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
One of the better maple flavored blends. I also enjoy Capt. Bob's Pot O' Gold- not as intense a maple infusion to me but pleasant and it also has a Turkish element.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
It's decent. I have an open tin from a few months ago, but have only smoked a couple of bowls of it. In fact, now that I think about it, I might fire up a bowl of it right now! :P

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Over the years I have tried to like this blend because I love the taste of Maple. No matter what I find it cloying, overly sweet and leaves a cigarette like stench in my moustache.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
Man when i first got mine i thought it was the bees knees. After a few bowls though, and ive tried again recently, to me it does NOT smoke like it smells. I get more of a chem taste than anything else. But to open the lid and take a whiff, you would think you could pour milk over it and eat it like cereal!

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Well if you are looking for better maple flavored tobaccos there are plenty out there that deliver a solid maple taste. Maple Street Junction, House of Calabash Canadian Maple are all very good blends that all maplephiles oughta check out. Rich's Cigars also has Maple Steamer which is very nice too.
I don't know why I have such a hard time with this blend - a lot of Folks love it - but after a few bowls I am just looking to rinse my mouth out with some mouthwash as this Aro really can stay with you in the aftertaste.
If you like it - more power to you.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
@bogie - Yep I know that feeling, too. This autumn evening has a good enough tin note to fool you into thinking it tastes better than it really does. It's still not bad flavor though, I'll bet there's better maples.
@clanobucklin - I'm lucky enough to not have had too many experiences like that ... recently Esoterica Margate left me wanting to take steel wool to my tongue for a half hour.
@flyfishn - you're a good fellow, pipe brother
And you are right 1Q has been my blend of choice for a while. I've got a lot of others to choose from jarred up but I tend to stick with what is a reliably good smoke. Address on the way, would sure like to try this tobacco.
Thanks all :puffy:

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
To each their own, as they say! I don't smoke a lot of aromatics compared to English or Perique blends, but when I do I generally prefer Autumn Evening. While it is heavily flavored, I get a seriously good hit of deep Virginia flavor as well (which makes since, as this is one of the very very few VA-based aros on the market). I didn't even know there was a bulk version until reading this -- I've been buying the tins for years, and the tin art is my favorite from C&D.

Jul 12, 2011
Picture sent over to C&D, they blend for the piper, why not put a

Beautiful boat on one of their tins...I would ;-)
And if not send me a few exterior images I will put it alongside

some of my new naval style custom cobs I have in the works ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.