PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
I'm really enjoying my early Christmas calabash, it's a wood model from Altinok, not gourd, and I've got a few questions about maintenance, so prepare for some stupid questions :roll:

I've searched through the forums and read a lot of good info, but it all seems to be mainly for the gourd variety. You guys mention using alcohol to rinse the inside, but I'm afraid that might dry out the wood. Another thing is that the inside is a little rough:
966D4C44-ADDE-4E7B-9CE7-C99DEBB42190-1134-0000006A3B766764.jpg

Should I be concerned about this? Also I've smoked a few bowls over the past few days, and wiped the bowl after I'm done, I'm new to meers, but there's a lot more build up than I expected:
9512997C-1809-4EC6-B1BF-AD628F00CC94-1134-0000006A41DB4856.jpg

I hate to ask such a newb question but is that normal? I figured they didn't just wipe clean like Teflon, but still.

Also is the the discoloration around the outside the result of its gradual coloring, or did I inadvertently char the rim a bit?
DFFF305E-0B00-4B68-B8A8-27DED4A5DD52-1134-00000060FCA148E3.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I would just wipe the inside with a paper towel from time to time. Even the gourds are rough on the inside.

However; you might just use a Q-tip with saliva to clean the inside of the bowl.

Meerschaum isn't too fond of alcohol... or liquids for the most part... save the oils produced from smoking great tobaccos.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Thank you Lawrence & rothnh, great info!

@ Lawrence, the alcohol was mentioned for use inside the gourd, but I was afraid it would dry out the wood.
I've wiped out the bowl with dry paper towl immediately after every smoke, but it still looks like this. I guess I should dampen it next time.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
I love this thing, it's quickly becoming my favorite pipe. It requires harder puffing to get it going due to the much, much larger airspace, but once it's going, it is a pleasure to puff! :puffpipe:

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have read that some calabash users pour a little Everclear in their gourds with the stem end covered, swish it around a bit and drain it out the stem end (careful not to get any alcohol on the cork). They then dry the gourd or mahogany out with a paper towel and then let it air dry for a couple of days. I have never tried this on my calabashes so I cannot attest to this procedure. I do wipe the meerschaum bowl out with a paper towel soaked in spirits, after the bowl has completely cooled. I have noticed no ill effects on the bowl from this procedure. (Note: both of my meerschaum cups are carved from block meerschaum and not composite meerschaum which could be affected by this procedure)

Status
Not open for further replies.