PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Am I the only one on the planet that uses the old shaving mug and brush anymore?

Does Wally World keep 1 cake of shaving soap in stock just for me?

While I do have a bit of casket insurance from AARP, I AIN'T THAT OLD!

I came to the realization I'm getting on in years when the mail came today.

For the last six weeks I've been breaking the law.... (A loud gasp from the audience)

That's right I forgot to get my license renewed... I guess I'm suffering from CRS.

:(
FuneralDirector.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Am I the only one on the planet that uses the old shaving mug and brush anymore?
Yes, I think so. I tried it for a while, but the brush hairs always work loose and become most annoying.

Most of the time I eschew canned shaving cream for the more expedient bar soap, all lathered up.

Maybe you could find a mug with a tobacco pipe or smoking theme.

And then again, some anti-smoking wing-nuts might aver that you have!

josh

Lurker
Feb 3, 2010
who shaves ... its too much trouble :) that's why i like the beard :).. though i trim it up every week or two.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
This site has a lot of info on dry shaving. I would like to dry shave, it looks cool. Right now, I use gel, and a fushion with 4 blades.
www.thechap.net

hooligan

Lurker
Jan 31, 2010
I'm with Dunedain on this one. Gillete gel with aloe and Mach 3 razors. Sorry I'm 39. Wouldn't mind trying a straight razor but I'll wait till they make a Kevlar neckerchief.
Oh Dunedain congrats on the new Badge.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I like the brush because you can a hot shave as opposed to a slippery one.

I'm afraid that if I used the gel, I'd cut my self and find my head laying in the sink.

I'm not too fond of more than two blades.

I used to use a straight razor. I quit because it's a pain on the face if you don't get it sharp.

I have a beard also, full in the winter, goatee in the summer.

Been carving them out in 1981 when I was discharged.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Mach 3 and Edge close shave . I used to have a barber who would give a hot towl and a razor shave treatment . I would feel smuge and like a stud for the rest of the day .SOB got old and died on me , have not had a good hair cut or shave in 14 years .I miss Rex he was my friends dad . Old time chair ,Playboys and Popular Mech ,the game was always on .fridge full of cold drinks . men only . Thanks for the haircuts Rex see you on the other side .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mine was named Bob,

A good barber is an arteest!

Bob left us in 83.

Your description sounds just like Bob's shop.

He had an old short Coke bottle machine... you know the one with the long skinny door.

He wouldn't let the Coke guy change the price from a nickel.

Those were real Americans.
Loved that cool breeze on the back of the neck after a visit.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
You are not alone. (insert Outer Limits theme)

A Conk mug, a Parker 92R butterfly razor, Shark blades, a custom Silver tip brush, Tobak soap and Bay Rum after shave from Conk. That's what I use. I'm waiting for the Tabak to run out so I can try Conk's Bay Rum soap.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Way to go Chuck!

A real man.

I could never really get the hang of the proper angle, so I was continually nicking myself.

That's why I gave 'em up.

I use Van Der Hagen deluxe Shave Soap. Get it at Wally World and it's quite adequate, has Aloe Vera & Shea Butter, and is for Heavy Beards.

You know; Looking at your pic, I may have to grow another Handle Bar Mustache.

Looks good, but mine would be Red.

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
I remember the thwacketty thwap sound of my dad sharpening his straight razor on a leather strop every morning. Badger hair shaving brushes and soap cake - he was always immaculate. Me - I don't see the sense of scraping your face with a bit of wet metal in the morning and stubble just irritates the hell outta me. I'm for keeping me beard!!

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Went to the beard but it does take some maintenance to keep it looking good for work. My dad still has a small (what I call collection) stash of old fashioned straight razors, brushes and some really cool mugs. Don't recall him even using them but they are on display at his house.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Mick, I remember the sound of my fathers strop on my arse. : (
Good to hear from you Mick. Did you thaw out?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've never burned anything like that. Sorry to make light of it.

But, my Dad being a Marine Corps Drill Instructor gave me a good A** busting on occasion.

I'm proud to say I deserved every one. :)

I was a little adventurous in my youth.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Glad to hear that.

Mine was mostly for finishing fights that I didn't start.

Dad always told me to "never start a fight, but always finish it". He also said: "I'll give you a butt whoopin' for fightin', so make it worth your while."

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.